• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baked or roasted Onions?

Flame

Beware
Since the heart is a muscle, involuntary rather than voluntary, I would think it would be rather tasty. Is it on the tough side? Low and slow cooking?

They tend to be a bit on the tougher side (although I've found marinating them in apple cider vinegar will soften them) and I grill them for about 1 min 30 secs each side.

I've yet to try a low and slow cook with hearts but I've heard great things about smoking them. I might try it once I buy my cow in October.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Is liver "offal"? I just cooked a duck and saved the liver and some duck fat to make a pate'. Now that will not be medium rare. I need to go to a liquor store and get a mini-bottle of cognac. Sorry I don't drink the stuff myself. Oh and a shallot and a baguette from the grocery store.

EDIT: Herbes de provence too. I do not do French cooking very often so French herbs are lacking from my collection.

I buy herbs de provence by the kilo, used in just about everything.

I dont eat duck. This area is world famous for its duck so it can get embarrassing but thats life. Very few farmers treat them humanly. Many are force fed to swell the liver, makes better foie gras apparently.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I buy herbs de provence by the kilo, used in just about everything.

I dont eat duck. This area is world famous for its duck so it can get embarrassing but thats life. Very few farmers treat them humanly. Many are force fed to swell the liver, makes better foie gras apparently.

That is not done so much in the U.S.. Ducks here are usually grown as any other poultry is. I can see why you would be reticent. In fact it is even illegal in some states to force feed ducks for foie gras. The liver from the duck that I cooked is no enlarged at all. One liver, with duck fat, shallot. herbs de provence, will make one serving. It is a small side benefit to cooking a duck and not the point of getting the duck in the first place.

GoodbyeDave

The onion idea sounds great. Onions to me generally mean fried or in a stew. My cookery book only suggests baking in stock after parboiling. Now if I had picked the Egyptian gods instead of the Greek ones, this would be ideal for the festival Eating Onions for Bast!

I've never tried heart. It's usually stewed, especially the ox heart which needs a lot of cooking.