• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Background Music in Shopping Centres

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
A few days ago, I went out for a burrito at my local shopping centre’s Guzman y Gomez. As is my usual habit after eating there, I took a walk around the shopping centre to pass some time before going home. But one thing that struck me this time around was the noise. By which I mean the constant background music always reverberating around the shopping centre’s halls often clashing with the usually louder music played by each and every store as you pass.

It struck me as odd. Isn’t music meant to be listened to? Yet, who is listening to any of the music played by the stores or the shopping centre? Ask anyone walking about what the previous song played was and I bet you a burrito lunch that almost no one among them could tell you. On the contrary, the music played is not so much to be listened to but to simply exist as background noise.

So what purpose does this background noise serve? I can understand in the individual case of certain stores seeking to instill a particular mood among its patrons but the shopping centre itself has no need to do this. I do not go to the shopping centre for the shopping centre’s sake but because I have business with the stores within that centre. In my case, I wanted a burrito for lunch. This strange need for music to be played at all times extends even beyond shopping centres. Outdoor markets usually have a PA system blasting the same kind of background pop that is forgotten as soon as it is heard. (If you haven’t learnt to drown it out by sheer habit).

What is wrong with relative silence? Why is there a need for perpetual background music? And why is it almost always some kind of pop? Surely if music must be played then soft orchestral music would be the obvious choice. Surely in the case of a Mexican restaurant classical Spanish/Latin American guitar music would be a better choice than loud Spanish language R&B/Hip Hop which can only truly appeal to a fraction of those eating there. If music must be played, then surely it would be better to make it as unobtrusive as possible for the widest group of people.

Frankly, I would rather be left to my thoughts. I do not need to have intrusive pop played to (or rather at) me at every turn. Surely good products and service are more important to a consumer’s experience than the unlistened to music that happens to be in the background at any given time. I'm not saying background music is never appropriate. But its constant endless ubiquity strikes me as bizarre and annoying.

Last edited:

Jumi

I think it's popular music because that gets people in a shopping mood. Less thinking and the songs are probably ones you've heard before so almost never out of the comfort zone.

Some shopping malls, subways and other places uses classical music to deter violence and loitering.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I spoke with someone that worked at a local grocery store about the music. It was much better than the elevator music of many years in the past. Recordings by the real artists rather than uncontroversial instrumental popular music that has every last vestige of soul squeezed out of it. I was told that the music varies during the day to try to match the clientele.

PureX

Veteran Member
Frankly, I would rather be left to my thoughts. I do not need to have intrusive pop played to (or rather at) me at every turn. Surely good products and service are more important to a consumer’s experience than the unlistened to music that happens to be in the background at any given time. I'm not saying background music is never appropriate. But its constant endless ubiquity strikes me as bizarre and annoying.
It's not "music", it's sonic ambiance. It's purpose is to create a perceived environment conducive to buying whatever that particular store is selling. That's why they each want to have their own soundtrack, custom-designed to inspire a strong desire for their particular products.

What they don't want is relative quiet, because that invites thoughtful reflection, which none of the sellers want their customers engaged in. Instead, they want them to feel themselves to be flowing along in a kind of 'pleasant stream of infinite availability'. How nice ... almost like being in heaven! All that stuff, there, just for us! And all those other happy shoppers ... the very fulfillment of desire!

But that flow is best generated in a store that sells designer jeans by one kind of sonic ambiance, whereas in a store that sells office supplies another kind would be more effective. And it's not just the sonic ambiance, it's also deliberately generated smells, and lighting, and floor plan, and display mechanisms, and so on. Believe me, all these aspects of the purchasing experience are being constantly and deeply considered and are being very carefully designed.

Jumi

I spoke with someone that worked at a local grocery store about the music. It was much better than the elevator music of many years in the past. Recordings by the real artists rather than uncontroversial instrumental popular music that has every last vestige of soul squeezed out of it. I was told that the music varies during the day to try to match the clientele.
I have heard much the same. The stores often have tailored playlists. Sometimes the playlist for the same store remains the same by country or state.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't know why to the over done extent you speak of. We can only process so much, and from what you describe I wouldn't be the only one overloaded by it.
Ask anyone walking about what the previous song played was and I bet you a burrito lunch that almost no one among them could tell you.
I will take my burrito lunch! (I often do know the song, though it can be hit-or-miss depending on the store - and I do actually listen)
And why is it almost always some kind of pop?
It's mass manufactured to be the least offense, at least minimally appealing to the most people, and is consistently more upbeat, which is conducive to keeping people in a spending mood.

HonestJoe

So what purpose does this background noise serve? I can understand in the individual case of certain stores seeking to instill a particular mood among its patrons but the shopping centre itself has no need to do this. I do not go to the shopping centre for the shopping centre’s sake but because I have business with the stores within that centre.
It's largely subconscious but can have significant influence of people's behaviour, everything from how fast we walk through to triggering thirst an hunger. Shops and shopping centres have been doing this for decades and there'll be a vast range of research in to the impact.

