• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha`i Scholarship

Popeyesays

BSR 3.2-5: Bahá'í Scholarship in the 1990s

[SIZE=+3]Doing Bahá’í Scholarship in the 1990s:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]A Religious Studies Perspective[/SIZE] Stephen Lambden

• [SIZE=-1]There are certain pillars which have been established as the unshakeable supports of the Faith of God. The mightiest of these is learning and the use of the mind, the expansion of consciousness, and insight into the realities of the universe and the hidden mysteries of Almighty God. To promote knowledge is thus an inescapable duty imposed on every one of the friends of God. . . ('Abdu'l-Bahá, Selections 126)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]In these days when people are so sceptical about religion and look with so much contempt towards religious organizations and movements, there seems to be more need than ever for our young Bahá'ís to be well-equipped intellectually, so that they may be in a position to present the Message in a befitting way, and in a manner that would convince every unbiased observer of the effectiveness and power of the Teachings. (From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer dated 5 May 1934, cited in Deepening no. 119)
    What he [Shoghi Effendi] wants the Bahá'ís to do is to study more, not to study less. The more general knowledge, scientific or otherwise, they possess, the better. Likewise he is constantly urging them to really study the Bahá'í teachings more deeply. (From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi dated 5 July 1947, cited in Deepening no. 148)[/SIZE]
All Bahá'ís can play, to a greater or lesser extent, directly or indirectly, a part in the carrying out of Bahá'í scholarship. All Bahá'ís can actively support or contribute to the evolution of Bahá'í scholarship. Bahá'ís at university, such as yourselves, have a special responsibility in this respect.(1)
It is the purpose of these few notes to initiate discussion; not to set forth axioms, absolute truths for Bahá'í scholarship or its methodologies. Most Bahá'ís know to a certain extent what Bahá'í scholarship is though relatively few seem to realize the importance of academically informed Bahá'í scholarship. Various Bahá'ís have written papers about Bahá'í scholarship though clarification of the nature of the field and its methodologies remains fundamental. Useful compilations have been produced.(2) Almost nothing has been communicated, however, about the concrete processes of doing Bahá'í scholarship or sketching out aspects of what needs to be done. The following pages then, will attempt to focus upon a western intellectual approach to doing Bahá'í scholarship, informed by academic principles and highlighting some important tasks to be done.(3) Bahá'í scholarship, the Bahá'í intellectual life, is not separate from Bahá'í teaching activity. It is an indispensable part of it. The Bahá'í life, in addition to its central ethical dimensions, also has intellectual dimensions:
  • [SIZE=-1]If the Bahá'ís want to be really effective in teaching the Cause they need to discuss intelligently, intellectually, the present condition of the world and its problems. We need Bahá'í scholars, not only people far, far more deeply aware of what our teachings really are, but also well-read and well-educated people, capable of correlating our teachings to the current thoughts of the leaders of society.
    We Bahá'ís should, in other words, arm our minds with knowledge in order to better demonstrate to, especially, the educated classes, the truths enshrined in our Faith. . . (From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi on 5 July 1949, cited in Deepening no. 153, emphasis added)[/SIZE]
As the Faith emerges from obscurity the value and significance of academic Bahá'í scholarship will become much more evident. Many of us will wish we had studied more, had read more Bahá'í and non-Bahá'í books; had truly striven to become Bahá'í scholars. Striving to become a Bahá'í scholar is not a three-year job but a lifelong process. As all have the duty of sharing their vision of the Bahá'í Faith ( = "teaching") with others, they also have the duty of doing this as intelligently and effectively as possible; such is the responsibility of becoming a Bahá'í scholar. The first task of the Bahá'í scholar might be said to be, to study, meditate and pray earnestly for the realization of scholarly insights. It is not enough to rely upon others – Bahá'u'lláh abolished the "priesthood" – to passively attend "deepening classes" which are sometimes of a poor quality or 'classical' Bahá'í 'fireside talks' repeated ad infinitum. The Bahá'í scholar is one who envisions and realizes the nature of the task; who makes an effort, who is creative and enthused about scholarly endeavours. Serving the Faith through scholarship implies effort and work; sacrifices need to be made.

See more at website cited at top

Hi Popeye,

I've read a few of your postings years ago and the one that really caught my eye (and heart) was your defense-narrative (in reply to a Muslim scholar) on how The Bab admitted that He was not the "Bab" and without denying that He is The Bab - Herald of Baha'u'llah. My heartfelt thanks to you !! What a display of superp scholarship !!

I also hope to find time to read the books that you recently published.

Last month I came across a biographical sketch of Prophet Muhammad and the
author mentioned that Mecca's old name was Becca - the valley where the Zamzam
well miraculously sprung up as a favor God made to Hagar & Ishamel. He also
quoted a chapter in Psalms to support that David sang this event.
In the Kitab-i -Iqan,The Blessed Beauty mentions Batha (explained as the SW suburb of Mecca). Would you have more information on this ?

Again,thanks,
wL

And to Stephen Lambden sir,

Thank you for your valuable Hurqalya works !! I started visiting your web-site years ago.
I still smile and thank God for the joys of your traslations and footnotes
of the Bab's Commentaries.
The episode of the "fire behind the fire" and "Joseph's coat" and "the Bees"
will always be on my mind.

Again thank you sir and I wish you'd live longer and add more to your very valuable
scholarly work !!

I wish you all the blessings of the Blessed Beauty
well-wisher