• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's a video 8 minutes long talking about how the plastic recycling industry has conspired to fool us into thinking many plastics are recyclable which actually are not.

The plastic identification numbers on plastic containers is made to falsely imitate a recycling symbol. In truth the triple arrow triangle does not indicate 'Recyclable' at all. Only plastics in categories 1 and 2 have a chance of being recyclable by themselves and not always even then, AND it will always be more expensive and energy intensive to recycle rather than to make new plastic.

In fact much of the plastic put into plastic recycling bins is redirected to landfills, since it cannot be recycled easily. The plastic industry lies about this, the governments lie about it, and the plastic load continues to build.

These things the plastic industry has conspired to misinform the public about, fearing a ban of plastics. This fear and this conspiracy has been maintained since WWII. The industry has also pressed for the manufacture of single use plastics, encouraging the public to toss our plastic into the trash.

I'm attaching the 8 minute vid and attaching its auto generated transcript as a text file.

Transcript attached:

Supplementary web pages:
Plastics: What’s Recyclable, What Becomes Trash — And Why
Which Plastic Can Be Recycled? | Plastics For Change
Which Plastics Are Recyclable By Number?

Attachments

• Plastic_video.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 1

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
So if we ban plastics they will switch to paper and cardboard like products, which further deforestation and increase CO2 emissions

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Single use plastic bags have been banned in france since 2017. Since 2020 much other platic material such as plastic straws, cups and plates have also been banned.

However with the bags there is a loophole, the if the plastic is more than 50 microns thick it is considered reusable although in reality such bags are disposed of after one use.

Personally I won't by from a shop that does not offer paper packaging.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
So if we ban plastics they will switch to paper and cardboard like products, which further deforestation and increase CO2 emissions
Well in a way yes, however producing a sheet of plastic releases a lot more carbon than burning a piece of paper. I say this understanding what you mean though. I'm not the plastic answer guy, however I can say for sure it takes a lot of heat to convert fossil fuel to plastic and a lot more to recycle plastic. That heat usually comes from burning coal, though it can come from other sources. Overall I think making and recycling plastic releases more carbon. I also think paper is less damaging to the environment, since bacteria and invertebrates can eat it. Plastic also doesn't harm animals that accidentally eat it.

***edit***
Also deforestation in my country is not so bad, because we are growing a lot more trees than we cut down. We accomplished this by some sort of goverment program rewarding farmers for growing trees on the land. Now there are just trees everywhere. In some states you drive down a highway and see trees for miles in every direction. They literally grow trees to make paper out of.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Single use plastic bags have been banned in france since 2017. Since 2020 much other platic material such as plastic straws, cups and plates have also been banned.

However with the bags there is a loophole, the if the plastic is more than 50 microns thick it is considered reusable although in reality such bags are disposed of after one use.

Personally I won't by from a shop that does not offer paper packaging.
Which brings up a good question. How can we get by without plastic bags? I love plastic bags.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Here's a video 8 minutes long talking about how the plastic recycling industry has conspired to fool us into thinking many plastics are recyclable which actually are not.

The plastic identification numbers on plastic containers is made to falsely imitate a recycling symbol. In truth the triple arrow triangle does not indicate 'Recyclable' at all. Only plastics in categories 1 and 2 have a chance of being recyclable by themselves and not always even then, AND it will always be more expensive and energy intensive to recycle rather than to make new plastic.

In fact much of the plastic put into plastic recycling bins is redirected to landfills, since it cannot be recycled easily. The plastic industry lies about this, the governments lie about it, and the plastic load continues to build.

These things the plastic industry has conspired to misinform the public about, fearing a ban of plastics. This fear and this conspiracy has been maintained since WWII. The industry has also pressed for the manufacture of single use plastics, encouraging the public to toss our plastic into the trash.

I'm attaching the 8 minute vid and attaching its auto generated transcript as a text file.

Transcript attached:

Supplementary web pages:
I don't do videos but I did read the NPR link. That seemed to say exactly what our local council says: bottles, yoghourt cartons etc., can be recycled, crisp packets, cling film, expanded polystyrene not.

The grey area, where I live, is the plastic trays that supermarket meat often comes in. I wash those out and put them in the recycling bag on the principle that it they are not recyclable the nuisance value of removing them at the sorting station may create pressure on the supermarkets to do it differently.

