• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ban Cel Phones For VT Kids?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bill would ban cellphone use for those under 21
MONTPELIER — A bill has been introduced in the state Senate that would make it illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to use or possess a cellphone.

The bill, S.212, would make such possession or use a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum of a year behind bars and a $1,000 fine.

It said cellphone use while driving is one of the leading killers of teenagers. It also said young people use cellphones frequently to bully and threaten each other, something that has been linked to suicides.

“The Internet and social media, accessed primarily through cell phones, are used to radicalize and recruit terrorists, fascists, and other extremists. Cell phones have often been used by mass shooters of younger ages for research on previous shootings,” the bill reads.

The bill said the Legislature has concluded those under 21 years old “aren’t mature enough” to possess guns, smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol and the same should apply to cellphone use. The state recently increased the smoking age to 21 and barred those under 21 from buying a gun unless they take a hunter safety course.

Audie

Veteran Member
MONTPELIER — A bill has been introduced in the state Senate that would make it illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to use or possess a cellphone.

The bill, S.212, would make such possession or use a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum of a year behind bars and a $1,000 fine.

It said cellphone use while driving is one of the leading killers of teenagers. It also said young people use cellphones frequently to bully and threaten each other, something that has been linked to suicides.

“The Internet and social media, accessed primarily through cell phones, are used to radicalize and recruit terrorists, fascists, and other extremists. Cell phones have often been used by mass shooters of younger ages for research on previous shootings,” the bill reads.

The bill said the Legislature has concluded those under 21 years old “aren’t mature enough” to possess guns, smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol and the same should apply to cellphone use. The state recently increased the smoking age to 21 and barred those under 21 from buying a gun unless they take a hunter safety course.

Not a completely bad way to introduce a serious topic

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I think they should keep kids in maturation chambers until they're 21.

whirlingmerc

I think they should keep kids in maturation chambers until they're 21.

It seems a good way to introduce the topic... but... also seems a bit extreme.

A cell phone could detect you are moving faster than 10 mph and disable calls if the owner is a minor... etc...

whirlingmerc

Serious?
Dumbest idea of the year so far.

OK here's one

A cellphone could log your speed while you get calls and if your in an accident that log is available for fines... there can be a warning flashed as well about safety...

That could be some sort of standard

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

AS I have witnessed a plethora of adults walking into traffic while fixated on the latest text or cat video, or dealt with them as I have been driving down the road. I have come to the conclusion that those who are not constantly on their cellphones are the ones currently responsible for the survival of the species

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
AS I have witnessed a plethora of adults walking into traffic while fixated on the latest text or cat video, or dealt with them as I have been driving down the road. I have come to the conclusion that those who are not constantly on their cellphones are the ones currently responsible for the survival of the species
It will indeed affect evolution.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
It will indeed affect evolution.

Yes, but how. Those not infatuated with there technology see those crossing into traffic or weaving between lanes and thereby correct or stop their trajectory which saves the lives of the techno-loving distracted drivers/walkers. So does evolution split into some sort of weird version of Morlocks and Eloi where one group is hunched over staring at their devices oblivious to their surroundings, while the other has great posture and watches out for them so they don't hurt themselves

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, but how. Those not infatuated with there technology see those crossing into traffic or weaving between lanes and thereby correct or stop their trajectory which saves the lives of the techno-loving distracted drivers/walkers. So does evolution split into some sort of weird version of Morlocks and Eloi where one group is hunched over staring at their devices oblivious to their surroundings, while the other has great posture and watches out for them so they don't hurt themselves
It's inevitable.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We have open bottle laws, where if the bottle of booze is open, it must be out of reach of the driver and stowed in the back of the car. Just apply that to cell phones and be done with it. If you are under 21, the phone must be in the trunk of the car. ;)

shmogie

Utter nonsense. Ban a telephone. If cell phones had been available when my daughters were young, I would see that they had phones. It would be an advantage to me, a father, in protecting and keeping track of my kids.

Of course, I would apply restrictions and punishments as required.

Once again, a government wants to step into, and control the lives of people. It is none of their business as to whether kids have phones.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If we as a country were going to properly regulate use of technology, that needed to happen at a much higher level with much more sweeping and broadly spanning policies. In the absence of that, this is a nonsensical solution to an overarching problem that we lack the political willpower to address in meaningful ways. Especially since they can't even manage to distinguish between computer phones and regular phones that can't access the internet or social media.