• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad karma punishment

Oleh

Thanks for everyone's response. I started to doubt. Maybe I haven't done such terrible things to deserve severe punishment. And hell is more about purification which is not painful. I have read that if you kill an animal then in your next life you will be that animal and someone will kill you. I eat meat and also I killed lots of mosquitoes in my life. But now I start to understand that maybe it was a myth. According to Hinduism it was, right?

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One life form is food for another - "Jeevo Jivasya Bhojanam", that is what our books say. Is a wheat plant not a living being. There is a story in Bhagawat Purana (one of the most respected Hindu books) when a learned brahmin was sent to a pious butcher to learn 'dharma' or the way life should be lived. We knew even 2,000 years ago that plants too are living beings. You may read the story here - "Dharma Vyadha": Story of Dharmavyaadha

Even our living involves unnoticed killing of many creatures. Killing for pleasure, loot, etc. is bad. It is OK to kill for food limited by how much food is necessary and not beyond that - unless one becomes vegetarian by choice, which is the best.

syo

Hi, I started learning different religions. Unfortunately, I haven't chosen any yet but I always tend to believe the worst. According to Hinduism, if you have bad karma you will be burned in hell. I can't stop to fear. I feel so desperate that I wont to commit suicide. Sorry if this is the wrong topic. Is there any hinduist who can advise me how to survive being burned in hell. I can't live in constant fear of karma punishment. It is not life, it is hell.
In eastern orthodox christianity denomination, we have the belief that when we do bad things, we commit sin. We are ''cured'' from the sins if we regret the sins, fill ourselves with love and don't repeat the sins. You should focus on the good things and leave the bad things behind you and move on.

Last edited:

ajay0

Hi, I started learning different religions. Unfortunately, I haven't chosen any yet but I always tend to believe the worst. According to Hinduism, if you have bad karma you will be burned in hell.

As per hinduism, heaven and hell are created in your own mind.

Mind can make a hell of heaven or a heaven of hell. - Swami Chinmayananda

The quality of your life depends on the quality of your mind. - Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Bad karma actually means intense impressions in the unconscious mind which results in mental agitations of cravings and aversions. Addictions are but intense cravings . The agitated mind is a miserable mind. Obviously this will create hell for anyone.

You have the conscious choice for right actions or wrong actions.

I can't stop to fear. I feel so desperate that I wont to commit suicide.

As per Hinduism, committing suicide is a very bad karma in itself. The ego becomes more stronger and unconscious in the next life.

Sorry if this is the wrong topic. Is there any hinduist who can advise me how to survive being burned in hell. I can't live in constant fear of karma punishment. It is not life, it is hell.

Fears are but aversions , which in turn is a manifestation of the ego.

The antidote to the ego is self-awareness.

As Bruce Lee stated, “Be self aware, rather than a repetitious robot.”

Karma forces you to live like a repetitious robot with desires and fears, due to the pressure of unconscious impressions. Addictions are very strong unconscious impressions.

If you are conscious and aware, you can live life in your own terms rather than that of karma or past impressions.

Oleh

As per hinduism, heaven and hell are created in your own mind.

Karma forces you to live like a repetitious robot with desires and fears, due to the pressure of unconscious impressions. Addictions are very strong unconscious impressions.

If you are conscious and aware, you can live life in your own terms rather than that of karma or past impressions.
I don't understand... What are the unconscious impressions? Firstly you tell:
As per Hinduism, heaven and hell are created in your own mind.
But then you tell
Karma forces you to live like a repetitious robot with desires and fears
So if karma exists it makes people suffer?

Last edited:

Oleh

Firstly I thought that religion should make people happy. But then I read so much about hell, about Sharia punishment that now I dought whether God is kind and loving.
So far before choosing the right religion for myself I want to start feeling safe. Feel that no matter what is a true religion(s) is (are) I am saved and no one will hurt me.
So far I found out that Judaism, Islam and Christianity are safe for me. I also hope that Hinduism and karma teaching won't hurt me as well.
However, here is what I have read about karma:
Hinduism's revealed scripture, tell us if we sow goodness, we will reap goodness; if we sow evil, we will reap evil. The process of action and reaction on all levels—physical, mental and spiritual—is karma. Here is an example. I say kind words to you, and you feel peaceful and happy. I say harsh words to you, and you become ruffled and upset. The kindness and the harshness will return to me, through others, at a later time. This is karma.
I don't know what to expect for what I have done. If I told harsh words to someone then someone will do the same. I am not afraid of that. But I don't know what is a Hindu belief in hell. Maybe most of them consider it a fairy-tale? Or it is not as frightening as it seems to be(no one will harm my tongue because of harsh words)? Can good deeds really help to make the consequences of bad karma significantly smaller?
There are two options I think about:
1) Those who believe in karma just put up with the fact they will suffer(but I can't live in constant fear of that, I wish it happened right now and ended)
2) Everything is not that bad and there is something I can do to avoid suffering or to make it super small and fast.

