• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bahai's and the Bible. Errant or Inerrant. Holistic or cherry picking?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I don't know enough about the original meaning of the words to give you a good answer.
Vouthron in posts 9 and 10 of Evangelicelhumanist's thread, Why i am an Atheist seems to know more on the subject than I do. Maybe you can ask him.
Why I am an atheist

No no brother. I am sorry, Malakoi means "soft men". I thought since I said soft men, you would have remembered it. Arsenokoitus is what you are referring to as Homosexuals. If you think they deserve to be bagged along with the thieves and other sinners, still, what did the soft men do wrong? Do you understand? They are not homosexuals, they are just effeminate men which is cited separately which means there is a distinction in between them.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Brian2 said: You did not answer what I said and what the Bible tells us. If you cannot answer why the Bible contradicts the Baha'i faith in those verses (John 14:15, John 14:26 and John 15:26) and show the Spirit of Truth to be the Holy Spirit that was given to each disciple at Pentecost and to all those who became Christian or become Christian, that is OK. I understand that you believe Baha'u'llah and are willing to deny what the Bible tells us for his sake and the sake of your faith.

Yes I know you have a different understanding because of your beliefs, but what I don't see is why Baha'is point to John 14,15,16 as if it agrees with your belief that Baha'u'llah is the Spirit of Truth when it plainly contradicts it.

I see no contradiction at all. To me it clearly speaks of Baha’u’llah. It’s the same with Christ. To you it’s clear but to the Jews they disagree.

Whenever a new Prophet arises, the former religion always claims He is false just as they did with Christ and now Baha’u’llah. Had the Jews been open minded, they would have welcomed Jesus with open arms, but they were not. They interpreted the scriptures in a manner which enabled them to deny Christ.

So be it, God gave man free will to choose his own path.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I see no contradiction at all. To me it clearly speaks of Baha’u’llah. It’s the same with Christ. To you it’s clear but to the Jews they disagree.

Whenever a new Prophet arises, the former religion always claims He is false just as they did with Christ and now Baha’u’llah. Had the Jews been open minded, they would have welcomed Jesus with open arms, but they were not. They interpreted the scriptures in a manner which enabled them to deny Christ.

So be it, God gave man free will to choose his own path.

I find it strange that the standard response of any Bahai for most of the issues of contradiction is just a statement of "I see no contradiction at all".

Then the other normal response is "they did that too", which is the Tu Quoque that I see day in, day out from all the Bahai's.

Why is this a prevalent response?

InvestigateTruth

Brian2 said: You did not answer what I said and what the Bible tells us. If you cannot answer why the Bible contradicts the Baha'i faith in those verses (John 14:15, John 14:26 and John 15:26) and show the Spirit of Truth to be the Holy Spirit that was given to each disciple at Pentecost and to all those who became Christian or become Christian, that is OK. I understand that you believe Baha'u'llah and are willing to deny what the Bible tells us for his sake and the sake of your faith.

Yes I know you have a different understanding because of your beliefs, but what I don't see is why Baha'is point to John 14,15,16 as if it agrees with your belief that Baha'u'llah is the Spirit of Truth when it plainly contradicts it.
Remember Jesus said there are many things you cannot bear them. spirit of truth will say them, and teach all truth.

If the Spirit of Truth had appeared at the time Christians interpreted, then it must have taught them all truth. So, how do you know they were taught all the truth? What difference practically was made, or what additional truth they were taught, that Jesus had not? What was it, that they could not bear it, had Jesus told them, and made Jesus keep it until Spirit of Truth comes?
How could they bear it later, but not when they were with Jesus?

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I find it strange that the standard response of any Bahai for most of the issues of contradiction is just a statement of "I see no contradiction at all".

Then the other normal response is "they did that too", which is the Tu Quoque that I see day in, day out from all the Bahai's.

We won’t be drawn into criticising the Word of God. We follow the authoritative Bahá’í interpretations and are united in whatever Baha’u’llah says. That is our position and we won’t deviate from it because we believe it to be the truth.

firedragon

Veteran Member
We won’t be drawn into criticising the Word of God. We follow the authoritative Bahá’í interpretations and are united in whatever Baha’u’llah says. That is our position and we won’t deviate from it because we believe it to be the truth.

I understand that Blind Faith is your way to go. But that is not relevant to others. Everyone will not throw reason and study down the drain just because you say that.

Peace.

InvestigateTruth

I understand that Blind Faith is your way to go. But that is not relevant to others. Everyone will not throw reason and study down the drain just because you say that.

