• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad karma punishment

Jumi

I cannot proof the hell does not exist. That is why I suffer. I need to know how to avoid it.
You can't prove that there aren't multiple hells either, perhaps there are 1000s of them and an infinite of heavens and paradises. But who will go? Can you prove you will visit one of them...

Oleh

I see existence is better than non existence. Whatever the circumstances. People here on earth face unimaginable suffering daily. There is nothing that hell can bring that people better than me haven't faced. Why should I suffer less if it is what I truly deserve?
I just want not to suffer. Or for what I have done I must suffer?

Oleh

You're living in hell right now by the sounds of it.
Hindus (tend to) believe that to be our true selves one has to connect to the ultimate source. But there are stories of "wicked people" going to heaven as it were. I forget the name, but there is a tale where a king endlessly thought about killing an incarnation of God on earth. When he died, he went straight to heaven, for as Vishnu claimed, he always had God on his mind.
Hindus want their existence destroyed, their conciousness to be freed from life itself and absorbed into the universe. Heaven and hell are mere pit stops on the journey. A purification ritual rather than some punishment or indeed reward. Just try not to hurt other people and you'll be fine.
I am confused. Can I hope I will avoid hell or it is impossible and everyone goes through it except some saints?

Earthling

David Henson
:D That is quite simple, Oleh - don't indulge in evil deeds and fulfill your familial, social and nationl duties - you will be well-rewarded in heven. That is irrespective of your faith and belief. Hinduism is an absolutely fair religion. Same treatment to all.

I thought that the Hindu version of hell was more about purification than punishment.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But I have already done bad things. :(
That is not much of a problem. Kindly refrain from doing evil things from now on, do not torture yourself because of that, do some extra good things in trying to nullify the effects of your bad deeds. Hindus have hells (Narka - Naraka (Hinduism) - Wikipedia) of various kinds. Not every one burns till eternity, actually no one ever does. Some hells are as easy as the Scandinavian prisons. At the end of your sentence, you are given a new birth to get it better till you finally pass the divine examination.
But I have read that no matter what good you deed you must suffer for bad things you did. And for all bad things you need to suffer.
That is true for Hinduism. The good deeds and the bad ones are not squared up. One has to suffer for the bad deeds, only that the punishment is lighter if there are good deeds also.
Just ignore karma altogether and get on with your life.:rolleyes::cool::D
You may ignore 'karma' but do not ignore 'Dharma' (Fulfillment of your duties and engaging in righteous action).

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is why I am asking Hindus here. I feel terrible. I need answers.
You are always welcome.
I cannot proof the hell does not exist. That is why I suffer. I need to know how to avoid it.
You can also not prove that God/Gods exists/exist. In that case who will give you punishment? You have also not proved that hell/hells exists. Why then, worry about them? But one can get out of this by refusing to believe in soul, God, heaven, hell, rebirth, deliverance, etc. I follow an atheistic form of of Hinduism (Advaita). I have abandoned all these views, and am completely happy and fearless.
I grew up in Christian country and that is the best religion for me.
Well, 999 out of 1000 will go to hell, that is what Jesus said. At one time God brought on floods, another time he cursed the cities. Even in his commandment, he says he would punish your children up to three or four generations for your fault. That does not show that God has much love for people.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Hi, I started learning different religions. Unfortunately, I haven't chosen any yet but I always tend to believe the worst. According to Hinduism, if you have bad karma you will be burned in hell. I can't stop to fear. I feel so desperate that I wont to commit suicide. Sorry if this is the wrong topic. Is there any hinduist who can advise me how to survive being burned in hell. I can't live in constant fear of karma punishment. It is not life, it is hell.

You are looking around, to choose what to
believe?

