• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baháʼí's Only: The Personal Investigation of Truth

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Before Baha'u'llah passed away, he encouraged all of his followers to embark on their own personal investigation of truth. I was wondering how far this can go. Shoghi Effendi has denied that the Baha'i Faith can be deistic or pantheistic, yet, if say, I not only believe in both as a means to understand God, but also understand that the Baha'i Faith isn't affirming monotheism but creating it, is it then fair at that point to say that I am still Baha'i, just with some provisional differences between a standard Baha'i and myself? Can I call myself "post-Baha'i" fairly?

Like the Baha'is I believe in progressive revelation and truth, yet, I believe it comes from human evolution rather than the succession of various prophets. When I read Gleanings or other Baha'i scripture, I do not frame it in a way that I think he is merely experiencing God, but rather, also creating that God from each sentence he writes, and I read. I believe that every person in some way is developing that God too, as they strive for their own perfection in their daily lives. The Manifestations just do it in a way that foretells a greater future for humankind, and for Baha'is, that greater future is unity. I firmly believe in that unity, and afterwards, working on the Kardashev Scale as we consume more and more energy for our utilities and technology.

I very much so see that the Baha'i Faith is the world's most developed religion, but I want to know what other Baha'is think about combining my own, exaltist theology, with the mainstream religion. Is using the term "post-Baha'i" fair to use, or should I find a different way of describing myself? I'm trying to avoid all the other terms I was throwing out, because those aren't religions but rather theological positions. Similarly, some atheists here don't say their religion is atheism, because atheism isn't a religion, but say that they don't have a religion. Any theology by itself isn't a religion on its own merit, because religion also involves rituals, rites, a code of ethics and affects people and society as a whole. A theology simply can't do that by itself.

I'd like for the Baha'is of this forum to read this and answer my questions if possible. If "post-Baha'i" isn't a fair term to use for myself, I will try constructing a way to describe my beliefs that makes sense and doesn't offend anyone. I would prefer if only Baha'is were to answer, as they know the most about their own religion.

Thank you.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Before Baha'u'llah passed away, he encouraged all of his followers to embark on their own personal investigation of truth. I was wondering how far this can go. Shoghi Effendi has denied that the Baha'i Faith can be deistic or pantheistic, yet, if say, I not only believe in both as a means to understand God, but also understand that the Baha'i Faith isn't affirming monotheism but creating it, is it then fair at that point to say that I am still Baha'i, just with some provisional differences between a standard Baha'i and myself? Can I call myself "post-Baha'i" fairly?

Like the Baha'is I believe in progressive revelation and truth, yet, I believe it comes from human evolution rather than the succession of various prophets. When I read Gleanings or other Baha'i scripture, I do not frame it in a way that I think he is merely experiencing God, but rather, also creating that God from each sentence he writes, and I read. I believe that every person in some way is developing that God too, as they strive for their own perfection in their daily lives. The Manifestations just do it in a way that foretells a greater future for humankind, and for Baha'is, that greater future is unity. I firmly believe in that unity, and afterwards, working on the Kardashev Scale as we consume more and more energy for our utilities and technology.

I very much so see that the Baha'i Faith is the world's most developed religion, but I want to know what other Baha'is think about combining my own, exaltist theology, with the mainstream religion. Is using the term "post-Baha'i" fair to use, or should I find a different way of describing myself? I'm trying to avoid all the other terms I was throwing out, because those aren't religions but rather theological positions. Similarly, some atheists here don't say their religion is atheism, because atheism isn't a religion, but say that they don't have a religion. Any theology by itself isn't a religion on its own merit, because religion also involves rituals, rites, a code of ethics and affects people and society as a whole. A theology simply can't do that by itself.

I'd like for the Baha'is of this forum to read this and answer my questions if possible. If "post-Baha'i" isn't a fair term to use for myself, I will try constructing a way to describe my beliefs that makes sense and doesn't offend anyone. I would prefer if only Baha'is were to answer, as they know the most about their own religion.

Thank you.
I don't have a good answer for you on this. Honestly I don't know if the teaching by Baha'u'llah was meant to be added to or even retracted from.

