• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back, after a long, LONG break.

UsiresAedon

Professional Listener
Hello, Religious Forums!

My name is Aaron, and I used to be a part of this community many years ago. After a long hiatus, I felt as though I could get (and give) a lot out of reconnecting with all of you.

I recently turned thirty, and have finally settled into a rewarding career. I work in mental health crisis intervention, and getting paid to help my fellow man invokes a feeling that is so positive, it is difficult to describe.

I was born and raised into a hyper-religious Catholic family. I am by no means Catholic myself, but there are certain positives that came out of my religious upbringing. During my younger days, I used to be staunchly atheistic. In those days, I believed everything had a scientific explanation; chemistry, physics, and a small dose of arrogance was my Holy Trinity.

As I got older, I was involved in several experiences that really shook this worldview to its core. For me to elaborate, it would require a very lengthy forum post (which I intend to do eventually), but for now all I will say is that I finally came to accept that not all things in the world around us are knowable. I went from atheist, to agnostic, to agnostic-theist. This change did not happen overnight, but was a slow, gradual process.

In terms of theology itself, it is a topic that interests me greatly. When it comes to religion, however, I tend to study it more from a cultural and social point of view. A few years ago, I discovered Unitarian Universalism, and found that this "religion of religions" was quite compatible with myself on both a spiritual and intellectual level.

I could go on and on and on about my personal life, but I don't want to make this post any longer than it needs to be. However, I am a pretty open person, so if anyone has any questions for me, or if you feel as though my own experiences can be beneficial to you, please feel free to send me a DM/post reply and I would be happy to have a conversation with you.

Take care, and thank you for taking the time to read what I have to say. It's usually a lot!

UsiresAedon

Professional Listener
how about? argument/logic whatever.....point of view
Let me put it this way: I am not concerned with the "thou shalls" and the "thou shall nots," though I respect other people's adherence to them. I tend to also view the gods, deities, higher powers, etc. as different perspectives in and of theology as a whole. However, I am also very much interested into understanding the religious history, philosophical viewpoints of the old prophets/founders, and the "how" and "why" they are beneficial to mankind.

Welcome back! I hope you enjoy your second go here. :)
Thank you. Everything is different, yet everything is the same. Such is life.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Let me put it this way: I am not concerned with the "thou shalls" and the "thou shall nots," though I respect other people's adherence to them. I tend to also view the gods, deities, higher powers, etc. as different perspectives in and of theology as a whole. However, I am also very much interested into understanding the religious history, philosophical viewpoints of the old prophets/founders, and the "how" and "why" they are beneficial to mankind.
you can find me in the debate section most of the time

I like the questions.....
Who told you that?!
and
Why?! did you believe it

UsiresAedon

Professional Listener
you can find me in the debate section most of the time

I like the questions.....
Who told you that?!
and
Why?! did you believe it

Those are definitely two very important and interesting questions to ask others, as well as oneself. When I was younger, I very much reveled in the thrill and excitement of debating and getting my point across. It is not easy to do on the internet, so my hat is off to you, sir.

However, I find myself not debating my point as much anymore. I used to believe, in a very black and white style of thinking, that for a person to be right, the other person must also be wrong. After a very long time to think and reflect on this worldview, I realized that it did not work for me. I am not saying that it is inherently "wrong" to think this way, because in doing so I would go back to my old way of thinking! However, the point I am trying to make, is after many years of debating religion, I find it to be less beneficial to myself and others. These days, instead of debating religion, I prefer to understand it. Understand it on a very deep level. And, perhaps more importantly, understand the people that participate in it.

amorphous_constellation

I tend to also view the gods, deities, higher powers, etc. as different perspectives in and of theology as a whole.

So would you describe gods as being fallible, as in general opposition to that view, monism tends to place god's perspective as being the supreme one. If you think there are a diffusion of god-born perspectives, that might be more sympathetic to some kind of polytheism. If there is a subjective or flawed element to god(s), that seems to hinge on their ability to exist in multiplicity, no matter what they claim in their revelations through man

UsiresAedon

Professional Listener
So would you describe gods as being fallible, as in general opposition to that view, monism tends to place god's perspective as being the supreme one. If you think there are a diffusion of god-born perspectives, that might be more sympathetic to some kind of polytheism. If there is a subjective or flawed element to god(s), that seems to hinge on their ability to exist in multiplicity, no matter what they claim in their revelations through man

All very thought-provoking points!

