• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awful devs everyone seems to constantly forgive?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
(Perhaps this belies the type of gaming circles I run in, but I swear this always seems to happen.)
So, there seems to be something of a running joke that Bethesda will constantly screw up and that's somehow either endearing or to be expected. The dufflebag controversy. Accidentally leaking private info of customers. But mostly their games and their bugs. The bugs are either just "part of the charm" of a Bethesda game or amusing blunders from a company that usually has otherwise solid games or at least allows people to mod willy nilly. That was just Bethesda being Bethesda and everyone gives an exaggerated sigh, an eye roll with their hands on their hips and just accepts it.
But why?
Any other AAA gaming company releases a buggy mess and gamers immediately begin sharpening their pitchforks.
But I suppose, there is something to the gaming scene where you just end up forgiving devs for shady practices. Which could point to a broken industry so corrupt that the customers have given up and try to work around their ****ty practices.

Rockstar are a company constantly in litigation, their gameplay mechanics are arguably outdated and allegedly a horrible company to work for.
But they have a dedicated following who do admit that they have **** practices, are still willing to bat for them nonetheless.
Ubisoft are constantly bashed for their shady underhanded practices and yet everyone always seems eager to buy the newest Assassin's Creed game.
Valve are often in copyright disputes. But people are still begging them for Half Life 3 and lovingly meme-ing Portal games to this day.
The only AAA dev that even the most forgiving of players universally despise seem to be EA. Sure they still make their money, but they are for all intents and purposes the Death Eaters of the gaming community. Not even sports games fans seem particularly eager to halfheartedly defend their practices. (To be fair, exploiting gambling law loopholes and even flaunting some county's laws whilst targeting children with said underhanded tactics is pretty unforgivable.)

Has the industry just gotten away with too much?
Which are your favorite underhanded developers?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't understand why this has become such a spectacle. I've never watched anything E3, but I did a bit this year to see what direction a few games I like are going. That stage?! Dear gods. Talk about spectacle overkill. Perhaps folks are just taking all this far too seriously? Given that folks do take this stuff far too seriously, is it any surprise that even minor slip ups lead to overblown reactions and rage?

I don't get it.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Too many hours of fast-twitch games isn't healthy.

(play Go instead, it's healthy and the prize money is better.)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Unless you learned young, there isn't much chance to professionally excel, similarly to chess.

It's an interesting point. I wonder how many gamers make "a little money" and how many can make a living and how many can get rich?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
(Perhaps this belies the type of gaming circles I run in, but I swear this always seems to happen.)
So, there seems to be something of a running joke that Bethesda will constantly screw up and that's somehow either endearing or to be expected. The dufflebag controversy. Accidentally leaking private info of customers. But mostly their games and their bugs. The bugs are either just "part of the charm" of a Bethesda game or amusing blunders from a company that usually has otherwise solid games or at least allows people to mod willy nilly. That was just Bethesda being Bethesda and everyone gives an exaggerated sigh, an eye roll with their hands on their hips and just accepts it.
But why?
Any other AAA gaming company releases a buggy mess and gamers immediately begin sharpening their pitchforks.
But I suppose, there is something to the gaming scene where you just end up forgiving devs for shady practices. Which could point to a broken industry so corrupt that the customers have given up and try to work around their ****ty practices.

Rockstar are a company constantly in litigation, their gameplay mechanics are arguably outdated and allegedly a horrible company to work for.
But they have a dedicated following who do admit that they have **** practices, are still willing to bat for them nonetheless.
Ubisoft are constantly bashed for their shady underhanded practices and yet everyone always seems eager to buy the newest Assassin's Creed game.
Valve are often in copyright disputes. But people are still begging them for Half Life 3 and lovingly meme-ing Portal games to this day.
The only AAA dev that even the most forgiving of players universally despise seem to be EA. Sure they still make their money, but they are for all intents and purposes the Death Eaters of the gaming community. Not even sports games fans seem particularly eager to halfheartedly defend their practices. (To be fair, exploiting gambling law loopholes and even flaunting some county's laws whilst targeting children with said underhanded tactics is pretty unforgivable.)

Has the industry just gotten away with too much?
Which are your favorite underhanded developers?
Oh man don't get me on a rant!!! *Grin*

The major ones in my Book are Electronic Arts and Activision.

Take a look at some of the patents they have taken out to manipulate gamers and aggressively capitalizing on people's wallets .

It's ultimately depressing to see how far those companies will go now to take extreme advantage of milking a players wallet. It's pretty much a racket now, with gambling not being the least of it.

Last edited: