• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banning Cell Phone Use while Driving

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'll take the health concerns about public smoking seriously when they decide that nobody should have to breathe anybody else's automobile exhaust.

A person likes twinkies and ice cream along with pizza and mayonnaise. They want to start losing weight. They decide to cut out the twinkies and ice cream but continue with the pizza and mayonnaise on their sandwiches. Does that person not take their health seriously because they only cut out some of the fatty things they were eating?

There are obviously other fumes people shouldn't be subjected to, but cutting out car fumes altogether and immediately is not reasonable. Cutting out smoking from public placesover the course of several years is. One thing at a time. Just because they cut out the one that was reasonably simple and left the other one for later doesn't mean they aren't serious about it.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I agree. But nobody needs to be in a bar, and if there were really any demand for non-smoking bars you could open one and it would do great business. For some reason, in cities where smoking is allowed, people stay away from non-smoking bars in droves. Therefore, busybodies decided they would impact the lives of people who enjoy normal bars by making their choices for them.

Because that's the only way to do it. As I said above, give it a few years. At that point, I'd bet that non-smoking bars would do at least as well as smoking bars because people will be used to the idea and smokers will be used to having to go outside.

No, no one needs to be in a bar, but you shouldn't have to deal with smoke to go to one. It's not that big a deal to go outside to smoke. I used to have to do it, and I used to go outside at home to smoke because I didn't want to smoke up the house. Now, I go to bars with a bunch of friends who smoke, and it's not a big deal to go outside.

No one's making choices for anyone, though. You can still smoke, you just have to go outside. It's like anything else. I don't care if you drink, as long as you don't drink and drive and affect me. I don't care if you want to smoke, just do it outside.

I know you're not going to like the analogy, but this is fairly similar to a lot of Christians these days who think their freedom of religion is being taken away just because their ability to impose their beliefs on others is being eroded. Smokers' rights aren't being taken away, just the ability to impose smoking on everyone else.

I would be all for allowing smoking in some bars or possibly even all bars after a period of 10, maybe 20 years.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I think if its not "hand held" like you have to hold the phone to your ear and you have a headset it would be no differnt than talking to someone in the car with you.

But you would need to make the call or answer the call while not moving.

I have seen what looked like a total drunk on the road...I mean going maybe 25 miles and hour in a 45 in the left lane swerving into the other lanes ..I passed the person (I was behind them) in the middle lane..It was a lady on a cell phone..she was looking at the cell phone though and also she leaned over (like to the passenger side of the car to retrieve something)..

Next thing I know there was a cop behind her and they put the lights on and pulled her over.Im assuming..Ironicially either someone called 911 on thier celll phone ot reportt her as a drunk driver or by coincidence the cops spotted her.

Middle of day too.This was about 3 years ago.I dont think its "illegal" here to drive while talking on a cell phone.But she should have gotten a "wreckless" driving ticket for sure.As she was swerving into other lanes onto oncoming traffic.

I personally dont use my cell phone in my car unless Im talking when I get in it to leave already.I wont answer it or dial out while driving..Whatever it is someone needs can wait.

I seriously cant imagine someone "texting" while driving.

It reminds of the warning that cracks me up till I fall on the floor from laughing for a hand held vac I got for Christsmas last year.It flat out said do not "operate"(vaccum") while operating a vehicle.

Thats my humble opinion.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I dont think its "illegal" here to drive while talking on a cell phone.
As of 3 months ago, it is illegal in many cities (including yours) to drive through a school zone while talking on a mobile phone. Not that there have ever been any reported deaths, injuries, or even accidents attributed to it, but lots of people thought we needed a law just in case.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
How exactly does a police officer in another automobile accurately ascertain whether you're texting, or simply dialing your phone?
That and how can they tell if you were simply playing your mp3s or talking while on speaker?
Btw, I'm posting this on my IPhone as I drive.