But I don't feel offended by your thoughts either:)

InvestigateTruth

Thank you.
To me you are free to have your own understanding of the Bahai Faith, or mix it with some other beliefs. Offcourse Bahais only consider the Bahai scriptures as the main source for their Faith.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't have a good answer for you on this. Honestly I don't know if the teaching by Baha'u'llah was meant to be added to or even retracted from.
No, but there are many ways that we can interpret the Writings of Baha'u'llah and thus different understandings of what they mean.

I do not believe that humans can ever become God, but we can become 'like God' and that is really the entire goal of this earthly journey, to acquire God-like attributes.

“Whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth is a direct evidence of the revelation within it of the attributes and names of God, inasmuch as within every atom are enshrined the signs that bear eloquent testimony to the revelation of that Most Great Light. Methinks, but for the potency of that revelation, no being could ever exist. How resplendent the luminaries of knowledge that shine in an atom, and how vast the oceans of wisdom that surge within a drop! To a supreme degree is this true of man, who, among all created things, hath been invested with the robe of such gifts, and hath been singled out for the glory of such distinction. For in him are potentially revealed all the attributes and names of God to a degree that no other created being hath excelled or surpassed. All these names and attributes are applicable to him. Even as He hath said: “Man is My mystery, and I am his mystery.” Manifold are the verses that have been repeatedly revealed in all the Heavenly Books and the Holy Scriptures, expressive of this most subtle and lofty theme. Even as He hath revealed: “We will surely show them Our signs in the world and within themselves.” Again He saith: “And also in your own selves: will ye not, then, behold the signs of God?” And yet again He revealeth: “And be ye not like those who forget God, and whom He hath therefore caused to forget their own selves.” In this connection, He Who is the eternal King—may the souls of all that dwell within the mystic Tabernacle be a sacrifice unto Him—hath spoken: “He hath known God who hath known himself.”

…From that which hath been said it becometh evident that all things, in their inmost reality, testify to the revelation of the names and attributes of God within them. Each according to its capacity, indicateth, and is expressive of, the knowledge of God. So potent and universal is this revelation, that it hath encompassed all things visible and invisible. Thus hath He revealed: “Hath aught else save Thee a power of revelation which is not possessed by Thee, that it could have manifested Thee? Blind is the eye which doth not perceive Thee.” Likewise hath the eternal King spoken: “No thing have I perceived, except that I perceived God within it, God before it, or God after it.” Also in the tradition of Kumayl it is written: “Behold, a light hath shone forth out of the morn of eternity, and lo, its waves have penetrated the inmost reality of all men.” Man, the noblest and most perfect of all created things, excelleth them all in the intensity of this revelation, and is a fuller expression of its glory. And of all men, the most accomplished, the most distinguished, and the most excellent are the Manifestations of the Sun of Truth. Nay, all else besides these Manifestations, live by the operation of Their Will, and move and have their being through the outpourings of Their grace.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 177-179

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thank you.

That is an Interesting concept. I am a bit black and white, so to me, In the end the name Baha'i is given to a follower of Baha'u'llah, a Manifestation of God! That has many sub thoughts though and tangents it could take!

One can be accepting of the teachings and live a life as asked of us, thus also reflect a Baha'i life, but I see in the end what changes a Baha'i, is there own ability to submit to what God has given us.

That submission comes about after we realise we are not the source of all the good and all the elevated thought we can have. We can only reflect them according to the level of our submission.

That is also a good lesson for Baha'i, as we have been told if we had grasped this Message and Lived it, the world would have progressed at a more rapid rate.

All the best, Regards Tony

Last edited:

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Thanks for the responses everybody.

It would probably confuse most people if I called myself anything remotely Baha'i and then people expect me adhere to things that I don't and never really believed in.

I still respect and honor the Baha'i Faith as one of the best widespread religions that currently exist, and I still consider many of my ideas post-Baha'i.

However, it is so much easier to understand who I am from the Earthseed point of view. My idea of "God is what nature is becoming" is essentially what Earthseed teaches, as their main concept is "God is change." I have found that Earthseed is a real religion, although there aren't many people in it, Earthseed eventually inspired Syntheism and a variety of religions I am closer to theologically than the Baha'i Faith.

I will continue to learn more about the Baha'i Faith and other key global religions. But I must be honest with myself first and foremost and admit that my religion takes root in the concept of Earthseed. Earthseed became Syntheism and Syntheism became Exaltism. Exaltism is not a religion, but rather a theological point of view that stems from an actual religion, Earthseed.

I thank all Baha'is that have replied to this thread.