Peace.
Bahais believe in Bahaullah, because He has shown signs of Divinity, and has fulfilled all prophecies in the scriptures of all religions. Whoever has become Bahai, is supposed to first investigate the claim of Bahaullah. But once he saw the evidences and proofs, and was convinced, then after that is supposed to just follow Bahaullah, Not, keep questioning Bahai scriptures.
This investigation must be done before becoming a Bahai. In Bahai faith no one is born a Bahai. But must first investigate the truth. Blind faith is not accepted.

For example, I as a Bahai, have done my investigation. I have asked my questions, and have asked for evidences already, and was convinced. Why should I question the authority of Baha'u'llah?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Bahais believe in Bahaullah, because He has shown signs of Divinity, and has fulfilled all prophecies in the scriptures of all religions. Whoever has become Bahai, is supposed to first investigate the claim of Bahaullah. But once he saw the evidences and proofs, and was convinced, then after that is supposed to just follow Bahaullah, Not, keep questioning Bahai scriptures.
This investigation must be done before becoming a Bahai. In Bahai faith no one is born a Bahai. But must first investigate the truth. Blind faith is not accepted.

For example, I as a Bahai, have done my investigation. I have asked my questions, and have asked for evidences already, and was convinced. Why should I question the authority of Baha'u'llah?

Thats not relevant to me brother. You dont have to keep repeating your faith. Its preaching.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Please quote the scholars, and their arguments and why you agree with their arguments.

Thanks.

I watched a few YouTube presentations, a couple for a couple against the legitimacy of the document.

Sorry I did not note the names of those delivering the talks of the ones I chose to watch (there are a lot), but it is hard to find unbiased appraisals, that is for sure.

One of them went to great lengths to prove the truth of claim a person made, that had said it was a fake, as this person had compiled it for a gift for an uncle. My wife and I watched this, but we got lost of what he was trying to prove after about 35 minutes.

I must admit, the story of how it was obtained, is a real long shot.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Brian2, that is most likely because you are not aware of what Baha'u'llah has offered on this topic.

I read those verses and can see the Glory of God is in them.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since Jesus is the Truth, maybe that is what He was telling His disciples. That we cannot come to the Father but through Jesus means to me that we do need to go through Jesus to get to the Father. Either we accept the Truth now or we need to be judged by Jesus at the final judgement to get to the Father.

Correct, with an alternate thought. We first have to know who was Jesus as Christ the Son, before we can understand how Jesus as Christ, also becomes the Father.

Not until we see Christ as the Father, can we truly know who Jesus Christ the Son was.

John 14:7 "If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him."

It is definitely indicating that when you know the Spirit of Christ, you also know the Father.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Pentecost was not the end when Jesus returns in glory to raise the dead and judge us, it was when the promise of the Holy Spirit was fulfilled initially and specifically to the people God promised the Holy Spirit to, His disciples of 2000 years ago. And of course since the Holy Spirit is shown to be the Advocate and the Spirit of Truth in John 14,15 and 16, that means that the Advocate and the Spirit of Truth came at Pentecost also. This is also when Jesus came to be with His disciples and make His abode with them
John 14:15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
John 14:23 Jesus replied, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
Pentecost was not the end but was the start of the last days according to Peter at Pentecost when he quoted the prophet Joel.
Acts 2:15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning! 16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17 “‘In the last days, God says,
The Jews had not left the land at that time so they could not return then. They will return to Israel and the Messiah will reign when He returns.
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.

Personally I see the Pentecostal belief is not sound doctrine, I see it is one of the clouds that Christ returns on.

Sorry, but what I am seeing, Pentecost becomes an excuse to wait, to wait for an event that will not happen as expected and thus will be missed like a thief in the night.

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Maybe because there is no contradiction of the biblical texts.

Brian2 said: Yes I know you have a different understanding because of your beliefs, but what I don't see is why Baha'is point to John 14,15,16 as if it agrees with your belief that Baha'u'llah is the Spirit of Truth when it plainly contradicts it.

Can you explain how anything in John 14,15,16 contradicts that Baha'u'llah was the Spirit of Truth?
Can you explain who "he" and "him" is referring to?
If it is the Holy Spirit, as Christians believe, how can it do all the things it says "he" will do in the following verses?
How does the Holy Spirit speak if not through a man?
Christians cannot answer these questions with any logical answer.

