• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baptism for the dead

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was looking at veneraton of the deceased and came across this practice

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/temples/what-is-proxy-baptism?lang=eng

And

Why Do We Baptize for the Dead?

I thought it interesting as I only know a little about Catholic saints as intercessors between the Catholic and Christ. I don't know if they believe that with their family but interesting to learn LDS does it.

Many people have the opportunity to accept the gospel and be baptized while they are alive. But what about those who die without being baptized or even knowing about Jesus? How can they also be saved? God has not forgotten them!

Death is not the end of life, but rather a necessary step on our journey back to God. When we die, our spirits temporarily leave our bodies as we enter the spirit world and join family members and others who have also passed away. There we further prepare for that wonderful day when we will be resurrected and our spirits will be reunited with perfected bodies that are free from sickness, disease, and all the disabilities and...

Last edited:

LightofTruth

I don't think Paul is saying that a living person can be baptized for a dead person as a proxy. The context of the chapter concerns the resurrection of the dead and not baptism.

"Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?"

Paul explains in Romans 6 that baptism is symbolic of death, burial and resurrection. So, if the dead do not rise, then baptism for them, or on their behalf, is nonsense.

Heyo

Veteran Member