• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baptism in Christianity

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
For you perhaps but please do not include all of Christianity in your views.
All the Protestant Reformers including Luther, Zwingli and Calvin held to infant baptism.
Baptism is one of the sacraments established by Christ (holy communion and baptism). Both are simply defined as covenant signs. Baptism is a sign and seal of God's covenant of grace with us and our children.
Baptism assures us that “as surely as water washes away dirt from the body, so certainly [Christ’s] blood and his Spirit wash away . . . all [our] sins”. In other words, baptism is the 'visible' word of God promising us that we are cleansed in Christ's blood, buried with him unto death and that we will rise with Him.
Reformed Christianity rejects the Roman Catholic view of baptism as unbiblical and sub-Christian because it replaces faith as the instrument of justification. In other word baptism does not save us.

Luther, Calvin, etc. teaching does Not mean Bible teachings without the Bible to back them up.
Please don't ignore the little word "if" found at 1 John 1:7 A
The little word "if " carries with it BIG meaning "IF" we........

Sure, baptism does Not save - 1 Peter 3:21 - but the resurrection of Christ Jesus' shed blood " if " we......
The resurrection hope gives us the basis for faith (confidence) in order to dedicate oneself to God as Jesus did.

Five Solas

'To do God's Will' is the dedication one makes to God before immersion ( Christian baptism )

Could you give me the biblical command or explanation for that?

Excluding children from God's covenant (i.e. baptism) is a fairly new thing that started after the Reformation. It is not part of Christian orthodoxy.

Five Solas

If you know anything about Reformed churches, you will know that we strongly hold to doing the will of God BECAUSE we are saved.

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. (James 2:18)

We also teach that children are part of God's convent - they had been in the Old Testament, and they still are. Baptism is a sign of the covenant. Baptism is not about us - it is about God and His promises to us. It is about what God does - the forgiveness of sins and washing sins away. That is biblical.

It is a sacrament commanded by Jesus. The Holy Communion has the same meaning as baptism.

but then there is jesus' baptism, what is that?

Therefore go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Mat. 28:19-20

And:

I indeed baptize you in water for repentance, but he who comes after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you in the Holy Spirit.
Matt. 3:11

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
so there are two baptisms in christianity.

there is the baptism of water by john the baptist. he baptized jesus in the jordan.

John was not doing Christian baptism. What happened in the Jordon was Jewish immersion, like what we do in the mikvah. It serves multiple purposes. Christian baptism came later, with the apostles. Christian baptism is the initiation rite into the Christian church. Both Jewish immersion and Christian baptism involve water.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
John was not doing Christian baptism. What happened in the Jordon was Jewish immersion, like what we do in the mikvah. It serves multiple purposes. Christian baptism came later, with the apostles. Christian baptism is the initiation rite into the Christian church. Both Jewish immersion and Christian baptism involve water.
jesus wasn't baptizing christians either.

jesus never refers to anything as christian. he might use the term christ but that would be the greek term for the messiah.

the name, exodus 3:14, turns common water into wine

Muffled

Jesus in me
Could you give me the biblical command or explanation for that?

Excluding children from God's covenant (i.e. baptism) is a fairly new thing that started after the Reformation. It is not part of Christian orthodoxy.

I believe much of so called Christian orthodoxy was error that needed to be corrected.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe many churches treat it as such but all it is in scripture is obedience of a command by Jesus. In addition to that command is the command to make disciples. As for meaning it would appear to be an element required to enter the Kingdom of God. Salvation is the other element required. John 3:8.

Dogknox20

so there are two baptisms in christianity.

there is the baptism of water by john the baptist. he baptized jesus in the jordan.

Fool good to meet you...

Holy Mother Church.. "The Body of Jesus" baptizes with water... Jesus sends the GIFT the "Holy Spirit!"! It takes two a; Father & Mother to form a baby! The Mother Re-Formes Adams children into God' by the water! Adams children are formed corrupted baptism washes away the sin all are born into!
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus sends the gift "The Holy Spirit" Jesus baptizes with "Fire"!!
The bride baptizes with Water... No one can baptize themselves! A baby is not formed by it' self! Two parents form a Child I was baptized thus "Re-Formed" I have a Father: God... My mother is the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Bide of Jesus!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Fool good to meet you...

Holy Mother Church.. "The Body of Jesus" baptizes with water... Jesus sends the GIFT the "Holy Spirit!"! It takes two a; Father & Mother to form a baby! The Mother Re-Formes Adams children into God' by the water! Adams children are formed corrupted baptism washes away the sin all are born into!
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus sends the gift "The Holy Spirit" Jesus baptizes with "Fire"!!
The bride baptizes with Water... No one can baptize themselves! A baby is not formed by it' self! Two parents form a Child I was baptized thus "Re-Formed" I have a Father: God... My mother is the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Bide of Jesus!
so you genuinely believe jesus drops you in a fire?

