• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad person/people

We Never Know

No Slack
-If you're religious, you support religion
-If you're gay, you support homosexuality
-If you're atheist, you support atheism
-If you're republican, you support the right
-If you're democrat, your support the left
-If you're transgender, you support transgenderism(yes its a word)
-If you're......etc

Probably not anyone will support all of the above. Maybe a few but not all. Therefore everyone is a bad person to someone for not supporting what they support.

Its life. It won't get any better. In my opinion it will get worse.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
-If you're......etc

Probably not anyone will support all of the above. Maybe a few but not all. Therefore everyone is a bad person to someone for not supporting what they support.

I think supporting your own positions is fine...after all, you have a more nuanced understanding of them, and you hold them for a reason, one would hope.

Demonizing others, or thinking everything is a binary us or them choice is what I find problematic.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
-If you're......etc

Idk.

See I don't see "lack of support" as necessarily being a "lack of respect". I don't like or support certain things/groups/people. But I don't see that as a free pass to be disrespectful, or unfair to them.

HonestJoe

Why would you assume someone is a "bad person" because they support different things? How "good" or "bad" a person is is generally based on motives rather than conclusions. It's perfectly possible for someone to reach different conclusions with good motives, either due to honest misunderstanding or legitimate difference of opinion.

We Never Know

No Slack
Why would you assume someone is a "bad person" because they support different things? How "good" or "bad" a person is is generally based on motives rather than conclusions. It's perfectly possible for someone to reach different conclusions with good motives, either due to honest misunderstanding or legitimate difference of opinion.

I agree. Many times its doesn't work that way. Plenty of examples can be seen on forums.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
-If you're......etc

Support as in support rights for said groups?
Or support as in partaking in them?

I mean, isn’t that a bit like saying, you can only support interracial marriage if you’re mixed race?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I mean, isn’t that a bit like saying, you can only support interracial marriage if you’re mixed race?

Also ignores the fact that many religious people support their own religion only. Not religion in general.

We Never Know

No Slack

"isn’t that a bit like saying, you can only support interracial marriage if you’re mixed race?

Nope. As I said some can support a few

Truth in love

-If you're......etc

We have a choice

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Didn't figure I needed to list every single one separately for anyone to understand but that could fall under
"If you're .... etc"

Didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing...I think there is some value in the broad point you're making. Just not quite that straight forwards, imo.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
And if you're a neutral party, both sides think you're a bad person... :confused:

Yes, or if one tries to see both sides in an argument. If it's a polarizing issue, then there are those who have an attitude of "those who are not with us are against us."

dbe7957c9d369c2b009fd2bd917538c3.jpg

We Never Know

No Slack
Yes, or if one tries to see both sides in an argument. If it's a polarizing issue, then there are those who have an attitude of "those who are not with us are against us."

"if one tries to see both sides in an argument. If it's a polarizing issue, then there are those who have an attitude of "those who are not with us are against us."

^^^^^^^ this^^^^^^^

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I often find the idea that there are 2 sides to a story kinda funny, since it seems to lead to people discounting the third, fourth or fifth side.