Choosing to believe is just self -deception.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hindus (tend to) believe that to be our true selves one has to connect to the ultimate source. But there are stories of "wicked people" going to heaven as it were. I forget the name, but there is a tale where a king endlessly thought about killing an incarnation of God on earth. When he died, he went straight to heaven, for as Vishnu claimed, he always had God on his mind.
That was Shishupala, the adversary of Krishna. Krishna forgave him a hundred times as that was his promise to Shishupala's mother, but killed Shishupala when he abused him for a hundred and one time. But as you say, Shishupala went straight to heaven because awake or sleeping he was always thinking of Krishna.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Hi, I started learning different religions. Unfortunately, I haven't chosen any yet but I always tend to believe the worst. According to Hinduism, if you have bad karma you will be burned in hell. I can't stop to fear. I feel so desperate that I wont to commit suicide. Sorry if this is the wrong topic. Is there any hinduist who can advise me how to survive being burned in hell. I can't live in constant fear of karma punishment. It is not life, it is hell.

Please get some professional help and counseling. Life is an adventure made to be enjoyed. You shouldn't live in fear.

As a Christian, I can tell you the Bible explains how Jesus came to take away the sin/karma/punishment of the world, God loving everyone so much He was tortured to death on a cross to pay our sin. He then rose from the dead in triumph. As the Bible puts it, anyone who trusts Jesus for eternal life has salvation and freedom from many kinds of fears and anxieties.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I just want not to suffer. Or for what I have done I must suffer?
Well there's always Christianity. Jesus suffered/paid for your sins.

Not my cup of tea. I don't want others paying for any penalties I incur but it's the route that many choose.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do people feel that compassion is for everyone else but themselves?
If you realize that how we treat others is simply a projection of how we treat ourselves, then to practice compassion for others leads to the ultimate realization it is ourselves we have to forgive and love. To practice it with others, shows us that we can learn how to show grace to ourselves too. Starting with ourselves, is the hardest place to start for most.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What if I did worse things when I was a tenn than usually people do.?
Feelings of guilt will not lead you into feelings of joy. Self-forgiveness and holding yourself with love will. You can overcome these negatives, through embracing positives. Don't give your power away to fear, guilt, and shame.

These do not define you. The fact you do not like these things, shows you already have a higher Light operating in you. Embrace that instead. Let that define you. It all comes down to your choice. Both options are available to you. Which would you rather experience in your life? The prison of fear, or the Freedom of Love?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I am confused. Can I hope I will avoid hell or it is impossible and everyone goes through it except some saints?
Even saints go through or went through "hell" if one is inclined to believe in such concepts of course. I mean "hell" is what you make of it, really. Some argue that existence on earth is the true hell, for we are seperate from God/Cosmos/Universe. The Hindu version is less about suffering (since one suffers in life anyway) and more about purifying your soul for another whack at things.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I thought that the Hindu version of hell was more about purification than punishment.
It is pretty much. You do some time, then away you go to try again. If one is inclined to believe in Samsara. Serious bad deeds might earn one a bit of extra fire perhaps.:shrug:
I recall one amusing incident when I was a kid. The RE teacher taught us of hell during school. So naturally I went to ask my family more questions. The way they explained it made it seem more like a time out. So I was quite indifferent to all subsequent RE teachings trying to make hell seem as scary as possible.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is pretty much. You do some time, then away you go to try again. If one is inclined to believe in Samsara. Serious bad deeds might earn one a bit of extra fire perhaps.:shrug:
I recall one amusing incident when I was a kid. The RE teacher taught us of hell during school. So naturally I went to ask my family more questions. The way they explained it made it seem more like a time out. So I was quite indifferent to all subsequent RE teachings trying to make hell seem as scary as possible.
What's RE?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
What's RE?
Religious Education. (Read Christianity.)
I don't personally agree with its continued usage in public schools though. Was more like an interruption. Now world religious studies on the other hand were far more interesting.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Religious Education. (Read Christianity.)
I don't personally agree with its continued usage in public schools though. Was more like an interruption. Now world religious studies on the other hand were far more interesting.
Thanks. Minorities, or in some cases majorities can have a lot of confusion from those classes I'm sure.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. Minorities, or in some cases majorities can have a lot of confusion from those classes I'm sure.
It's more annoying than anything else really.
I once had a history teacher who encouraged us all to bring in notes from home excusing us so she didn't have to lose a lesson leading up to a test. Didn't work. Though she let a lot of bad behaviour slide during said RE class just out of spite lol!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How did you ever get to the point where you think karma is some kind of crazy cosmic scorecard?