Dogknox20

'To do God's Will' is the dedication one makes to God before immersion ( Christian baptism )

I think most people would consider the Golden Rule ( Leviticus 19:18 ) as a Rule made by God.
The Pharisees were making un-scriptural rules - ( human rules outside of Scripture as being Scripture )
For example: Mark 7:3 ( tradition of men - Mark 7:5 )
Those religious leaders were teaching as many clergy do today, they teach clergy teachings as being Scripture.
- Matthew 15:9; Mark 7:7-13

Faith without works is dead according to the Bible - James 2:26
Faith causes people to follow Jesus' instructions found at Matthew 24:13-14 and Acts of the Apostles 1:8

URAVIP2ME I hope all is well...
In Matthew 25...
The Sheep are the saved, Jesus tells us they are Righteous. The Goats have "Faith Alone" Jesus tells us they are exactly as the Sheep but without the Good Works; Jesus tells us they are Satan' Children!

1 John 3:7
Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.

URAVIP2ME Doing right makes us "Righteous"!

Dogknox20

so you genuinely believe jesus drops you in a fire?
The Fire is The Holy Spirit!"

The Holy Spirit (Fire) landed on the followers of Jesus at Pentecost!
Matthew 3:11
“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I believe many churches treat it as such but all it is in scripture is obedience of a command by Jesus. In addition to that command is the command to make disciples. As for meaning it would appear to be an element required to enter the Kingdom of God. Salvation is the other element required. John 3:8.
Well, I'm sure you realize that I'm Jewish, so I don't agree with the whole Christian notion of Salvation by faith.

Dogknox20

“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
Luther, Calvin, etc. teaching does Not mean Bible teachings without the Bible to back them up.

Sure, baptism does Not save - 1 Peter 3:21 - but the resurrection of Christ Jesus' shed blood " if " we......
The resurrection hope gives us the basis for faith (confidence) in order to dedicate oneself to God as Jesus did.
1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

URAVIP2ME You cannot be Cleansed by the blood of Jesus if you do not Drink the blood of Jesus!
The Apostle Drank the Blood of Jesus!
27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

IF..... If you DRINK you have Fellowship! You cannot be cleansed without the Blood of Jesus, they Drank the Blood they Ate the Flesh!!

Dogknox20

Moses and his people were saved by the Red Sea.... Pharos Army was washed away! The washing with the waters of Baptism takes away the sin of Adam, we are formed new, Children of God!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The Fire is The Holy Spirit!"

The Holy Spirit (Fire) landed on the followers of Jesus at Pentecost!
one has a spirit already; so the baptism is inward. like the washing of the cup or plates. so then self is baptized into something about self. the movement is inward; where john the baptists baptism is outward.

luke 12:49

so jesus is just fanning the embers that were already there.

now what is it he breathed upon them?

Breath.JPG

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Could you give me the biblical command or explanation for that?.........................
I find at 1 Peter 4:2-3 mentions the doing of God's Will instead of the 'will of the nations'.
We ask (pray) according to God's Will - 1 John 5:13-14 - thus baptism would be an outward show that one agrees to the doing of God's Will before baptism.
So, baptism would show one no longer desires to live by the flesh (wrong fleshly desires) but now spiritual - 1 Peter 4:3
Jesus came to do God's Will according to Hebrews 10:7,9, thus one would follow in Christ's footsteps, so to speak, choosing to do God's will ' before ' baptism and Not choosing to do that after baptism.
To do God's Will both before and continuing after baptism.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Moses and his people were saved by the Red Sea.... Pharos Army was washed away! The washing with the waters of Baptism takes away the sin of Adam, we are formed new, Children of God!

Yes, inherited adamic sin washed away, away by the blood of Jesus - 1 John 1:7; Hebrews 9:14
Moses and Noah saved through water, and now through the resurrection of Christ Jesus - 1 Peter 3:21B; Ephesians 1:20

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
URAVIP2ME You cannot be Cleansed by the blood of Jesus if you do not Drink the blood of Jesus!
The Apostle Drank the Blood of Jesus!
27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.
IF..... If you DRINK you have Fellowship! You cannot be cleansed without the Blood of Jesus, they Drank the Blood they Ate the Flesh!!

Yes, one must put ' faith ' in Jesus' shed blood - Romans 3:25
To have a clear conscience - Hebrews 9:14; Hebrews 10:22
Release by his ransom price paid - Ephesians 1:7; Matthew 20:28.
Freed from our sins by Jesus' blood - Revelation 1:5 B
Bread to stand for Christ's body, the Cup to stand for the New Covenant - 1 Corinthians 11:24-25
Just as Jesus likened himself to the ' bread of life ' ( manna ) at John 6:35.
Not to work for the food (manna) that perishes but for Jesus as being the figurative ' bread ' of life.
Just as Jesus was also a figurative door, lamp, vine, shepherd, cornerstone, and bridegroom.