• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baptists - Baptism classes

Muffled

Jesus in me
My question is whether baptism classes are a stumbling block for a person to be baptized. It did work that way for me. I disagreed with what was being taught and so figured that I wasn't eligible for baptism eventhough Ihad received Jesus as Lord and Savior. I finally received baptism seven years later at a different church. That church did not make me go through a class but reviewed my testimony. Isn't a persons claim to believe enough?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
My question is whether baptism classes are a stumbling block for a person to be baptized. It did work that way for me. I disagreed with what was being taught and so figured that I wasn't eligible for baptism eventhough Ihad received Jesus as Lord and Savior. I finally received baptism seven years later at a different church. That church did not make me go through a class but reviewed my testimony. Isn't a persons claim to believe enough?
Not knowing what they taught, I think it is best just to go by testimony... and not necessarily reviewing the testimony...

Acts 19: 3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. 4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

:) I noticed that he didn't say, "OK, now that you have believed, we want you to go to 3 classes about baptism". :)

Muffled

Jesus in me
Not knowing what they taught, I think it is best just to go by testimony... and not necessarily reviewing the testimony...

Acts 19: 3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. 4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

:) I noticed that he didn't say, "OK, now that you have believed, we want you to go to 3 classes about baptism". :)

I believe it appears that way but it seems to me that not enough information is given to know whether they did or didn't question the new believers. Certainly there must be better scriptures.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I believe it appears that way but it seems to me that not enough information is given to know whether they did or didn't question the new believers. Certainly there must be better scriptures.

I'm not saying you shouldn't teach them. Certainly you can explain it in two minutes. But there isn't anything where they said they taught them in three classes or two or one.

Acts 10: 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Acts 9:18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I'm not saying you shouldn't teach them. Certainly you can explain it in two minutes. But there isn't anything where they said they taught them in three classes or two or one.

Acts 10: 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Acts 9:18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

I believe the passage that I remember that had an inquisition in it was this one:

Acts 19:2 And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”