• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad karma punishment

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
But I have read that no matter what good you deed you must suffer for bad things you did. And for all bad things you need to suffer.
And you must also be rewarded for all the good things you did...actually, I don't think that's what the concept is...there's a balance...

I'm not positive, but I think you are conflating and confusing the beliefs of different schools of thought, and tending to focus almost exclusively on the bad/negative side, and ignoring the rest...just an observation...

Jumi

A lot of religions have hells. I'd stop worrying about any of them and just be a better person if you're worried that you've been intentionally bad.

Oleh

A lot of religions have hells. I'd stop worrying about any of them and just be a better person if you're worried that you've been intentionally bad.
I cannot proof the hell does not exist. That is why I suffer. I need to know how to avoid it.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
@Oleh -

If you have just started learning about religions, I suspect that you really don't know much about any of them. You might want to tell us a bit about yourself - the traditions you were brought up, what religions you have been exploring and exactly what those explorations have entailed, how detailed they have been.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Hi, I started learning different religions. Unfortunately, I haven't chosen any yet but I always tend to believe the worst. According to Hinduism, if you have bad karma you will be burned in hell. I can't stop to fear. I feel so desperate that I wont to commit suicide. Sorry if this is the wrong topic. Is there any hinduist who can advise me how to survive being burned in hell. I can't live in constant fear of karma punishment. It is not life, it is hell.

hell is a state of mind. fear is its foundation.

those who's cup spills over with love has no need to fear.

In my dream I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows, they learned to swim
Surrounding me, going down on me
Spilling over the brim
Waves of regret and waves of joy
I reached out for the one I tried to destroy
You, you said you'd wait
'Til the end of the world

Last edited:

Oleh

@Oleh -

If you have just started learning about religions, I suspect that you really don't know much about any of them. You might want to tell us a bit about yourself - the traditions you were brought up, what religions you have been exploring and exactly what those explorations have entailed, how detailed they have been.
Probably I have some anxiety disorder. Because instead of believing in good religion I believe and fear of punishments like bad karma or Muslim sharia law. I grew up in Christian country and that is the best religion for me. It teaches to love so much. And sometimes I even feel that God is overwhelmingly loving. But I can't stop being afraid that I will be punished for my sins.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I cannot proof the hell does not exist. That is why I suffer. I need to know how to avoid it.

I suppose you have to trust God to do the right thing. Don't you think you should pay the consequences for whatever it is you did? If there is a God and you end up in hell, that's probably where you belong.

I don't know what happens when you die but I think a person has to stand up and accept the consequences of their actions. If I face God and God decides I go to hell I'll figure that's justice. You can't hide from yourself, you can't hide from God so accept the fate your actions brought you to.

Usually the fear of facing the consequences is worse than the actual consequences themselves. The fear of hell is hell. Why face hell twice?

Oleh

I suppose you have to trust God to do the right thing. Don't you think you should pay the consequences for whatever it is you did? If there is a God and you end up in hell, that's probably where you belong.

I don't know what happens when you die but I think a person has to stand up and accept the consequences of their actions. If I face God and God decides I go to hell I'll figure that's justice. You can't hide from yourself, you can't hide from God so accept the fate your actions brought you to.

Usually the fear of facing the consequences is worse than the actual consequences themselves. The fear of hell is hell. Why face hell twice?
Thanks for your response. But I can't live with that feeling of being doomed to hell. How can you just accept that fact that your skin will be burned in hell?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Probably I have some anxiety disorder. Because instead of believing in good religion I believe and fear of punishments like bad karma or Muslim sharia law. I grew up in Christian country and that is the best religion for me. It teaches to love so much. And sometimes I even feel that God is overwhelmingly loving. But I can't stop being afraid that I will be punished for my sins.
A good start would be to think of someone else, and their situation, rather than your own. I have observed that most people in this state are self-absorbed.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thanks for your response. But I can't live with that feeling of being doomed to hell. How can you just accept that fact that your skin will be burned in hell?
Look, it's not a fact. It's a scare tactic, no different than watching some scary movie. Do you go to a scary movie, and believe that whatever happened on the screen will also happen to you?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I see existence is better than non existence. Whatever the circumstances. People here on earth face unimaginable suffering daily. There is nothing that hell can bring that people better than me haven't faced. Why should I suffer less if it is what I truly deserve?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

if your body is in the earth then how do you have tactile senses?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I dont understant you.
Sorry. Ask a specific question

But I have read that no matter what good you deed you must suffer for bad things you did. And for all bad things you need to suffer.
You're putting an Abrahamic overlay on a religion (?) where it absolutely does not fit.
All this reward and punishment, Heaven and Hell stuff is Abrahamic.

Yes, you'll find all sorts of stories and folklore among the Hindu people -- Gods and devils, heroes and villains, Heavens and Hells, monsters of all sorts. Stop worrying about it. It's all just folklore, like Hansel and Gretel or Red riding Hood; like good Christians turning into angels when they die, playing harps in the sky and being issued wings. It's not serious Hindu theology.

The religions of Abraham are about an all-powerful, judgemental lawmaker, constantly surveilling His creation, sentencing "sinners" -- those who break His rules -- to eternal torment, and "the righteous" to eternal reward. This is Not Hinduism.

Serious Hindu theology -- scholarly Hinduism -- Is metaphysical, it's about consciousness, the nature of Reality and perception, not about rules.
There is no Real heaven or Hell. There are levels of reality and levels of consciousness enabling us to perceive, and "live in" different worlds/realities.
I can discuss this further if you're still interested in going down this strange path.;)

...and quit worrying about everything. You're not in danger. It's all just faerie stories to scare children. This scary life's just a blue-pill illusion.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
You're living in hell right now by the sounds of it.
Hindus (tend to) believe that to be our true selves one has to connect to the ultimate source. But there are stories of "wicked people" going to heaven as it were. I forget the name, but there is a tale where a king endlessly thought about killing an incarnation of God on earth. When he died, he went straight to heaven, for as Vishnu claimed, he always had God on his mind.
Hindus want their existence destroyed, their conciousness to be freed from life itself and absorbed into the universe. Heaven and hell are mere pit stops on the journey. A purification ritual rather than some punishment or indeed reward. Just try not to hurt other people and you'll be fine.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Getting over greed, hatred and delusion is painful. Focus on fixing the greed hatred and delusion within yourself so you don't continue to commit bad deeds.