Amill

Apikoros
I'll take calls when I'm driving on the road but I generally wait until I'm stopped before dialing someone. I don't think talking on the phone and driving is that big of a deal, or at least I certainly don't have any problems doing it. I think looking at the phone is far worse, whether your trying to find the contact on your phone or texting someone. I text every now and then but it is pretty stupid and I have reduced how much I do it. I never text someone while driving unless they need a quick reply. I'll usually wait until I'm done driving or at a stop light or something.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I'll take calls when I'm driving on the road but I generally wait until I'm stopped before dialing someone. I don't think talking on the phone and driving is that big of a deal, or at least I certainly don't have any problems doing it. I think looking at the phone is far worse, whether your trying to find the contact on your phone or texting someone. I text every now and then but it is pretty stupid and I have reduced how much I do it. I never text someone while driving unless they need a quick reply. I'll usually wait until I'm done driving or at a stop light or something.

Studies say differently.

.lava

Veteran Member
Studies in the US and Britian have concluded that using a phone when driving impairs someone as much as being drunk while driving.

i think they might be right. IMO not just holding a phone might cause accidents, also what driver hears through his phone might distract him too. what if someone says something you don't expect to hear? maybe driver would feel upset all of a sudden or would be worried about something...these emotions disctract people. well, anyways..i don't know :) i think it should be banned.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I think texting while driving is a bad idea, because that's like typing on a computer while driving, which sounds ridiculous to me, and very much like a hazard. However, I can hardly imagine how anyone managed to drive without having a cell phone readily available. What if I'm driving and I don't know how to get somewhere? I call my mom and ask her, or my sister, or whomever would know, while I'm driving... such as, "I'm driving passed pizza hut! Should I turn soon? I'm at walgreens now! Have I gone to far?" Without my phone, I'd be lost frequently. It would be a horrible inconvenience to have to park my car in order to call someone.

And I cannot imagine how it would be any more distracting than just talking to a passenger in your car. If they won't let us talk on cell phones, they are going to have to make it where we cannot have passengers in our cars either. It's virtually the same thing, except one of your hands is holding the phone... I don't need two hands to drive. I'm a pro.

I think texting while driving is a bad idea, because that's like typing on a computer while driving, which sounds ridiculous to me, and very much like a hazard. However, I can hardly imagine how anyone managed to drive without having a cell phone readily available. What if I'm driving and I don't know how to get somewhere? I call my mom and ask her, or my sister, or whomever would know, while I'm driving... such as, "I'm driving passed pizza hut! Should I turn soon? I'm at walgreens now! Have I gone to far?" Without my phone, I'd be lost frequently. It would be a horrible inconvenience to have to park my car in order to call someone.

And I cannot imagine how it would be any more distracting than just talking to a passenger in your car. If they won't let us talk on cell phones, they are going to have to make it where we cannot have passengers in our cars either. It's virtually the same thing, except one of your hands is holding the phone... I don't need two hands to drive. I'm a pro.

This is so annoying, there is nothing worse than having someone just blithely set off on a journey without first finding out how to get there, then they ring you on their mobiles and are all, ''Oh I'm next to a shop, emm there are houses and cars, how do I get to where I'm going''' then they expect you to stay on the line with them while they give you a blow by blow account of every little light and turning in between where they are and their destination. It makes me so mad, mobiles are turning people into helpless babies, rant intermission for breath, and another thing why does a mobile phone give you permission to be late for everything (I am swerving away from wimnc at this point and using you to mean anyone who ever phoned me to let me know they are running late because of traffic or whatever, I am very intollerant today ) and why do people think they have the right to tell me I should have MY phone turned on because they wanted to contact me, key word here MY phone, I didn't buy it to make your life convenient, I bought it to make my life convenient, with mixed results.

angry_old_lady_with_cane.jpg

The driving thing I'm torn on, I wouldn't do it myself, because it probably does distract, but equally having it go off in the boot and knowing you have a missed call or a message also distracts :shrug:

kai

ragamuffin
do you think looking out the windows while driving can be distracting? do you think music from the radio is distracting? how about talking to passengers? or passengers themselves are they distracting? hanging dice or Madonnas and rosaries are they distracting. sattalite navigation ?

do you think looking out the windows while driving can be distracting? do you think music from the radio is distracting? how about talking to passengers? or passengers themselves are they distracting? hanging dice or Madonnas and rosaries are they distracting. sattalite navigation ?

