• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bahá'u'lláh gave Seven Valleys writing to Sufi order

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I do not know if RF baha'i members know :) but their founder Bahà'u'llàh did spend time with sufi Ordner from Nakshibendi tarika :) where he gave the writing Seven valleys.

So now i understand why i often find my self agreeing with baha'i practitioner when they speak :)

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
That's right. One of Baha'u'llah's early works during His exile in Baghdad was after a two year period of relative seclusion during which time He came in contact with a Sufi order.

From Wikipedia - Seven Valleys:

The Seven Valleys was written around 1860 in Baghdad after Baháʼu'lláh had returned from the Sulaymaniyah region in Iraqi Kurdistan where he spent two years anonymously with various Sufi sheikhs using the pseudonym Darvish Muhammad-i-Irani.[2][3] The work was written in response to questions posed by Shaykh Muhyi'd-Din, a judge, who was a follower of the Qádiríyyih Order of Sufism.[4] About the time of writing to Baháʼu'lláh, he quit his job, and spent the rest of his life wandering around Iraqi Kurdistan.[5]

The style of The Seven Valleys is highly poetic, though not composed in verse. Nearly every line of the text contains rhymes and plays on words, which can be lost in translation. As the recipient was of Sufi origin, Baháʼu'lláh used historical and religious subtleties which sometimes used only one or a few words to refer to Qurʼanic verses, traditions, and well-known poems.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not know if RF baha'i members know :) but their founder Bahà'u'llàh did spend time with sufi Ordner from Nakshibendi tarika :) where he gave the writing Seven valleys.

So now i understand why i often find my self agreeing with baha'i practitioner when they speak :)

I have a copy beside my lounge seat, in my car, in my travel bag and beside the bed.

I like opening it random and read about myself for that day.

Ha ha, it is nearly always where I am called to account!

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Baha'u'llah has said His 2 years as a Hermit is the greatest proof of His mission, there are many great stories and over 100,000 embraced his wisdom in a short time, this is another work he has done, I would like to read it one day, but not sure if there is any translation.

"... Amazed by the profundity of His insight and the compass of His understanding, they were impelled to seek from Him what they considered to be a conclusive and final evidence of the unique power and knowledge which He now appeared in their eyes to possess. “No one among the mystics, the wise, and the learned,” they claimed, while requesting this further favor from Him, “has hitherto proved himself capable of writing a poem in a rhyme and meter identical with that of the longer of the two odes, entitled Qaṣídiy-i-Tá’íyyih composed by Ibn-i-Fáriḍ. We beg you to write for us a poem in that same meter and rhyme.” This request was complied with, and no less than two thousand verses, in exactly the manner they had specified, were dictated by Him, out of which He selected one hundred and twenty-seven, which He permitted them to keep, deeming the subject matter of the rest premature and unsuitable to the needs of the times. It is these same one hundred and twenty-seven verses that constitute the Qaṣídiy-i-Varqá’íyyih, so familiar to, and widely circulated amongst, His Arabic speaking followers.

Such was their reaction to this marvelous demonstration of the sagacity and genius of Bahá’u’lláh that they unanimously acknowledged every single verse of that poem to be endowed with a force, beauty and power far surpassing anything contained in either the major or minor odes composed by that celebrated poet."

God Passes By | Bahá’í Reference Library

Regards Tony

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am happy that this teaching can be shared between faiths :)
Both sufism and baha'i have love for all humanity as mutual understanding:)