• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back Off Boogaloo

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But I guess this is a completely different Boogaloo...

What is the 'boogaloo'? How online calls for a violent uprising are hitting the mainstream

An anti-government movement that advocates for a violent uprising targeting liberal political opponents and law enforcement has moved from the fringes of the internet into the mainstream and surged on social media in recent months, according to a group of researchers that tracks hate groups.

The movement, which says it wants a second Civil War organized around the term "boogaloo," includes groups on mainstream internet platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Reddit, as well as fringe websites including 4chan, according to a report released Tuesday night by the Network Contagion Research Institute (NCRI), an independent nonprofit of scientists and engineers that tracks and reports on misinformation and hate speech across social media.

I haven't heard of this particular usage of "boogaloo" until now. But this is apparently worrying some officials, since it doesn't seem quite so silly as the name would imply.

The report comes as U.S. law enforcement officials and researchers at various levels have issued warnings about the growing threat posed by domestic extremists motivated by fringe ideologies and conspiracy theories. NCRI director Joel Finkelstein, a research scholar at the James Madison Program at Princeton University, said the report had been sent to members of Congress and the departments of Defense, Homeland Security and Justice, among others.

Paul Goldenberg, a member of the Homeland Security Advisory Council, said the report was "a wake-up call."

"When you have people talking about and planning sedition and violence against minorities, police and public officials, we need to take their words seriously," said Goldenberg, who is also CEO of the security consulting company Cardinal Point Strategies.

Apparently, it's a reference to a movie from 1984 which I never saw or had any interest in.

The current boogaloo movement was first noticed by extremism researchers in 2019, when fringe groups from gun rights and militia movements to white supremacists began referring to an impending civil war using the word "boogaloo," a joking reference to "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo," a 1984 sequel movie about breakdancing.

Much like the OK hand symbol co-opted by white nationalists who later denied the association, the ambiguity of the term "boogaloo" works to cloak extremist organizing in the open.

"Like a virus hiding from the immune system, the use of comical-meme language permits the network to organize violence secretly behind a mirage of inside jokes and plausible deniability," the report states.

The term "boogaloo" has also been seen in real-world activism. At the Virginia Citizens Defense League's annual Lobby Day in Richmond in January, a group of protesters who go by the name Patriot Wave wore Pepe the Frog patches emblazoned with "Boogaloo Boys." One man carried a sign that read, "I have a dream of a Boogaloo." The rally was held on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

But I guess they're not dreaming of these Boogaloos:

cDj0IL42AOi7WJyNs3awLWiBRDyuj3hjzWrG9SImfmHDjZdPJ5aJbrBx-QHJkw_LPoRgeJy20o5LV2u9Gt4IfHprWxPl9SWIn7-SdOcKAObbcTwkyVET

Nor are they even thinking of this song:

Setting aside the issue of politics or the actual seriousness about what is being advocated, some of this just seems so silly. It's like the world is going to be destroyed by the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The media needs to take this newest Trump inspired threat very seriously, he has embolden far- right lunatics so much that they are openly calling for revolution on public social media platforms.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The media needs to take this newest Trump inspired threat very seriously, he has embolden far- right lunatics so much that they are openly calling for revolution on public social media platforms.
Let me know when Putin starts caring, because until then it won't matter.
He'll still call the shots in US politics.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
All the babushkas want Bernie to grab them by their p******
This could be really interesting.....
The anti-Trumplers have railed against him as a Putin puppet.
This was because of Putin's apparent support. But now he
supports Bernie. If Bernie becomes Prez, will they label him
a Russkie agent too?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

My favorite will always be.....

Excuse me I got to go find a musket, and dig up George Washington so I can resurrect him.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
This could be really interesting.....
The anti-Trumplers have railed against him as a Putin puppet.
This was because of Putin's apparent support. But now he
supports Bernie. If Bernie becomes Prez, will they label him
a Russkie agent too?

I do it as a joke but what I find more humorous is that some that backed Sanders in the beginning now want Bloomberg to get rid of him. Yes, the same billionaire that called Bernies stances communist.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
We need to be ready when Bernie Sanders wins this November.

If he does we can blame it on the Russians and demand an investigation, then if nothing turns up and facts don't support the claim we can still say he is Putins puppet but that would just be stupid and irrational.

Bernie said the Russians need to "stay out" of our elections, what better cover than to pretend you don't want Russian help when you really do? It's a bit like the Devils greatest trick!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
We need to be ready when Bernie Sanders wins this November.
Ready for what?

Sanders will get smashed faster than Carter or Obama did.

Get ready for the billionaires to step up the looting of American capital, and the problems that will cause. Also, get ready for a big ramp up of fossil fuel usage.

While Comrade Sanders is trying to pay for college tuition, but not getting it done, Exxon-Mobil will keep getting the corporate welfare that makes possible seven figure bonuses to their top execs and lobbyists. Because Sanders has no support in either party. But Exxon-Mobil has solid support in both.

That's one of the big reasons that referring to Hillary Clinton as a "leftist" is so ridiculous. She isn't and never was. She's a rightist, just a little more centrist than the TeaParty.
But not much.
Sanders is a bit more to the left. By USA standards that makes him a Communist, no more electable than a running dog capitalist in Maoist China.
Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If he does we can blame it on the Russians and demand an investigation, then if nothing turns up and facts don't support the claim we can still say he is Putins puppet but that would just be stupid and irrational.

Bernie said the Russians need to "stay out" of our elections, what better cover than to pretend you don't want Russian help when you really do? It's a bit like the Devils greatest trick!
And Trump is the master of it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do it as a joke but what I find more humorous is that some that backed Sanders in the beginning now want Bloomberg to get rid of him. Yes, the same billionaire that called Bernies stances communist.
It is fascinating to watch.