• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bahai's and the Bible. Errant or Inerrant. Holistic or cherry picking?

WonderingWorrier

I just thought of some New Testament verses that Baha'u'llah wrote about. Please bear in mind that Baha'u'llah was paraphrasing these Bible verses, not quoting them directly.

“It is also recorded in the Gospel according to St. Luke, that on a certain day Jesus passed by a Jew who was sick of the palsy, and lay upon a couch. When the Jew saw Him, he recognized Him, and cried out for His help. Jesus said unto him: “Arise from thy bed; thy sins are forgiven thee.” Certain of the Jews, standing by, protested saying: “Who can forgive sins, but God alone?” And immediately He perceived their thoughts, Jesus answering said unto them: “Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, arise, and take up thy bed, and walk; or to say, thy sins are forgiven thee? that ye may know that the Son of Man hath power on earth to forgive sins.” 7 This is the real sovereignty, and such is the power of God’s chosen Ones! All these things which We have repeatedly mentioned, and the details which We have cited from divers sources, have no other purpose but to enable thee to grasp the meaning of the allusions in the utterances of the chosen Ones of God, lest certain of these utterances cause thy feet to falter and thy heart to be dismayed.” The Kitáb-i-Íqán, pp. 133-134

Yeah. I think Jesus could heal people with the word of God.

He fed the hungry:
Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord. Amos 8:11

He healed the legs of the crippled. He made the crooked straight:

The legs of the lame are not equal: so is a parable in the mouth of fools. Proverbs 26:7

He gave sight to the blind:

And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking. Mark 8:24

For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. Isaiah 55:12

I do think what Jesus said is true:

For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.
Matthew 13:15-17

He healed people ears that could not hear (the word of God).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yeah. I think Jesus could heal people with the word of God.

He fed the hungry:
Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord. Amos 8:11

He healed the legs of the crippled. He made the crooked straight:

The legs of the lame are not equal: so is a parable in the mouth of fools. Proverbs 26:7

He gave sight to the blind:

And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking. Mark 8:24

For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. Isaiah 55:12

I do think what Jesus said is true:

For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.
Matthew 13:15-17

He healed people ears that could not hear (the word of God).
I agree with everything you said and quoted. Even though we cannot know exactly what Jesus said, we have the gospels, so we know the gist of it

I am just curious, if you believe in Jesus why aren't you a Christian?

WonderingWorrier

I agree with everything you said and quoted. Even though we cannot know exactly what Jesus said, we have the gospels, so we know the gist of it

I am just curious, if you believe in Jesus why aren't you a Christian?

Yes I believe Jesus. I am also Christian.

I believe Jesus gathered fish and he raised the dead.

Jesus said money will be found in the mouth of fish.

A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things. Ecclesiastes 10:19

Someone change the word fish into whale in the story of Jonah.
But being in the middle of Whale does not make sense.

The Lord God hath sworn by his holiness, that, lo, the days shall come upon you, that he will take you away with hooks, and your posterity with fishhooks. Amos 4:2

He would certainly have remained inside the Fish till the Day of Resurrection. 37:144