Regarding cling film, I use it (a fair bit, now that I live alone), on the basis that a fraction of a gram of this stuff can save the methane emissions from food thrown away due to spoilage. But I don't pretend the film can be recycled.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't think so. Paper and card goods come from trees grown as a cash crop, i.e. grown, harvested and replanted. The CO2 emitted when they break down is absorbed by the next tree as it grows, more or less. Though like anything in life there is CO2 generated in the harvesting, processing and transport.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't do videos but I did read the NPR link. That seemed to say exactly what our local council says: bottles, yoghourt cartons etc., can be recycled, crisp packets, cling film, expanded polystyrene not.

The grey area, where I live, is the plastic trays that supermarket meat often comes in. I wash those out and put them in the recycling bag on the principle that it they are not recyclable the nuisance value of removing them out at the sorting station may create pressure on the supermarkets to do it differently.

Regarding cling film, I use it (a fair bit, now that I live alone), on the basis that a fraction of a gram of this stuff can save the methane emissions from food thrown away due to spoilage. But I don't pretend the film can be recycled.
Spoken with concern about every gram and mole, just like a chemist! :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Which brings up a good question. How can we get by without plastic bags? I love plastic bags.

I am quite happy with my basket shopping bag and canvas bag. And with plastic going out of fashion and more people going for traditional carriers i don't look as much like a lefty tree hugger as i did 6 years ago.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Also we could also ban single use paper. This would, of course, decimate both the plastic and paper industries at one time; so it would be a very difficult fight. On the other hand if you ban single use plastics you might be able to get help from the paper industry to fund your lobbying etc. Pit one against the other.

amorphous_constellation

Well a key issue is that when you recycle it, our general corporate culture decided that it is not aesthetically pleasing, because the plastic will look imperfect. It might look multi-colored, or have dirt specks in it, or waves etc. Plenty of stuff can be recycled, it is just rejected

So then if it's rejected, hopefully companies send it to be melted down again, but then that of course takes heat energy.. Better to just use the product as it comes out, even when your trying to go from orange to blue, and it looks funny

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
The solution is not to ban plastics, but to tax disposable plastics to make them more costly to employ than recyclable plastics. And then use the revenue from that to encourage the development of better alternatives.

We will never do this, of course, because the corporations control the government and the media, and they will threaten us with high prices if we dare to consider such a tax, and they can simply bribe any politician considering such measures. So it'll never happen. Even though it should.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Transcript attached:

Supplementary web pages:

We need to get rid of "single use" plastics yes. But we also need to make biodegradable plastics available.

Hemp is one option.
Hemp Plastics: A Look at the Pros and Cons

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Transcript attached:

Supplementary web pages:

It’s a tragedy really,before plastic it was paper and cardboard,fish and chips wrapped in newspaper and general shopping items in glass for liquids and paper for the rest,even food went for pigswill now it’s just a throwaway society.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
We need to get rid of "single use" plastics yes. But we also need to make biodegradable plastics available.

Hemp is one option.
Hemp Plastics: A Look at the Pros and Cons
There is also now a mushroom which can be used as a plastic, and it is biodegradable.

Biodegradable mushroom packaging from Ecovative Designs | The Kid Should See This

The solution is not to ban plastics, but to tax disposable plastics to make them more costly to employ than recyclable plastics. And then use the revenue from that to encourage the development of better alternatives.

We will never do this, of course, because the corporations control the government and the media, and they will threaten us with high prices if we dare to consider such a tax, and they can simply bribe any politician considering such measures. So it'll never happen. Even though it should.
I wish you'd give us the benefit of the doubt rather than saying we'll never do it. If USA has proven anything its that we occasionally ban things -- even alcohol. Banning is very easy to vote for, very simple. If people get excited something like that can be a very popular voting item.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
A lot of disabled folk have to use single use plastic straws. Heres a chart explaining why, where the xs are that's a strike against it
upload_2021-9-27_14-51-22.png

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
A lot of disabled folk have to use single use plastic straws. Heres a chart explaining why, where the xs are that's a strike against it
View attachment 55787
Note: this seems accurate from talking to many disabled folk. I'm sure being that environmental issues effect the disabled harder then most if they could use alternatives some would. It's just some can't use any but single use straws. I dont know much about the source of graphic but again I've talked to many disabled folk. Many wish they could use alternitives but have to stick with plastic cause it's the most accessible option due to many of the reasons listed. I can find some more resources if anyone is interested. I just didn't feel like looking up more sources that I've seen if no one cares about the topic.