Sorry for behaving the way I do. I just need help.

ajay0

I don't understand... What are the unconscious impressions? Firstly you tell:

But then you tell

Here is a saying by Paramahamsa Yogananda for perspective....

Be careful what you choose to do consciously, for unless your will is very strong, that is what you may have to do repeatedly and compulsively through the habit-influencing power of the subconscious mind. ~ Yogananda

Unconscious impressions are created when one does actions under the influence of cravings and aversions. The impressions formed (Vasanas) induce such actions again repetitively.

Actions performed in love or present moment awareness or mindfulness does not create such impressions,resulting in self-mastery. ( rather than being mastered by the fickle mind and senses).

This is why Chinmayananda stated that it is one's own mind that creates heaven or hell.

It is your cravings and aversions of the untamed mind, that create hell for you. All crimes come under the spectrum of craving and aversion.

And the mind mastered, creates heaven for oneself.

As Krishna says in the Gita, "For one who have conquered his mind , mind is best of friends, but for one who has failed to do so, mind is the greatest enemy." BG: 6.6

Imo,the abrahamic hell of eternal hellfire and torture is just a figment of imagination, perpetuated for social conditioning. It may have had its utility in the past to create a system of do's and don'ts for social survival, but at the moment, it is more regressive than progressive. This is because of the great fear it creates for hellfire and the Devil. I know a christian lady put in a mental hospital due to paranoia regarding the devil.

So I am not in favour of such tactics. Jesus talked more about love and compassion. Education and critical thinking also brings honesty and accountability, imho.

ajay0

Here are some inspiring sayings by Swami Vivekananda for contemplation to get rid of any persisting fears....

The Vedanta recognizes no sin it only recognizes error. And the greatest error, says the Vedanta is to say that you are weak, that you are a sinner, a miserable creature, and that you have no power and you cannot do this and that.

You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself.

Strength is Life, Weakness is death.

Fear is death, fear is sin, fear is hell, fear is unrighteousness, fear is wrong life. All the negative thoughts and ideas that are in the world have proceeded from this evil spirit of fear.

Freedom can never be reached by the weak. Throw away all weakness. Tell your body that it is strong, tell your mind that it is strong, and have unbounded faith and hope in yourself.

If superstition enters, the brain is gone.

Soft-brained people, weak-minded, chicken-hearted, cannot find the truth. One has to be free, and as broad as the sky.

There is only one sin. That is weakness.... The only saint is that soul that never weakens, faces everything, and determines to die game.

Stand up, be bold, be strong. Take the whole responsibility on your own shoulders, and know that you are the creator of your own destiny. All the strength and succor you want is within yourself. Therefore make your own future.

Oleh

Hi, everyone. Unfortunately, since I started learning that religion I am always afraid of something bad to happen. I am gay. And I used to tell my friends or other gay guys about others. I feel terrible. I don't want to live. Actually, I want to kill myself because every day I am afraid someone will kill me. If karma is about what you do the same will be done to you then someone will tell that I am gay and I may be killed, right? Unfortunately, I can't remember all the gay people I know to check whether they are ok. What should I do in my situation?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi, everyone. Unfortunately, since I started learning that religion I am always afraid of something bad to happen. I am gay. And I used to tell my friends or other gay guys about others. I feel terrible. I don't want to live. Actually, I want to kill myself because every day I am afraid someone will kill me. If karma is about what you do the same will be done to you then someone will tell that I am gay and I may be killed, right? Unfortunately, I can't remember all the gay people I know to check whether they are ok. What should I do in my situation?
No Karma is about checks and balances. If he negative outweighs he positive then more experience is required. People often simplify it to mean something akin to Newton's Laws of Physics. But it's not often instant. It's just a way humans decided to explain why life is unfair.
And please seek professional help.

Oleh

No Karma is about checks and balances. If he negative outweighs he positive then more experience is required. People often simplify it to mean something akin to Newton's Laws of Physics. But it's not often instant. It's just a way humans decided to explain why life is unfair.
And please seek professional help.
Thanks. But that is the exact explanation of karma I mostly read about over the internet. I understand that what internet has is sometimes wrong but that is why I need to find truth. I don't want to suffer because of my errors. I want to be happy. And yes, psychologist can help me, I had a few meetings already.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sure, 'Karma' is what we do (our action), in life or after that, we will reap what we sow (that is, if you believe in this scheme of things). Evil deeds will make us suffer and even others.
1) Those who believe in karma just put up with the fact they will suffer (but I can't live in constant fear of that, I wish it happened right now and ended).
Why? Those who have not done any serious kind of evil, will not suffer a lot. And they will enjoy a lot in heaven. In Hindu heaven, you don't necessarily have to sing praises of God all the time. It is not a belief in Karma that makes one suffer, it is one's deeds. This would hold irrespective of one's belief or unbelief in God. Even an atheist may have to suffer the results of his/her evil deeds in life. Evil deeds do not bring any good to most people. Why do you want this to end now? Engage in good deeds and mitigate the effects of your bad deeds to some extent. Being LGBTQ is not a problem in Hinduism or in India. The Indian government provides a whole lot of facilities to alternatively inclined people. All laws take that into consideration.