John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 16:12-13 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

John 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Referring to Jesus, Baha'u'llah wrote:

“We testify that when He came into the world, He shed the splendor of His glory upon all created things. Through Him the leper recovered from the leprosy of perversity and ignorance. Through Him, the unchaste and wayward were healed. Through His power, born of Almighty God, the eyes of the blind were opened, and the soul of the sinner sanctified.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 86

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sorry, but what I am seeing, Pentecost becomes an excuse to wait, to wait for an event that will not happen as expected and thus will be missed like a thief in the night.
Especially when the chapter that contains the Pentecostal event is not read in its entirety:
Clearly, according to the Bible, there are two times that the Holy Spirit was to be sent:

1. At Pentecost
2. In the last days

Acts 2 King James Version (KJV)

1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
[All flesh means all of humanity, not just Christians]

18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:

20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and notable day of the Lord come:

21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
So all of this is assumption. Every single point.

We all make assumptions. You make assumptions in regards the likelihood that an elderly man could have written the Gospel of John or the literacy of the Apostle John.

1. yes of course the author has to acknowledge it.

He prefaces the paper with the ‘fact’ there is no explicit mention of the authors name. He then presents an argument based on further ‘facts’ and concludes that in his opinion, the Apostle John is the most likely of the five candidates being considered to the author. He does not state his conclusion as fact, but as the ‘best solution’. The various uses of the phrase beloved disciple and the names of some early Christians who believed the Apostle John was the author are facts.

So he does what reasonable people do. He deals with facts to which his conclusion is based. For that he has my respect and its why I felt comfortable linking his blog.

2. Of course your argument is an apologetic, but ahistorical. You dont assume things based on other assumptions that are based on other assumptions. It is common to write in the third person narrative when it comes to historical records, not when you are writing your own experience and your own self. If the superscript was not there in your Bible you would not be making this argument, thus you are assuming its the original, but its not. So your assumption that a man lived to be 95 years old, and he wrote a book out of memory after 70 years, you are assuming the disciple was maximum 25 years which is a "Could Be" situation, and you are ignoring the synoptic problem and johannine inferiority in stating its the same person. Everything is a could be, and an assumption.

The author is a Christian apologist, I am a Baha’i apologist and you are a Muslim apologist as far as I can see. That doesn’t mean we are ahistorical or even biased. It means we look at the evidence and examine whether or not it supports our traditional point of view. It also means we can have biases. That’s fine as long as we are conscious of our biases.

The traditional Christian perspective until the twentieth century has been John the Apostle wrote the Gospel of John. That is fact. Within Western culture there has been a growing movement to critically evaluate Biblical texts using similar methodology to examine any other historical texts. That has opened new doors of understanding and led to the questioning of long held beliefs and assumptions. We all know this and it is nothing new.

I suspect the anonymity of the Gospel authors has little to do whether or not history is being recorded but out of respect for the Holy Personage of Jesus the Christ. It is a sign of profound humility. The authors would also consider themselves as writing an historical account and I understand it was common place in Roman culture to write mythologised biographies.

In regards the authors age, we are of course making assumptions about the dating of Christ’s ministry and when the Gospel of John was written. You are assuming I have adopted the traditional Christian perspective despite my repeated statements to the contrary.

According to Wikipedia

John reached its final form around AD 90–110,[4] although it contains signs of origins dating back to AD 70 and possibly even earlier.[5]

1. Lincoln 2005, p. 18.
  2. ^ Hendricks 2007, p. 147.
Gospel of John - Wikipedia

I'm certainly open to the possibility that the Apostle John did not write and compile the Gospel of John alone and it may well have been a collaborative effort thus giving support to the Johannine community theory.

Some of the outstanding early Babi's were youth. The Bab Himself was just 25 years old when He declared His Divine mission to be the Promised Mahdi. Anis who was martyred alongside was a youth.

How Two Youth Led a Spiritual Revolution in the 19th Century

Badíʻ is famous for being the bearer of a tablet written by Baháʼu'lláh to Nasiri'd-Din Shah, for which he was tortured and killed at the age of 17. He is also one of the foremost Apostles of Baháʼu'lláh.

Badíʻ - Wikipedia

On the other end of the spectrum one of the most famous Baha'i teachers in the Baha'u'llah's time was Ahmad who lived to the age of 100 years and was noted to be in the utmost health and vigor at the age of 96 years when He was still travelling and teaching in Persia despite intense opposition.