To answer your questions, I view every human perspective of god(s) to be flawed. I would tend to think that as an agnostic-theist, every kind of theism is equally plausible, perhaps not even mutually exclusive of each other. "God-born perspectives" are unknowable, at least in my view, so I make zero speculation as to whether or not a higher power (or powers) are fallible or infallible. Thus, any such human perspective on theism is unequivocally pointless. If a higher power or powers are truly unknowable and incomprehensible, then it becomes very easy to disregard the world religions on a theological level. However, they are still worth studying and understanding, because they have a direct correlation to society as a whole.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello, Religious Forums!

My name is Aaron, and I used to be a part of this community many years ago. After a long hiatus, I felt as though I could get (and give) a lot out of reconnecting with all of you.

I recently turned thirty, and have finally settled into a rewarding career. I work in mental health crisis intervention, and getting paid to help my fellow man invokes a feeling that is so positive, it is difficult to describe.

I was born and raised into a hyper-religious Catholic family. I am by no means Catholic myself, but there are certain positives that came out of my religious upbringing. During my younger days, I used to be staunchly atheistic. In those days, I believed everything had a scientific explanation; chemistry, physics, and a small dose of arrogance was my Holy Trinity.

As I got older, I was involved in several experiences that really shook this worldview to its core. For me to elaborate, it would require a very lengthy forum post (which I intend to do eventually), but for now all I will say is that I finally came to accept that not all things in the world around us are knowable. I went from atheist, to agnostic, to agnostic-theist. This change did not happen overnight, but was a slow, gradual process.

In terms of theology itself, it is a topic that interests me greatly. When it comes to religion, however, I tend to study it more from a cultural and social point of view. A few years ago, I discovered Unitarian Universalism, and found that this "religion of religions" was quite compatible with myself on both a spiritual and intellectual level.

I could go on and on and on about my personal life, but I don't want to make this post any longer than it needs to be. However, I am a pretty open person, so if anyone has any questions for me, or if you feel as though my own experiences can be beneficial to you, please feel free to send me a DM/post reply and I would be happy to have a conversation with you.

Take care, and thank you for taking the time to read what I have to say. It's usually a lot!

Aside from the usual greeting and welcome back, I also just wanted to say thank you so much for working in mental health care! I've worked in the field as well, and I know what challenging but rewarding work it can be. Look forward to chatting with you in the future. :)

UsiresAedon

Professional Listener
Aside from the usual greeting and welcome back, I also just wanted to say thank you so much for working in mental health care! I've worked in the field as well, and I know what challenging but rewarding work it can be. Look forward to chatting with you in the future. :)
Thank you very much. My mother has very severe, debilitating schizoaffective disorder, so I have very personal connections to this line of work as well. As an only child, it was my responsibility from a very young age to assist her with her illness however a young child could.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you very much. My mother has very severe, debilitating schizoaffective disorder, so I have very personal connections to this line of work as well. As an only child, it was my responsibility from a very young age to assist her with her illness however a young child could.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, schizoaffective disorder can be a monumental challenge I know. I'm glad she has a loving son like you to look after her. :purpleheart:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Hello, Religious Forums!

Welcome back. How long ago were you here? What was your username?

Do you have a big picture in your worldview?

You sound like you have the perfect job......nothing beats first hand experience. It creates a kind of empathy that can’t be sourced any other way.

UsiresAedon

Professional Listener
Welcome back. How long ago were you here? What was your username?

Do you have a big picture in your worldview?

You sound like you have the perfect job......nothing beats first hand experience. It creates a kind of empathy that can’t be sourced any other way.
I was a member back in like 2010 or 2011. It was during my days as an atheist. Looking back, I realize now that I had to get a lot of baggage off of my chest, and found comfort in "religion bashing." That's not to say that I have anything against atheists or even folks that have a strong admonition for religion in general. To be honest, I do not even remember my username exactly. Something along the lines of "godless heathen" or something like that.