Last edited:

Oleh

Sure, 'Karma' is what we do (our action), in life or after that, we will reap what we sow (that is, if you believe in this scheme of things). Evil deeds will make us suffer and even others.
It is sad to me. How those who believe in karma don't fear of its consequences? I may have hurt others. If someone died because of me I will die as well?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is sad to me. How those who believe in karma don't fear of its consequences? I may have hurt others. If someone died because of me I will die as well?
Fearing the consequences of your action is like fearing death. It's actually irrational, because it's going to happen whether you like it or not. As the saying goes ... When the going gets tough, the tough get going." I've seen people smile in the most difficult of circumstances, (A quadrapalegic from a tragic accident, for example) while others bawl and whine because Mommy didn't make the right dinner. Better just to face whatever circumstance as best you can.

Oleh

Fearing the consequences of your action is like fearing death. It's actually irrational, because it's going to happen whether you like it or not. As the saying goes ... When the going gets tough, the tough get going." I've seen people smile in the most difficult of circumstances, (A quadrapalegic from a tragic accident, for example) while others bawl and whine because Mommy didn't make the right dinner. Better just to face whatever circumstance as best you can.
But I am not afraid of ordinary death. I don't know what karma will do to me. How can I know karma won't make that someone will torture me? Maybe I didn't do something that bad so I can live in piece?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We don't fear because we try to stick to 'dharma' (fulfillment of our duties and engaging in righteous action). We do make mistakes but try not to deviate from the path of 'dharma'. The rest, if one is a theist, is in God's hands. I am not a theist). Even if someone dies because of anybody, one should not leave the righteous path.
But I am not afraid of ordinary death. I don't know what karma will do to me.
Well, no one knows how one will die. Perhaps at the most inopportune time, perhaps in great pain, perhaps in abject rejection, perhaps peacefully. We have no control over it, so why should we rack our brains on that. "Que Sera Sera" (What will be, will be).

ajay0

Rest assured, being gay is not a sin in Hinduism, lol. Same goes for transgenders.

Lord Krishna used a transgender archer Shikhandi to neutralize the opposing general in the mahabharatha war. Displeasing transgenders is considered inauspicious in India.

There is nothing wrong with being gay in Hinduism.

Don't feel bad about yourself in any way. As per Hinduism, divinity is inherent in every sentient being.

You are a god, eternal and immortal.

“Ye are the children of God, the sharers of immortal bliss, holy and perfect beings. Ye divinities on earth - sinners! It is a sin to call man so; it is a standing libel on human nature. Come up, lions! and shake off the delusion that you are sheep; you are souls immortal, spirits free, blest and eternal.” ~ Swami Vivekananda

Last edited:

Oleh

We don't fear because we try to stick to 'dharma' (fulfillment of our duties and engaging in righteous action). We do make mistakes but try not to deviate from the path of 'dharma'. The rest, if one is a theist, is in God's hands. I am not a theist). Even if someone dies because of anybody, one should not leave the righteous path.Well, no one knows how one will die. Perhaps at the most inopportune time, perhaps in great pain, perhaps in abject rejection, perhaps peacefully. We have no control over it, so why should we rack our brains on that. "Que Sera Sera" (What will be, will be).
I agree, but if I did not do any harm to others I can hope everything will be OK. However, if I because of me someone died in not that a guarantee that sooner or later someone will kill me? Or hurt me?

ajay0

I agree, but if I did not do any harm to others I can hope everything will be OK. However, if I because of me someone died in not that a guarantee that sooner or later someone will kill me? Or hurt me?

Good and bad karma will gain good and bad results. That is all there is to it.

Even then your soul is eternal and immortal.

Even if a devil or Satan exists, he himself is considered by us to be divinity under the temporary spell of ignorance, that is all.

There is nothing to fear other than fear itself for it pours ignorance and delusion on the soul.

Strength, courage and purity of mind is what is extolled in Hinduism. And that is there in you, covered temporarily by ignorance and delusion.

You are like a strong and brave lion hypnotized to be a cowardly sheep by Maya. This is the message of Vedanta and Hinduism.

Oleh

Good and bad karma will gain good and bad results. That is all there is to it.

Even then your soul is eternal and immortal.

Even if a devil or Satan exists, he himself is considered by us to be divinity under the temporary spell of ignorance, that is all.

There is nothing to fear other than fear itself for it pours ignorance and delusion on the soul.

Strength, courage and purity of mind is what is extolled in Hinduism. And that is there in you, covered temporarily by ignorance and delusion.

You are like a strong and brave lion hypnotized to be a cowardly sheep by Maya. This is the message of Vedanta and Hinduism.
But how can I live happily knowing that I will be killed? Or I still can hope it won't happen?