• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'i and Science

danieldemol

Premium Member
Yes I understand perfectly what homosexuality is but as it is forbidden in our religion then so is it’s spread and promotion forbidden within our communities. Our writings say it is not normal or natural and we should try and overcome it even with medical assistance.

The Baha’i Faith only recognises marriage between a man and a woman.
Homosexuality is not something that can be spread, you make it sound like it’s contagious.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes I understand perfectly what homosexuality is but as it is forbidden in our religion then so is it’s spread and promotion forbidden within our communities. Our writings say it is not normal or natural and we should try and overcome it even with medical assistance.

Trying to overcome it with medical assistance is illegal in a lot of places, considered a form of torture. So if a Baha'i was faced with the dilemma of following the laws of the country (as instructed by your leaders) or to use medical intervention on gays, which would take precedence?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Trying to overcome it with medical assistance is illegal in a lot of places, considered a form of torture. So if a Baha'i was faced with the dilemma of following the laws of the country (as instructed by your leaders) or to use medical intervention on gays, which would take precedence?

This is actually a great question, to me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Well, that's bunk. Baha'i doesn't follow science on the matter then. No reputable medical practitioner will help you "overcome" homosexuality because it's not a problem to be overcome and you can't change your sexuality in the first place. That's just psychological torture and should be illegal.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Well, that's bunk. Baha'i doesn't follow science on the matter then. No reputable medical practitioner will help you "overcome" homosexuality because it's not a problem to be overcome and you can't change your sexuality in the first place. That's just psychological torture and should be illegal.

Agreed.

As for me, I wonder why the modern Baha'i faith thinks it can be a universal religion while still having such ideas.

What I agree with, is the books about Bahaullah.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Homosexuality is not something that can be spread, you make it sound like it’s contagious.

This is what I’m meaning.

A number of sexual problems such as homosexuality and transsexuality can well have medical aspects, and in such cases recourse should certainly be had to the best medical assistance. But it is clear from the teaching of Bahá'u'lláh that homosexuality is not a condition to which a person should be reconciled, but is a distortion of his or her nature which should be controlled and overcome. This may require a hard struggle, but so also can be the struggle of a heterosexual person to control his or her desires. The exercise of self-control in this, as in so very many other aspects of life, has a beneficial effect on the progress of the soul. It should, moreover, be borne in mind that although to be married is highly desirable, and Bahá'u'lláh has strongly recommended it, it is not the central purpose of life. If a person has to wait a considerable period before finding a spouse, or if ultimately, he or she must remain single, it does not mean that he or she is thereby unable to fulfil his or her life's purpose."

(From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to an individual believer, January 12, 1973: cited in Messages from The Universal House of Justice, 1968-1973, p. 110-111)

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Please link to the writings expressing this.

It is forbidden you to wed your fathers' wives. We shrink, for very shame, from treating of the subject of boys. Fear ye the Merciful, O peoples of the world! Commit not that which is forbidden you in Our Holy Tablet, and be not of those who rove distractedly in the wilderness of their desires. (Aqdas, paragraph 107)

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

Everyone’s free to their point of view. I fully agree with what the Manifestation of God says on the subject.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It is forbidden you to wed your fathers' wives. We shrink, for very shame, from treating of the subject of boys. Fear ye the Merciful, O peoples of the world! Commit not that which is forbidden you in Our Holy Tablet, and be not of those who rove distractedly in the wilderness of their desires. (Aqdas, paragraph 107)

How do we know it was talking about homosexuality?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

Becoming a Baha’i is voluntary so if one prefers that sexual orientation then there’s no point in joining a religion which forbids it.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
How do we know it was talking about homosexuality?

Because of the Covenant of Baha’u’llah. The Will of Baha’u’llah authorised Abdu’l-Baha to be His Interpreter and Abdu’l-Baha in His Will authorized Shoghi Effendi and the Universal House of Justice. And the Guardian stated that is what Baha’u’llah meant.

Here is an excerpt regarding the authority of both the Guardian Shoghi Effendi and the Universal House of Justice..

The sacred and youthful branch, the Guardian of the Cause of God, as well as the Universal House of Justice, to be universally elected and established, are both under the care and protection of the Abhá Beauty, under the shelter and unerring guidance of the Exalted One (may my life be offered up for them both). Whatsoever they decide is of God. Whoso obeyeth him not, neither obeyeth them, hath not obeyed God; whoso rebelleth against him and against them hath rebelled against God; whoso opposeth him hath opposed God; whoso contendeth with them hath contended with God; whoso disputeth with him hath disputed with God; whoso denieth him hath denied God; whoso disbelieveth in him hath disbelieved in God; whoso deviateth, separateth himself and turneth aside from him hath in truth deviated, separated himself and turned aside from God.

(Will and Testament of Abdu’l-Baha)