My "big picture" world view really comes down to three key points:

-There must be a purpose or structure to the universe

-This purpose, meaning, structure, or "higher power" must be unknowable and incomprehensible to human beings

-As human beings, we must still strive to comprehend and understand it

And my job is more or less the "perfect job," with the only caveat being that I am grossly underpaid for what I do. Funding for mental health services is always... less than fair. However, money is not what truly makes me happy, and I make enough to support myself and survive on this planet.

I was once homeless for a few years, and I have been through extreme economic hardship. I have worked a lot of very hard jobs in my life. I know other people have had it worse than I have, so I won't say I "deserve" to be where I am today. But I will say that good karma does pay off; it has certainly paid off at least for me.

Laika

Premium Member
Hello, Religious Forums!

Welcome back to Religious Forums. You sound like the kind of thoughtful and emotionally sensitive person that belongs here. I hope you will enjoy being back. :)

UsiresAedon

Professional Listener
Welcome back to Religious Forums. You sound like the kind of thoughtful and emotionally sensitive person that belongs here. I hope you will enjoy being back. :)
Like everyone else on this green Earth, I try my best. It took a lot for me to become the person I am today. I have done things I am not proud of. But it just goes to show, that sooner or later everyone finds themselves. Thank you for the compliment, by the way. If there are a lot of folks just like you here, I will indeed feel right at home.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
My "big picture" world view really comes down to three key points:

-There must be a purpose or structure to the universe

I agree. We are designed to seek that purpose and find our place in it.

-This purpose, meaning, structure, or "higher power" must be unknowable and incomprehensible to human beings

Yet I believe that to understand creation is to know its Creator. He reveals many facets to his personality in what he has made.

-As human beings, we must still strive to comprehend and understand it

I don't think it's logical that the Creator would reveal so much about himself, not only in creation but also in his written communication with his intelligent caretakers, if he was incomprehensible or his purpose in our being was hidden.
I have a very clear picture from many years of study and first hand experience.

And my job is more or less the "perfect job," with the only caveat being that I am grossly underpaid for what I do. Funding for mental health services is always... less than fair. However, money is not what truly makes me happy, and I make enough to support myself and survive on this planet.

These days, mental health problems are epidemic. We need more people like you who understand that those afflicted with mental illness need to feel accepted, loved and supported. The medical profession can only do so much....medication helps, but it doesn't cure them. Aged care and mental health both seem to suffer from gross funding shortages. It's a shame that the governments don't spend as much on saving people as they do on weapons to kill them.

I was once homeless for a few years, and I have been through extreme economic hardship. I have worked a lot of very hard jobs in my life. I know other people have had it worse than I have, so I won't say I "deserve" to be where I am today. But I will say that good karma does pay off; it has certainly paid off at least for me.

Maturing into adulthood is a tough road for many, but the "school of hard knocks" also produces some fine graduates. I am glad you found your niche.

UsiresAedon

Professional Listener
These days, mental health problems are epidemic. We need more people like you who understand that those afflicted with mental illness need to feel accepted, loved and supported. The medical profession can only do so much....medication helps, but it doesn't cure them. Aged care and mental health both seem to suffer from gross funding shortages. It's a shame that the governments don't spend as much on saving people as they do on weapons to kill them.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything said here. I agree that not all mental illness stems from chemical imbalances in the brain, or is cured by medications. Sure, western medicine has plenty of practical uses, but it does not do a good job of healing the human soul.

Thank you for sharing your beliefs with me. They certainly do fall in line with traditional Christian thinking. I think in many ways we are on the same page, the only real difference is a disagreement on whether or not "god" truly communicates with us. I've found plenty of wisdom in the Good Book, both OT and NT, but in my years studying it, I've always found the whole "man was created in God's image" concept to be very paradoxical.

That being said, I am interested in learning more about Christianity while I am here. Despite being born and raised in a Catholic family, and reading the Bible quite a few times, there is undoubtedly much more that I can learn from folks that are more knowledgeable in it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Re-greetings!
Join us for the daily free RF breakfast....
th