1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Baha'i and Messengers

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Policy, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,135
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    There are no facts concerning God but does not mean there are no ways of knowing about God.

God is a faith belief because there is no way to prove that God exists.
    Nobody is obliged to believe in God, that is a choice we can make.

2. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +20,247
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    Of course it has to be extended to atheists. They are human too, after all, lol. But if you're not in, you're not in. I'm out too, because I don't believe in any manifestation, or the concept of avatar I'm afraid the out side is composed of far more than just atheists. I thing the 'them' outnumber the 'us' thought so maybe there's hope after all.

3. lukethethird

lukethethird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,404
    Religion:
    Xian
    All that overwhelming evidence is just like your God, invisible and unknowable.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lukethethird

Ratings:
    +1,404
    Religion:
    Xian
    No facts means no knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +10,135
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    No, the evidence is not invisible or unknowable, it is all over the internet to read about. God is knowable, but only to a very limited extent.

6. Lazy Old Devil

Ratings:
    +62
    Religion:
    Armchair Satanist
    If it's on the Internet, it must be true! :wink:

7. lukethethird

Ratings:
    +1,404
    Religion:
    Xian
    So you claim.

8. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +10,135
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Nope, factual knowledge is not the only kind of knowledge.

knowledge;

1. facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

2. awareness or familiarity gained by experience of a fact or situation.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=knowledge+means

9. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +10,135
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    That is a straw man. I never said that EVERYTHING on the internet is true.
    I only said that the evidence is on the internet to read about.

10. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +10,135
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    So I believe.

11. lukethethird

Ratings:
    +1,404
    Religion:
    Xian
    Of course you believe, that much is evident.

12. lukethethird

Ratings:
    +1,404
    Religion:
    Xian
    Thank you for making my point, no facts, no knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,682
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    Not at all as we observe in these discussions daily. Religious faith is typically and consistently the antithesis of reason.

But science and reason are essentially synonymous.

False and misleading. There is no reasoning that concludes any gods exist. Reason relies on facts and evidence and uses an objective process that links evidence to a sound conclusion. There are no facts for a supernatural.

Faith covers a number of human decisions that self-validates beliefs, and does rely or use evidence. Belief is uncertain, and faith is unreliable.

A propaganda claim. This is desperation.

No. Lacking belief in any given claim, whether religious or not, is what reason and logic defaults to as a rule. No one is obligated or required to believe anything a priori.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Renki

Renki philosophical mystic
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,102
    Religion:
    Neopythagoreanism, exploring Mithraism, sympathetic to Judaism and Christianity

It’s funny you ask about Hinduism, CG!

To answer your first question, the Adamic Cycle was not the first cycle of Revelation. There were many before that. The definitive list of Manifestations from this cycle, from my understanding, would include (in no particular order) Adam, Abraham, Moses, Zarathustra, Shakyamuni Buddha, Jesus Christ, and Muhammad.

You’ll notice that I left out Krishna. This segues into my answer to your question as to why Krishna (and not any other avatara) is counted among the Manifestations. To speak to Hinduism in general, we Bahá’ís do not teach that Krishna, the Mahabharata, the Bhagavad Gita, Vaishnavism, or the like is representative of all of Hinduism. We recognize that what’s known as “Hinduism” is actually a vast array of local religious traditions centered around various deities and practices, so we try not to generalize here. Or, really, with any religion. No religion is a monolith.

Krishna in His original context — from what I understand — is actually as being one of a number of avataras that Bahá’ís recognize. He was not the first, nor the only one. There were (to name just two) Rama and Narasimha. The reason as to why Krishna was chosen is, perhaps, because of the wide-reaching influence of His Name (being one of Hinduism’s most popular deities), with the Mahabharata and the Bhagavad Gita as widely familiar texts. This is entirely independent of the Bahá’í Faith.

So, when the Central Figures speak on Krishna or on Hinduism, they speak from a general awareness of it, not from anything really detailed that They knew. Shoghi Effendi encourages Bahá’ís to learn more about Hinduism (and, indeed, all religions) and in their own understandings, account for scholarly developments. Such references in the Writings are not for the purpose of saying that Bahá’ís believe that Krishna is the only avatara in Hinduism, or that Vaishnavism is the only legitimate Hindu sect, or anything of that sort, or that Krishna is somehow the “Founder of Hinduism” (whatever this means). What the inclusion of Krishna specifically is designed to say is that Hinduism in general is recognized by Bahá’ís as having survived and are given supreme legitimacy (not that other religions unmentioned are not legitimate, except for a few). All of these accusations are incorrect.

Coming from all of this, I’ll end off by saying that the criticisms leveled of how various Bahá’ís relate to Hinduism based on only a small handful of references to Hinduism in our Texts is unfair.

#734 Renki, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,682
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    How?

There are no facts concerning Hobbits, but we can know about them due to fiction.

Also in logic and reason the default is that claims by others are not accepted without evidence of truth. Theists fail this because, as you admit, they believe on faith and not on reason via facts.

16. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Non-debating member when I can help myself

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    There's your guess that threre is a spirit,
    that " humbling " yourSELF will have
    some benefit to - yourself. - Audie

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +10,135
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Revelations of God through Messengers.
    I never said that I do not believe on reason via facts. I believe what I believe based upon facts about Baha'u'llah and I apply my reason to those facts.

How important are facts within your religious beliefs?

18. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Non-debating member when I can help myself

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    This is a refreshing point of view I don't hear from other Baha'is much. I agree with this point if view. I'm not saying that other many other Baha'is don't think this.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. loverofhumanity

loverofhumanity Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,785
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    As I stated, one requires intellectual abilities to learn the sciences but spiritual senses to know God. When one acquires the spiritual faculties then and only then one can see God.
    That can be best attained through prayer, meditation and reading the Words of God which in this day are the Writings of Baha’u’llah.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. loverofhumanity

loverofhumanity Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,785
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Neither we nor the universe created itself.