• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ban Gas Stoves? More enviro-nonesense on the way. Now at State level because of Federal level outcry

jbg

Hochul quietly sneaks in proposal to ban sale of gas stoves, fuels outrage in NY

(link in headline, excerpt below)
NY Post said:
Here’s something that will leave a bad taste in people’s mouths.
Gov. Kathy Hochul quietly snuck a proposal to outlaw new gas stoves into the “New York Housing Compact” she unveiled during her State of the State speech Tuesday — urging people to ditch their kitchens’ gas grills and go electric. The ban would affect old-timers and millennials who are obsessed with cast-iron pans, which are tricky to use on electric stoves.
Unfortunately this could really happen. Both houses of New York's legislature are under overwhelming Democratic control. It could got through like greased lightening. The problem is that the voters are apathetic wusses. Oh, they'll shriek like a banshee when this hits, and it will be too late to do anything. This is the same with the initial Covid lockdowns, the start of mandatory recycling, and the coming ban on internal combustion vehicles.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You certainly hate science, don't you. What we see in China today is what would have happened here without the initial lockdowns until vaccines were developed and enough protective gear manufactured.

As C. S. Lewis wrote in the Great Divorce:
"Every disease that submits to a cure shall be cured: but we will not call blue yellow to please those who insist on still having jaundice, nor make a midden of the world’s garden for the sake of some who cannot abide the smell of roses.”

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Hochul quietly sneaks in proposal to ban sale of gas stoves, fuels outrage in NY

Unfortunately this could really happen. Both houses of New York's legislature are under overwhelming Democratic control. It could got through like greased lightening. The problem is that the voters are apathetic wusses. Oh, they'll shriek like a banshee when this hits, and it will be too late to do anything. This is the same with the initial Covid lockdowns, the start of mandatory recycling, and the coming ban on internal combustion vehicles.
Yes I hate progress too.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

You have a problem with mandatory recycling too? Does that kaso mean we should ban wearing seatbelts too. No helmet laws are necessary either, eh? Speed limits? Who needs em.

While I am not pleased with the prospect of banning gas stoves, because I own one; I see the benefits of doing so for the long term.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
There's nothing tricky about using cast iron on a electric stove.
If they ban gas stoves only outlaws will have gas.

I'm against the over regulation of people's lives, and I think the purpose has nothing to do with safety but complete control on every little thing we do.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I'm against the over regulation of people's lives, and I think the purpose has nothing to do with safety but complete control on every little thing we do.
Well it is the New York Post. It is far from being a reliable source. I have several cast iron pans. More than I need. And an electric stove because gas lines do not exist in my neighborhood. It drove me nuts one year when my water heater died and I had been seeing all of these natural gas commercials only to find out that there was no gas in my area.

At any rate the OP seems to be unaware of the connection between an increased asthma rate in children and gas stoves. That is not a "left wing" finding it is a scientific one. The same was found to be the case in Australia. And if a person just hates standard electric ranges they should opt for induction next time that they buy a new stove.

Even if this was true it is not a ban on existing gas stoves. If a person has a gas stove they are free to use it. It is new ones that would be banned and this is how bans that should be done are often accomplished.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Not for long. They will reject the assertions by scientists that carbon monoxide is harmful and they will pump more of it into their houses, an seal things up tight.

I kind of do too. I don't mind people who reject good advice and science killing themselves off, to clear the gene pool. But unfortunately some of these folks have kids, and their poor judgment puts their kids lives in danger, so someone has to do something to help the children. I understand that post-birth children are not a huge priority for the right, but at least the left accepts science and uses reason as an expression of how they are authentically pro-life.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Not for long. They will reject the assertions by scientists that carbon monoxide is harmful and they will pump more of it into their houses, an seal things up tight.

I kind of do too. I don't mind people who reject good advice and science killing themselves off, to clear the gene pool. But unfortunately some of these folks have kids, and their poor judgment puts their kids lives in danger, so someone has to do something to help the children. I understand that post-birth children are not a huge priority for the right, but at least the left accepts science and uses reason as an expression of how they are authentically pro-life.
Lol, the vast majority of the people already have gas stoves in many areas, and they're not dying off. Funny stuff.
The only reason I don't is because my property falls between two gas Wells. It's kind of the luck of the draw here when you get a gas well on your property or not and whether it produces enough to heat your house and cook your food. If you have a decent well on your property you would be a fool not too take advantage of it. I heat with firewood and even cook on a wood stove at times, but also have an electric stove.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Lol, the vast majority of the people already have gas stoves in many areas, and they're not dying off. Funny stuff.
The only reason I don't is because my property falls between two gas Wells. It's kind of the luck of the draw here when you get a gas well on your property or not and whether it produces enough to heat your house and cook your food. If you have a decent well on your property you would be a fool not too take advantage of it. I heat with firewood and even cook on a wood stove at times, but also have an electric stove.
You need to pay better attention. Your claims is just like those that say "There are countless people smoking and you do not see them dying off".

