• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back to Before

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
We had an electrical problem the other night, due to an errant feline. My husband was able to fix the problem, but the power had to be shut off while he worked on it. Wasn't a big deal; it was out maybe 15 minutes.

But as he worked, and the rest of us sat in the dark and in... silence... I began to wonder how having access to no, or less, electricity in the future may affect our social habits.

In the wake of the power outages in the US and global climate change in general, this is something that may(or may not) happen at some point. Supposing it does, what do you think will change on a personal level, relating to how we relate to each other? If we cannot run our ACs full blast in the heat of summer anymore, will we be more likely to enjoy sitting outside? Will we talk more with the neighbors? Will we save our often struggling local recreation and visit the pools more?

How about during the winter, when light is low and the temperature cold? If it becomes costly to run the lights, will we go to bed, or start building houses with fireplaces? Will we socialize more with our families if the devices are harder to run?

Will our dressing habits change? I notice in Iowa, it can be 95 degrees, people are still wearing pants and long sleeves because they're running their AC so high, and in the winter, some people are still wearing shorts(I even see sandals sometimes) in over a foot of snow and 20 degree weather because their heaters are so high. How about the foods we consume? Will availability change?

While no one knows really what will come in the future, but sometimes I wonder what the changes will be like if we actually have less technology available on a daily basis, and times look more similar to those of the past...

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
We had an electrical problem the other night, due to an errant feline. My husband was able to fix the problem, but the power had to be shut off while he worked on it. Wasn't a big deal; it was out maybe 15 minutes.

But as he worked, and the rest of us sat in the dark and in... silence... I began to wonder how having access to no, or less, electricity in the future may affect our social habits.

In the wake of the power outages in the US and global climate change in general, this is something that may(or may not) happen at some point. Supposing it does, what do you think will change on a personal level, relating to how we relate to each other? If we cannot run our ACs full blast in the heat of summer anymore, will we be more likely to enjoy sitting outside? Will we talk more with the neighbors? Will we save our often struggling local recreation and visit the pools more?

How about during the winter, when light is low and the temperature cold? If it becomes costly to run the lights, will we go to bed, or start building houses with fireplaces? Will we socialize more with our families if the devices are harder to run?

Will our dressing habits change? I notice in Iowa, it can be 95 degrees, people are still wearing pants and long sleeves because they're running their AC so high, and in the winter, some people are still wearing shorts(I even see sandals sometimes) in over a foot of snow and 20 degree weather because their heaters are so high. How about the foods we consume? Will availability change?

While no one knows really what will come in the future, but sometimes I wonder what the changes will be like if we actually have less technology available on a daily basis, and times look more similar to those of the past...

I imagine that life would become much more local. People would likely, out of necessity really, communicate and cooperate much more with their immediate neighbors. Wood-burning stoves would probably become more common again. People would probably become more "in tune" with the weather. Currently I can go all day at work without stepping foot outside, and I have no clue whether it's hot, cold, rainy, or sunny. That would change in a world without electricity. In some ways, I think it would be a healthy "reset" of our sense of community and interconnectedness. At the same time, I think it would make life much harder for a lot of people, especially in places where the weather is more brutal than here in California.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I imagine that life would become much more local. People would likely, out of necessity really, communicate and cooperate much more with their immediate neighbors. Wood-burning stoves would probably become more common again. People would probably become more "in tune" with the weather. Currently I can go all day at work without stepping foot outside, and I have no clue whether it's hot, cold, rainy, or sunny. That would change in a world without electricity. In some ways, I think it would be a healthy "reset" of our sense of community and interconnectedness. At the same time, I think it would make life much harder for a lot of people, especially in places where the weather is more brutal than here in California.

I wonder if that would cause people to choose to live in different places as well? Right now, in most of the developed world, you can live in whatever region you want and generally not suffer too much. I wonder if people would think twice about where they made 'home' if they would have to deal with the four seasons up close and personal?

I think sound insulation has killed our intuition, too. Our old house was small, and you could hear everything. Without looking out the window, I could tell you the weather and what had gone on with the neighbors that day. Now in my big house, I can't tell you any of that.... The sounds from outside are just too muffled. People seldom open windows anymore, either... due to the previous owners, most of our windows don't open at all. :(

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

Many Amish around where I live. I admire their self-sufficiency! I had dinner at an Amish home a few months ago and it was an wonderful experience. A nice evening - with no electricity.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Many Amish around where I live. I admire their self-sufficiency! I had dinner at an Amish home a few months ago and it was an wonderful experience. A nice evening - with no electricity.

We do, too! I love driving out and visiting their shops. Very reasonably priced!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We live a rural life where power has a habit if failing, sometimes for just a few minutes, sometimes for several hours. Back in the winter if 2018 on cold and wet late afternoon the power went off.

As the night drew in the candles came out (we always keep a few boxes just in case of need).

The central heating went down with the power cut so the wood burner was stoked up.

Also we cook using bottled gas so the cooker was fired up just as a bit of extra heat.

Candles and log fire make a pleasant evening. Then a thought, the old couple across the square have no wood fire and cook with electric. Umbrella up i toddle across and knock on their door. They were considering going to bed but came back to our place.

Just settled down with a hot drink to warm them up there comes a knock on the door. Friends from down by the river. "We are just coming home from a few days away and saw your smoke, do you mind sharing your fire"

They had a couple if pizzas they were intending to cook once home for a quick evening meal.

We spent the evening and night, all 12 of us in the end in a cozy bunch chatting and making the best of the situation with a couple of slices of pizza and some oven chips (fries) each until 1am when the power came back on.

Only a short power loss compared to that suggested in the OP but i think it shows that people (many people at least) would pull together and make the most of such a situation.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
We live a rural life where power has a habit if failing, sometimes for just a few minutes, sometimes for several hours. Back in the winter if 2018 on cold and wet late afternoon the power went off.

As the night drew in the candles came out (we always keep a few boxes just in case of need).

The central heating went down with the power cut so the wood burner was stoked up.

Also we cook using bottled gas so the cooker was fired up just as a bit of extra heat.

Candles and log fire make a pleasant evening. Then a thought, the old couple across the square have no wood fire and cook with electric. Umbrella up i toddle across and knock on their door. They were considering going to bed but came back to our place.

Just settled down with a hot drink to warm them up there comes a knock on the door. Friends from down by the river. "We are just coming home from a few days away and saw your smoke, do you mind sharing your fire"

They had a couple if pizzas they were intending to cook once home for a quick evening meal.

We spent the evening and night, all 12 of us in the end in a cozy bunch chatting and making the best of the situation with a couple of slices of pizza and some oven chips (fries) each until 1am when the power came back on.

Only a short power loss compared to that suggested in the OP but i think it shows that people (many people at least) would pull together and make the most of such a situation.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I'd be willing to kick the power every now and then for an experience like this. :)