• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bahiya Sutta

atanu

Premium Member
You did not comment on the moon-puddle metaphor. Okay.

Regarding absence of sun moon etc., please permit me the following from an upanishad:

The sun does not shine there, nor the moon and the stars, nor these lightnings, not to speak of this fire. When It shines, everything shines after It; by Its light everything is lighted.

(Some translations use 'he' instead of 'it')

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
You did not comment on the moon-puddle metaphor. Okay.
Regarding absence of sun moon etc., please permit me the following from an upanishad:
10The sun does not shine there, nor the moon and the stars, nor these lightnings, not to speak of this fire. When It shines, everything shines after It; by Its light everything is lighted.

Sorry, but I'm not following you - how does this connect to the Bahiya Sutta?

The verse from the end of the Bahiya Sutta that you quoted is interesting, there's a discussion of it from page 59 of Nanananda's "Concept and Reality":
http://www.seeingthroughthenet.net/files/eng/books/other/concept_and_reality.pdf
To me the passage looks reminiscent of the Heart Sutra, though that's probably another discussion. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

atanu

Premium Member
Sorry, but I'm not following you - how does this connect to the Bahiya Sutta?

Which is not connecting to Bahiya? The moon-puddle metaphor?

The verse from the end of the Bahiya Sutta that you quoted is interesting, ........

The verses cited from the end of Bahiya and from Mundka Upanishad convey the same teaching. And similar to the Heart Sutra too.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
The verses cited from the end of Bahiya and from Mundka Upanishad convey the same teaching. And similar to the Heart Sutra too.

And what do you think that meaning is?

I've been trying to work out how the second passage relates to the first one, but I'm struggling!

Last edited by a moderator:

atanu

Premium Member
And what do you think that meaning is?

The point where subject and object no longer exist.

I've been trying to work out how the second passage relates to the first one, but I'm struggling!

Probably different people get different meaning. But to me, the first leads to the second. Perceived things, including perceived 'you' are not you, just as moon is not same as its reflections in puddles. Yet there is a real you just as there is a real moon very distinct from the reflections. The real you is primeval --

YMMV.:)

Last edited: