• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baldy and the Bears. Bears in Israel?

Audie

Veteran Member
I already said I got it wrong and that I don't know much about bears..

No, you did not. All you said was
"Well, I know very little about bears."

But never mind, its not worth more talk.
You do tend to make things up, and
are slow to take them back. If that
changes, it wont be from my pointing
it out.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, I know very little about bears.. I thought that Asian black bears mostly ate berries, bugs and vegetation as well as carrion.

Do you think the story is plausible? I mean that 2 bears suddenly showed and mauled or ate 42 young people?
Two adult bears?. Unlikely. A mother bear protecting her baby and mauling a few kids, that could happen. Myths grow with the telling.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Basic Facts About Black Bears | Defenders of Wildlife
defenders.org/black-bear/basic-facts
Black bears are extremely adaptable and show a great variation in habitat types, though they are primarily found in forested areas with thick ground vegetation and an abundance of fruits, nuts, and vegetation. In the northern areas, they can be found in the tundra, and they will sometimes forage in fields or meadows.
Black bears are North American. They are not a good example to use.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

sooda

Veteran Member
Why the link about black bears? Brown bears are the ones that people are warned about when hiking in the wilderness.

And @Audie has a point. Just admit that you made a mistake and moved on. Brown bears very likely lived in the area at that time. But the myth was probably started by a bear attack by a mother protecting her cub from two or three kids.

We are talking about black Asian bears in Syria.

i doubt it happened at all.

sooda

Veteran Member
The Asian black bear is not known to have
ever occurred in Syria.

Yep.

Syrian Brown Bear - BEARS OF THE WORLD
bearsoftheworld.net/syrian_brown_bear.asp
The Syrian brown bear was classified as subspecies Ursus arctos syriacus. in 1828 by naturalist Wilhelm Hemprich and zoologist Christian Ehrenberg. HABITAT The Syrian brown bear sleeps and hibernates in caves and hollow trees found in mountainous areas. Historically, the Syrian brown bearcould be found in Turkey, Egypt, Israel, Syria, Lebanon ...

Audie

Veteran Member
Yep.

Syrian Brown Bear - BEARS OF THE WORLD
bearsoftheworld.net/syrian_brown_bear.asp
The Syrian brown bear was classified as subspecies Ursus arctos syriacus. in 1828 by naturalist Wilhelm Hemprich and zoologist Christian Ehrenberg. HABITAT The Syrian brown bear sleeps and hibernates in caves and hollow trees found in mountainous areas. Historically, the Syrian brown bearcould be found in Turkey, Egypt, Israel, Syria, Lebanon ...

Are you agreeing or disagreeing?
The Syrian BROWN bear Ursus arctos syriacus.
is not the same as the "black Asian bear" for lo,
such is a non existent creature. And brown is not
black.

Perhaps you mean the Asian black bear?
Ursus thibetanus? Those are not known
to have ever lived in Syria.

sooda

Veteran Member
Are you agreeing or disagreeing?
The Syrian BROWN bear Ursus arctos syriacus.
is not the same as the "black Asian bear" for lo,
such is a non existent creature. And brown is not
black.

Perhaps you mean the Asian black bear?
Ursus thibetanus? Those are not known
to have ever lived in Syria.

Right.. brown not black.

sooda

Veteran Member
so the link about american black bears was because
we were talking about syrian brown bears.
Two adult bears?. Unlikely. A mother bear protecting her baby and mauling a few kids, that could happen. Myths grow with the telling.

I had to go back and read the scripture. It says two female bears.

I think the story is silly .. That was the whole point, but there are lots of silly stories like Balaam's donkey and finding the shekel in the fish's mouth.

Audie

Veteran Member
I had to go back and read the scripture. It says two female bears.

I think the story is silly .. That was the whole point, but there are lots of silly stories like Balaam's donkey and finding the shekel in the fish's mouth.

WE already knew the story was silly, like pretty
much every other story in the talking snake book.