So I would avoid making assumptions based on age about a person's spiritual capacity or to write a book. The Apostle John may well have been a youth during the time of Christ's Ministry and lived to an old age where he was in excellent health despite his advanced years. He may also have written the bulk of the Gospel as early as 70 AD and the text was redacted by the Johannine community before entering into wider circulation.

One criticism I would put forward about Gary Burge's blog is that it fails to consider the Johannine community as being the author. This is of course is the prevailing belief about the origins of the Gospel of John among the majority of scholars.

Please do elaborate on how you believe the synoptic problem and Johannine inferiority are relevant to this discussion.

3. This is another assumption. And everything seems to be an allusion. It does not allude to the author. It just says "this guy was there, and he wrote things down". This is a centuries past, post assumption of superscript, assumption of authorship, with an assumption of a name.

The book doesnt call itself John. The author doesnt call himself John. None of the authors name themselves John. Two endings can be found in John in chapters 10 and 12 only for the first part of the Gospel. Then there are two endings for the gospel in chapters 20 and 21. A redactor has added text which shows that the original author was not present at the time it was done. One of the things that is probably fatal to the theor)' that john son of Zebdee is the Beloved Disciple and also the author of this entire document is that none. and I do mean none. of the special Zebedee stories from the Synoptics are included in the Fourth Gospel. It is equally strange that the Zebedee brothers are so briefly mentioned in this Gospel (only in John 21:2} and that john is never explicitly equated with the Beloved Disciple. These are a few of the arguments, but your article does not address these but speaks of some lame arguments which are strawman as I said.

When you say 'lame' arguments it simply makes you look biased and prejudiced, just as you harshly criticised Dibdin and my fellow Baha'is on this forum. The arguments the blog does not address such as the author's age and the likelihood that the Apostle John was illiterate are weak arguments and easily refuted IMHO.

There references in regard to the beloved disciple are:

John 13:23: “One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him.

John 19:26: “When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, ‘Woman, here is your son.’

John 20:2: “So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, ‘They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!’

John 21:7: “Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, ‘It is the Lord!’

John 20:20: “Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them.”

John 21:24 “disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down.”

This is fact. I would presume the narrative that the beloved disciple was John the Apostle has been with Christianity for centuries as this has been the traditional Christian understanding from the early centuries of Christianity. It is clearly consistent with the written text.

The references to early Christian works amply support the early Christian belief:

Irenaeus, writing at about AD 200, says that the Beloved Disciple was John, the disciple of Jesus, and that John originated the Gospel at Ephesus. He writes that when he himself was young, he knew another teacher, Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna (c. AD 69–155), who claimed to have been tutored by John.

The church historian Eusebius (c. AD 300) records this John/Polycarp/Irenaeus connection in the same way

Polycrates, Bishop of Ephesus (AD 189–198), refers to John’s association with the Gospel in his letter to Victor the Bishop of Rome

It is also confirmed by Clement of Alexandria (c. AD 200) and the Latin Muratorian Canon (AD 180–200).

The Apostle John forming part of the Johannine collaboration would address any concerns about a redacted text.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Since Jesus is the Truth, maybe that is what He was telling His disciples. That we cannot come to the Father but through Jesus means to me that we do need to go through Jesus to get to the Father. Either we accept the Truth now or we need to be judged by Jesus at the final judgement to get to the Father.

Words spoken two thousand years ago by Christ as recorded in the Gospel of John 14:6 to His disciples comforting them after He had predicted His martyrdom. His disciples were all Jewish and had so was most likely an allusion to Jesus being the Promised Messiah based on the Septuagint. As well as affirming He was the Promised Messiah, the phrase "I am" features seven times in the Gospel of John.

What are the seven I AM statements in the Gospel of John? | GotQuestions.org

So there are further allusions to the Divinity of Christ. In other words the voice of God that spoke using the phrase "I am" through Moses in exodus 3:14 is the same voice of God speaking through Christ. Further, it emphases the station of Jesus being the equivalent to Moses.

Its a long bow to draw when Christians use John 14:6 to advocate for the exclusivity of Christ's for all peoples for all times.

WonderingWorrier

I have been trying to listen to Bahai logic and reasoning with an open mind.
I showed earlier how easy dot connecting stars falling can be. Did you read it?

Whoever has become Bahai, is supposed to first investigate the claim of Bahaullah. But once he saw the evidences and proofs, and was convinced, then after that is supposed to just follow Bahaullah, Not, keep questioning Bahai scriptures.

So if the Bahai interpretation of the stars falling is accepted as prophecy fulfilled then other Bahai scriptures should be accepted without questioning them?