• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banned

Jacksnyte

Reverend
:confused:
I was just curious: upon reading many of the threads on this site, I have noticed a very large number of people listed as "banned" on here. Now, I know most forums have policies that can result in someone getting banned, but I have never seen so many! Are there really that many people who break the rules to that extent, or is there something else going on here? :confused:

Last edited:
autobahn_msnbc.jpg

Autobahn? :confused:

Jacksnyte

Reverend
What other forums are you referring to?

I have been on a large number of forums covering an extremely wide variety of subjects(honestly couldn't list them all here, as I have participated in various forums since around 1997), and I have never seen so many banned people!

I have been on a large number of forums covering an extremely wide variety of subjects(honestly couldn't list them all here, as I have participated in various forums since around 1997), and I have never seen so many banned people!

Name a couple of the forums, how can we explain the difference if we can't see the difference?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
:confused:
I was just curious: upon reading many of the threads on this site, I have noticed a very large number of people listed as "banned" on here. Now, I know most forums have policies that can result in someone getting banned, but I have never seen so many! Are there really that many people who break the rules to that extent, or is there something else going on here? :confused:
I can't speak to specific cases because of confidentiality issues, but in general, quite a few of the people you see listed as "banned" are duplicate accounts for banned members.

It takes quite a bit to get banned here - if you have a look at our rules page, you can see the normal procedure. However, once a person is banned, they stay banned, so if they open up a new account, it gets banned immediately as well.

As a ballpark guess, I'd say that for every 10 accounts that show up as "banned", 8 or 9 of them are duplicate accounts for previously banned users.

Something else to keep in mind: I'm not sure of other forums' policies, but I suspect that some of them might delete all of a user's posts when they're banned. Typically, we'll only delete those posts that break the rules themselves. Also, I'm not sure how many forums make it as obvious as RF does that a user has been banned.

Many forums also merge accounts of posters with more than one identity and some forums do an ip check before you join.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
It just concerns me because I very much like the discussions I have read so far, and I wouldn't want to suddenly find myself banned and wondering why!

I can't speak to specific cases because of confidentiality issues, but in general, quite a few of the people you see listed as "banned" are duplicate accounts for banned members.

It takes quite a bit to get banned here - if you have a look at our rules page, you can see the normal procedure. However, once a person is banned, they stay banned, so if they open up a new account, it gets banned immediately as well.

As a ballpark guess, I'd say that for every 10 accounts that show up as "banned", 8 or 9 of them are duplicate accounts for previously banned users.

Something else to keep in mind: I'm not sure of other forums' policies, but I suspect that some of them might delete all of a user's posts when they're banned. Typically, we'll only delete those posts that break the rules themselves. Also, I'm not sure how many forums make it as obvious as RF does that a user has been banned.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
From what I have seen, the staff here takes every step that they can to deal with a problem before resorting to banning. You usually will not see why the member was banned because the thing that got them banned gets deleted. The only ones you will see get banned right away are spammers and folks like that. Don't worry. If you are here for mature discussion without bashing the beliefs and lifestyles of others you probably don't have much to worry about. :)