Not to mention having kids in the back seat squabbling or a baby crying, this is why I say I am torn, my main problem with the phones, is that personally when I am on the phone I am concentrating on the other person on the end of the line, so at some level I am divided consciously between where I am and where they are, where as with the other distractions you are still consciously in the car.

I also live in the city and have seen some pretty nutso driving from people who are on the phone, but then again, I can't say if there are more bad drivers on the phone than not on the phone.

kai

ragamuffin
has anyone ever got to their destination and cant recall remember most of the journey? now that's distracted huh?

PureX

Veteran Member
It should be illegal to do anything other than drive an automobile while driving an automobile. No eating, no putting on make-up, no reading or writing of any kind, no having sex, no drinking or drugging, no sleeping, etc. If your car is rigged for complete hands-free phone operation, that could probably be allowable. And if caught doing these things, there should be a hefty fine involved, and you lose you license until you pay it. If you get caught driving while the license is suspended, you get a weekend in jail and a longer suspension. Do it again, and you get more jail time.

I don't agree with helmet and seat belt laws, however. Ignoring these don't place other people in danger.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
has anyone ever got to their destination and cant recall remember most of the journey? now that's distracted huh?

Dude, I do that all the time (well, not all the time, but I've done it a good number of times).

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It should be illegal to do anything other than drive an automobile while driving an automobile. No eating, no putting on make-up, no reading or writing of any kind, no having sex, no drinking or drugging, no sleeping, etc. If your car is rigged for complete hands-free phone operation, that could probably be allowable. And if caught doing these things, there should be a hefty fine involved, and you lose you license until you pay it. If you get caught driving while the license is suspended, you get a weekend in jail and a longer suspension. Do it again, and you get more jail time.

Wow. Well, I'm glad you're not making the laws.

I don't agree with helmet and seat belt laws, however. Ignoring these don't place other people in danger.

The point is not whether they'll hurt other people. The point is that if I hit someone not wearing a helmet, and the accident is my fault, their injuries could be made much worse. Then, when I have to pay for their care, it costs even more.

As far as seat belt laws, it sure as hell could hurt someone else to not wear a seatbelt. If a person not wearing a seatbelt gets in an accident, they could easily be thrown from the vehicle and cause more harm to the other people involved. Plus, the reason given for wearing helmets also applies here.

PureX

Veteran Member
Wow. Well, I'm glad you're not making the laws.
Hey, if I were in charge I'd change the entire criminal justice system to this kind of progressive behavioral response system and away from our current idiotic vengeance based system.
The point is not whether they'll hurt other people. The point is that if I hit someone not wearing a helmet, and the accident is my fault, their injuries could be made much worse. Then, when I have to pay for their care, it costs even more.

As far as seat belt laws, it sure as hell could hurt someone else to not wear a seatbelt. If a person not wearing a seatbelt gets in an accident, they could easily be thrown from the vehicle and cause more harm to the other people involved. Plus, the reason given for wearing helmets also applies here.
Yeah, here in 'Lawyer Land' there's no such thing as an accident. But in reality land, accidents happen every day. Which is why if I were in charge, we would only insure ourselves, to cover our own misfortunes. If you or the state wants to sue to assign fault, you do it in criminal court.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Hey, if I were in charge I'd change the entire criminal justice system to this kind of progressive behavioral response system and away from our current idiotic vengeance based system.

Is that why in your scenario someone should go to jail if they're caught driving with a suspended license?

I wasn't even commenting on that. I was commenting on the strict nature of your ideas.

Yeah, here in 'Lawyer Land' there's no such thing as an accident. But in reality land, accidents happen every day.

Huh?

Which is why if I were in charge, we would only insure ourselves, to cover our own misfortunes. If you or the state wants to sue to assign fault, you do it in criminal court.

So, if someone t-bones you destroying your car and putting you in the hospital for 2 weeks, and, assuming your insurance covers it, your premium then quadruples, that's fair? This isn't about assigning fault. This is about the person who's responsible for something being the one to pay for it. If you're the cause of the accident, it should be noted on the record, so that in the future that accident doesn't count against me.

Look, you said not wearing your seat belt or a helmet doesn't place other people in danger. We could debate the helmet part, but the not wearing a seat belt certainly does place others in danger.