• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awareness/Consciousness

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
Without awareness/consciousness would anything exist?

pexels-hamid-tajik-4956618.jpg
Photo by Hamid Tajik from Pexels

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Without awareness/consciousness would anything exist?
Assuming a cause/result situation, yes; however that raises the question of what causes existence. On the other hand assuming consciousness and matter are part of the same continuum then its either both or neither.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The universe is about 13.7 billion years old. The Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. The only conscious beings we know about have been on Earth and are much more recent (depending on definition, at most 700 million years old and likely much less).

So, yes, the universe existed and functioned perfectly well before there was any conscious being.

RestlessSoul

Yes, the universe would get along fine without conscious organisms to be aware of it. It did so for quite a long time in fact.

Do you think consciousness is simply a tool for survival, a function of evolution? Or does it serve a higher purpose, and if so, what is that purpose?

Further, was consciousness inevitable, from the moment of the big bang?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Do you think consciousness is simply a tool for survival, a function of evolution? Or does it serve a higher purpose, and if so, what is that purpose?

I think what we call consciousness is a special, highly developed, case of the awareness of their environment that all organisms have, to some degree, and that it therefore started out at least as part of the toolkit for evolutionary success.

I certainly do not think consciousness can be seen as inevitable from the start, though it may always have been likely, given that the values of the fundamental constants make large molecules possible, in certain regimes.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

I think of consciousness as an evolutionary spandrel: It is a side effect of the processing that is used for survival, but not directly necessary for survival, at least at first.

There doesn't appear to be any 'higher purpose' for consciousness, especially since consciousness appears to be required for there to be a purpose.

I'm not sure how to interpret the term 'inevitable' when it comes to an apparently unique event like the Big Bang.

RestlessSoul

I think of consciousness as an evolutionary spandrel: It is a side effect of the processing that is used for survival, but not directly necessary for survival, at least at first.

There doesn't appear to be any 'higher purpose' for consciousness, especially since consciousness appears to be required for there to be a purpose.

I'm not sure how to interpret the term 'inevitable' when it comes to an apparently unique event like the Big Bang.

Seems to me, either everything happens for a reason, or nothing does. But even if the universe is evolving as a completely random and undirected sequence of phenomena, still there is an infinitely complex, precise pattern. A sacred geometry, as it were; and doesn't a pattern suggest a plan, and a plan a purpose?