• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'i Houses of Worship

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Hi forum,

I read on RF as well on other pages that most Baha’i congregations are too small to maintain an own religious meeting place and therefore meet in their homes. At the same time, we are informed about the building of big Houses of Worship supposedly meant as prestige objects. Therein I see an apparent contradiction.

Please discuss.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
The Baha’i Houses of Worship are a gift to humanity, a symbol of the oneness of mankind where people of all faiths can come together as one. On the doors and windows and pillars are engraved the religious symbols of all the major Faiths and in our services we read from all the Holy Books of these religions.

There are no sermons or lectures only the reading of the Sacred Texts of the Faiths.

As resources and Bahá’í population increases they will be built locally. Eventually nearby will be humanitarian services such as hospitals, orphanages, homes for the aged, schools and universities. It will be a place where devotion and service to humanity go hand in hand as service to humanity is considered as prayer in the Baha’i Faith.

It is a place for sharing our common humanity as well as to become a place of service to mankind.

Build ye houses of worship throughout the lands in the name of Him Who is the Lord of all religions…Then, with radiance and joy, celebrate therein the praise of your Lord, the Most Compassionate.

— Bahá’u’lláh

InvestigateTruth

Hi forum,

I read on RF as well on other pages that most Baha’i congregations are too small to maintain an own religious meeting place and therefore meet in their homes. At the same time, we are informed about the building of big Houses of Worship supposedly meant as prestige objects. Therein I see an apparent contradiction.

Please discuss.
Bahai Houses of worship have a different purpose. The Bahais have certain gatherings, such as 19-days feast, devotional gatherings, and children Classes. These gatherings are held in localities. For example a city, may have 12 areas, and each area has their own gatherings. These gathering are held either in a hall, or libraries, or homes of Bahais, or a Bahai center, depending on the population of Bahais in that area.
Houses of worship have a totally different purpose. They are not used for having those Bahai gatherings.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Houses of worship have a totally different purpose. They are not used for having those Bahai gatherings.

Come on, please don't stop here. ;) Kindly tell me what the Houses are for. I would have expected Houses of Worship to be used for worship, but that's just me.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Come on, please don't stop here. ;) Kindly tell me what the Houses are for. I would have expected Houses of Worship to be used for worship, but that's just me.

This may help

The Mashriqu’l-Adhkár | What Bahá’ís Do

"..... Its purpose is not solely to provide a place for prayer. ‘Abdu’l-Bahá explained that, through the provision of education, healthcare and other services it is also to support the social and economic progress of the community and afford shelter, relief and assistance to those in need. In this connection, ‘Abdu’l-Bahá anticipated that subsidiary branches—such as a hospital, school, university, dispensary, and hospice—would gradually be added to a House of Worship.... "

Regards Tony