• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ban on Afghan schoolgirls singing in public slammed

danieldemol

Premium Member
'An Afghan-based rights group has condemned a decision by authorities to ban schoolgirls from singing at public events, saying they should “not promote gender discrimination”.

Afghanistan’s Ministry of Education said in a letter, leaked to the media on Wednesday, that female students over the age of 12 would no longer be allowed to sing in public ceremonies unless the event in question was all-female. It also said that the female students would not be taught by male music teachers.'

It looks to me as though the government is caving to pressure from the Taliban.

'Since the overthrow of the Taliban in an invasion by US-led forces, Afghan women have gained a number of rights that they are worried will now be eroded as the Afghan government tries to negotiate a peace agreement with the armed group, which has fought the government and foreign forces for 20 years.'

Source: Ban on Afghan schoolgirls singing in public slammed

Can you imagine a world where either the government or armed militants harass you for listening to singing, or where militants kill female reporters all due to the militant interpretation of a religion?

Last edited:

ajay0

'An Afghan-based rights group has condemned a decision by authorities to ban schoolgirls from singing at public events, saying they should “not promote gender discrimination”.

Afghanistan’s Ministry of Education said in a letter, leaked to the media on Wednesday, that female students over the age of 12 would no longer be allowed to sing in public ceremonies unless the event in question was all-female. It also said that the female students would not be taught by male music teachers.'

It looks to me as though the government is caving to pressure from the Taliban.

'Since the overthrow of the Taliban in an invasion by US-led forces, Afghan women have gained a number of rights that they are worried will now be eroded as the Afghan government tries to negotiate a peace agreement with the armed group, which has fought the government and foreign forces for 20 years.'

Source: Ban on Afghan schoolgirls singing in public slammed

Can you imagine a world where either the government or armed militants harass you for listening to singing, or where militants kill female reporters all due to the militant interpretation of a religion?

Issue is obviously the pressure from the Taliban. In nearby Pakistan, muslim women singers don't have such restrictions imposed on themselves.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Actually music that praise Allah is not Haram:)

Yes, because it's religious music. From what I read, a good deal of Muslims seem to believe that music is forbidden unless it is religious, without instruments, and sung by males only. I can't tell how widespread this rule is, but it seemed important enough that Cat Stevens made a very long creative pause/ gave up his career for becoming Yusuf Islam.

A bit old, but here's a source regarding Cat Stevens: Q&A: Yusuf Islam on music and faith

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes, because it's religious music. From what I read, a good deal of Muslims seem to believe that music is forbidden unless it is religious, without instruments, and sung by males only. I can't tell how widespread this rule is, but it seemed important enough that Cat Stevens made a very long creative pause/ gave up his career for becoming Yusuf Islam.

A bit old, but here's a source regarding Cat Stevens: Q&A: Yusuf Islam on music and faith
What you say is correct in my understanding:)
The reason as far as i know is because praise of Allah is more important than praise of wordly things or feelings

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I never understood the ban on music in Islam as using music (including instruments) in worship and celebration is found all over the Bible, features in Judaism, is a fundamental part of Christian worship and in depictions of Heaven in Christianity.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Islam destroyed the talents of a great and beautiful singer. Rip classic cat.