The shopping centres have the same interests as the individual shops. Their income comes from having successful shops in the centre so they've just as much interest (if not more) in keep people in and shopping.

Frankly, I would rather be left to my thoughts. I do not need to have intrusive pop played to (or rather at) me at every turn.
I agree with you to some extent but I suspect we're not in the core target demographics for those stores. :cool:

Incidentally, I'm writing this with music playing in the background. Make of that what you will.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
A few days ago, I went out for a burrito at my local shopping centre’s Guzman y Gomez. As is my usual habit after eating there, I took a walk around the shopping centre to pass some time before going home. But one thing that struck me this time around was the noise. By which I mean the constant background music always reverberating around the shopping centre’s halls often clashing with the usually louder music played by each and every store as you pass.

It struck me as odd. Isn’t music meant to be listened to? Yet, who is listening to any of the music played by the stores or the shopping centre? Ask anyone walking about what the previous song played was and I bet you a burrito lunch that almost no one among them could tell you. On the contrary, the music played is not so much to be listened to but to simply exist as background noise.

So what purpose does this background noise serve? I can understand in the individual case of certain stores seeking to instill a particular mood among its patrons but the shopping centre itself has no need to do this. I do not go to the shopping centre for the shopping centre’s sake but because I have business with the stores within that centre. In my case, I wanted a burrito for lunch. This strange need for music to be played at all times extends even beyond shopping centres. Outdoor markets usually have a PA system blasting the same kind of background pop that is forgotten as soon as it is heard. (If you haven’t learnt to drown it out by sheer habit).

What is wrong with relative silence? Why is there a need for perpetual background music? And why is it almost always some kind of pop? Surely if music must be played then soft orchestral music would be the obvious choice. Surely in the case of a Mexican restaurant classical Spanish/Latin American guitar music would be a better choice than loud Spanish language R&B/Hip Hop which can only truly appeal to a fraction of those eating there. If music must be played, then surely it would be better to make it as unobtrusive as possible for the widest group of people.

Subliminal messaging. *O]

You....

La la la...

Must......

La..la..la....

Spend......

Da la da....

Spend.....

Bada Bing badda boom!

Spend.....

Kaching!!!!!!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Subliminal messaging.
I am not especially fond of background music.

But it's better than having a little music interjected with advertising. That's one of the reasons I don't like some stores, usually the "big box" kind. A couple minutes of music followed by a minute of telling me what I should buy is much more annoying to me.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

But it's better than having a little music interjected with advertising. That's one of the reasons I don't like some stores, usually the "big box" kind. A couple minutes of music followed by a minute of telling me what I should buy is much more annoying to me.
Tom
Tractor Supply is non-stop country western (if that's the correct term).
I tune it out.
I bet you like it though....you seem the type.
I'll also bet that you wear a cowboy hat & boots.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Tom
I wonder what I'd hear if the music was played backwards?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Tractor Supply is non-stop country western (if that's the correct term).
I tune it out.
I bet you like it though....you seem the type.
I'll also bet that you wear a cowboy hat & boots.
Well,
Now you've been wrong more than twice in a decade.

I did, however, have a pair of cowboy boots that I dearly loved. They were my dancing shoes back in the day. I put 7 sets of heels and 5 soles on those things.

Then my dog chewed one up beyond repair.
Sigh..... The end of an era.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well,
Now you've been wrong more than twice in a decade.

I did, however, have a pair of cowboy boots that I dearly loved. They were my dancing shoes back in the day. I put 7 sets of heels and 5 soles on those things.

Then my dog chewed one up beyond repair.
Sigh..... The end of an era.
Tom
I was far more correcter than I ever expected.
You in cowboy boots.....What will I discover next?
@BSM1 in this shirt....
il_794xN.1805167770_dquc.jpg

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I got them free from a rural Indiana truck stop.
@Shadow Wolf might know it, since it was on the way from Peru to anywhere but Chicago. Hoosier Kitchen and gas.
I bought gas there regularly, because it was on the way to my parents house. One evening, I went to pay and was told that I had won the weekly prize. It was a pair of blue jeans and a red flannel shirt.

But I was 6'4", wearing 30×38 jeans, in my blue oxford shirt and tie from work. They didn't have anything I wanted. So, I pulled a pair of size 11 1/2 boots off the wall and said "How about this?". The sweet old lady running the place was thrilled to get rid of me so easily.

I didn't wear them for a couple of months. But, then I put them on and everyone told me how cool they were. At 6'4", I didn't feel any need for high heels. But I am cheap, so I wore them out somewhere.

Dang, being a 6'6" white guy with money and education is really excellent!
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You in cowboy boots.....What will I discover next?
@BSM1 in this shirt....
il_794xN.1805167770_dquc.jpg

As long as she doesn't expect me to dance. You wouldn't like me dancing. As a matter of fact, I am such a bad dancer that I am banned from dancing in three different countries.