• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad News for Johnson & Johnson (and the World)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
here is one example.....

Vaccine fails to curb Covid for 246 people in U.S. midwest state

cus1617793380915.jpg

LANSING, Michigan: Michigan health officials report that there have been 246 cases of fully vaccinated people contracting COVID-19.
Three of these people have died.
"These are individuals who have had a positive test 14 or more days after the last dose in the vaccine series," said Lynn Sutfin, a spokesperson for the state health department.
However, officials noted that of the 246 people, some had contracted the coronavirus before being vaccinated and continued to test positive two weeks after being inoculated.
Of 117 people of the vaccinated people who contracted the Covid virus, 11 required hospitalization.

What percentage of vaccinated people in Michigan is that?

And what percentage of unvaccinated individuals contracted COVID in the same period?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What percentage of vaccinated people in Michigan is that?

And what percentage of unvaccinated individuals contracted COVID in the same period?
I didn't write the article
but I bet you can find one to answer your question
to your favor if you want to

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't write the article
but I bet you can find one to answer your question
to your favor if you want to

No, you posted the article. So if you think it proves something, show it.

It's math. There's no "finding an answer to your favor." The answer is what it is.

So what is it?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Important to keep this in perspective. The risk from the AstraZeneca vaccine is very small, far less than the the risk of dying from Covid, unless you are young. Since the J & J vaccine uses the same vaccine design as the AstraZeneca one, it is not surprising, it may have similar rare side effects.

Most vaccines have some rare side effects. I have seen nothing so far to suggest these vaccines are more risky than usual. For example, the risk of paralysis from the polio vaccine is rather similar to the risk of these rare blood clots with the AstraZeneca vaccine, somewhere between one in million and one in a hundred thousand.

So I don't see this as bad news for the world, as yet. I would agree it would be, if the incidence is shown to be higher than what I've indicated. That would start to tilt the balance of risk between vaccination and death or serious illness from the virus, among some groups, especially younger people.
Yes, it really seems to come down to a question such as this: out of a random sample of the population, how many of these clots would we expect to see? Broken down by male and female and by age group would be more information. And if it turns out that about 6 people out of 6 million should expect to see these clots (and that's close to the numbers seen with both the A-Z and J&J vaccines), then it should not appear that the vaccines are the responsible agents.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
this one aspect is all over the place
find one in favor
you can find another to the contrary
Of course you can always find someone saying something to the contrary. Are they credible? That is an entirely different matter. Are your sources credible? I don't believe they are.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Six American women who have received the Johnson & Johnson COVID vaccine have developed some type of blood clotting condition, similar to what happened in Europe with the AstraZeneca vaccine. The FDA and CDC have put out a joint statement recommending a pause on further administration of the J&J vaccine until more research is done.

U.S. Calls for Pause on Johnson & Johnson Vaccine After Blood Clotting Cases - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

And I just got my J&J shot yesterday...happy happy joy joy

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Since there have been almost 7 million of the J & J vaccine already administered, the chances of dying from it are less than 1 in a million.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do wish that people would put this in perspective. The odds of death if one gets the Covid virus is roughly one in a hundred. The odds of death for the vaccine appears to be one in a million.

Which one is a bigger threat?
This points out the problem I run into with anti-vaxer friends.
They worry about the risk of the vaccines, but not about
the plague. It can't be quantified because all statistics are
government lies. So for them, it's the default of always better
to do nothing than something.
One friend thinks he has natural immunity to it because he
doesn't often get sick. (His sister died of Covid, BTW.)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes, it really seems to come down to a question such as this: out of a random sample of the population, how many of these clots would we expect to see? Broken down by male and female and by age group would be more information. And if it turns out that about 6 people out of 6 million should expect to see these clots (and that's close to the numbers seen with both the A-Z and J&J vaccines), then it should not appear that the vaccines are the responsible agents.
It looks as though this is exactly the issue the statisticians are struggling with.

However, it seems as if they have now found a possible mechanism to account for a linkage, which starts to make it look plausible, although extremely rare. It appears that in some rare cases, the vaccinated person reacts by making a particular type of antibody that causes platelets to clump, which triggers other parts of the clotting mechanism. They don't know what predisposes a person to react this way but the suggestion is that this antibody reaction is more likely in the more vigorous immune systems of young people.

But the point remains that the risk of death from Covid is, for anyone over the age of about 30, greater than the risk of a blood clot from the vaccine.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It looks as though this is exactly the issue the statisticians are struggling with.

However, it seems as if they have now found a possible mechanism to account for a linkage, which starts to make it look plausible, although extremely rare. It appears that in some rare cases, the vaccinated person reacts by making a particular type of antibody that causes platelets to clump, which triggers other parts of the clotting mechanism. They don't know what predisposes a person to react this way but the suggestion is that this antibody reaction is more likely in the more vigorous immune systems of young people.

But the point remains that the risk of death from Covid is, for anyone over the age of about 30, greater than the risk of a blood clot from the vaccine.
Well, in my case, my partner and I already have had dose 1 of the A-Z vaccine (and quite a few of my friends, too) and we are all doing very well. And every one of us is anxious to get on with the second dose. None of us is in the least worried -- we are all far beyond age 30.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well, in my case, my partner and I already have had dose 1 of the A-Z vaccine (and quite a few of my friends, too) and we are all doing very well. And every one of us is anxious to get on with the second dose. None of us is in the least worried -- we are all far beyond age 30.
I'm the same. One shot for AstraZeneca so far and I'm waiting for the second. Though in my case as I had a virus a year ago my first shot may have acted already as a booster, since my immune system already recognises the virus. Im hoping that after a 2nd shot I'll be bloody invincible! (But I'm in my 60s so not worried about blood clots.)