Just getting a gas stove is not a death sentence. But it can be shown to raise the asthma risk among children. That is why you go the dig about not being pro-life once the fetus is delivered.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You need to pay better attention. Your claims is just like those that say "There are countless people smoking and you do not see them dying off".

Just getting a gas stove is not a death sentence. But it can be shown to raise the asthma risk among children. That is why you go the dig about not being pro-life once the fetus is delivered.
Living is a risk. Common sense is the cure.

Let's look at the real agenda.

"It’s another example of the federal government reaching in and trying to control people’s lives,” says Jason Hayes, director of environmental policy at the Mackinac Center for Public policy, a Michigan-based free market think tank. “It’s more related to an overarching goal to remove fossil fuels from use.”

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Living is a risk. Common sense is the cure.

Let's look at the real agenda.

"It’s another example of the federal government reaching in and trying to control people’s lives,” says Jason Hayes, director of environmental policy at the Mackinac Center for Public policy, a Michigan-based free market think tank. “It’s more related to an overarching goal to remove fossil fuels from use.”
Oh my!!! A right wing think tank opposes an action taken to protect children. I am shocked!

Seriously, look at the sources that you use and their agendas. Now you may disagree with the findings about childhood asthma, but if you try to claim that it is because the government wants to meddle you would be wrong. Again.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Same here in Holland, suddenly science came up with a new hoax, IMO, being "use of gas will make children very sick" on the front pages of the newspapers.

Good we have now the news worldwide. Two coincidences most will say...not me

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Same here in Holland, suddenly science came up with a new hoax, IMO, being "use of gas will make children very sick" on the front pages of the newspapers.

Good we have now the news worldwide. So, reading that in the USA they use also similar gas tactics like in Holland. A bit stupid I would say. That's the thing with narcissists, when they get too confident they make big mistakes, like this one.
Just because a click bait title was used by the popular press does not make it a hoax. What evidence do you have that this is a hoax and not a recent discovery?

F1fan

Veteran Member
That is funny. What isn’t funny is how deadly gases can harm health. As a contractor I have for years warning clients about gas stoves. At the very least I suggest they install high capacity exhaust fans and use them.

one reason people don’t die from stoves is because they are short term use, unlike furnaces. And many older homes have poor efficiency windows and doors so they do benefit from fresh air coming in. The dilemma is newer high efficiency homes that have very little air loss and these gases can accumulate and affect health.

Do you know what carbon monoxide poisoning is? Well what happens is that as CM is inhaled it gets into the bloodstream and displaces oxygen on red blood cells. At low concentrations the body can eliminate it and avoid symptoms. If the exposure is high and consistent the tissue using oxygen will start to die. This is especially bad for the brain. This is why people lose consciousness, they are suffocating. What makes this worse than typical suffocation is that oxygen is readily available in the bloodstream to help revive a person. But with blood saturated with CM the efforts to revive take longer and a higher chance of death.

But even low level long term exposure can affect health, as the studies reveal. Athletes are protected more given their biological efficiency, but their performance will be affected.

As long as you ventilate your stove you should be ok for the most part. Having windows open helps a lot. The dangerous times are winter when the house is closed and heat is moving air all through the house. This will help dilute the CM but it is still a hazard that should be respected.

F1fan

Veteran Member

Hoax? Not really. It will be normal for many who made a decision to have gas stoves to react negatively to this science report. This is how people might reject facts they don’t like and justify a flawed prior judgment. No one wants to see themselves as making poor judgments. The tricks the mind plays which fools the self is an indicator of poor judgment, and also gets ignored.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Unfortunately your ilk doesn't give a damn about the environment, how we need it to be healthy, and how resources are limited.
This is why scientists and not boneheaded laymen with nothing better than an opinion derived from casting chicken bones should guide policy regarding such things.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Peer reviewed science is now a hoax?:rolleyes:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Peer reviewed science is now a hoax?:rolleyes:

You would think that people who try to debate on the internet would learn how to see past click bait titles. I can understand not reading clickbait. It is a rather disgusting tactic to get people to read articles. But I also like it when people use articles with clickbait against me. Over 90% of the time I find that the actual article disagrees with the person trying to use it. In other words they refute themselves by posting a link to an article where they barely read anything more than the title, or they are easily refuted. It is very rare that a clickbait title properly supports a science denier.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Our great Supreme Leader in the People's Republic of New York. Oh Hail our SupremeChairwoman!

She does it to show her great love and caring for all fellow comrades. Provided of course you comply with all her decrees and complete obedience to the great mother empire.