• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awakening fueled by rage

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hope you are all well and enjoying the forum.

Here's a little something from my InBox recently -

As a dharma teacher, says Zenju Earthlyn Manuel, she’s told she shouldn’t feel or express rage. She disagrees and reveals how rage can be “life-giving and illuminating” and help “fuel a transformation toward awakening.”

Since becoming a transmitted dharma teacher, others’ preoccupation with blackness—specifically, my blackness—has been nearly inescapable. I have been told by students and teachers of all races that my purpose is to speak and act against racial injustice. And I am to do this with the mahasangha looking on, feeling relief at having accomplished the diversity agenda. My black skin has been a desired commodity in some corners as an obvious marker of diversity, as if diversity is not a complete cosmology of the entire universe.

Awakening Fueled by Rage

Loads more at that site!

Enjoy your day!

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Hope you are all well and enjoying the forum.

Here's a little something from my InBox recently -

As a dharma teacher, says Zenju Earthlyn Manuel, she’s told she shouldn’t feel or express rage. She disagrees and reveals how rage can be “life-giving and illuminating” and help “fuel a transformation toward awakening.”

Since becoming a transmitted dharma teacher, others’ preoccupation with blackness—specifically, my blackness—has been nearly inescapable. I have been told by students and teachers of all races that my purpose is to speak and act against racial injustice. And I am to do this with the mahasangha looking on, feeling relief at having accomplished the diversity agenda. My black skin has been a desired commodity in some corners as an obvious marker of diversity, as if diversity is not a complete cosmology of the entire universe.

Awakening Fueled by Rage

Loads more at that site!

Enjoy your day!

I've actually heard a dharma talk from her in person before. She was so humble, funny, authentic, and wise. Thanks for sharing. :blueheart:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sure, there will be rage before awakening but not after that. :D
Daikokuten, Mahakala, Bhairava, Bhairavi, Kali.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I did some simple Kali worship using black candles but I realized that the funny thing is: When lit, even a black candle emits bright light.

Yazata

I don't purport to be a dharma teacher, but I'm very inclined to think that rage isn't a healthy thing spiritually or psychologically. Certainly not from a Buddhist perspective.

Rage seems to be driven by suffering in sort of a fight-or-flight reaction. It's fundamentally motivated by a felt need to protect the self. It too easily eventuates in even greater suffering in the raging one and often in a desire for others to suffer as well.

The early Pali Buddhist tradition holds that the Buddha said (in rather free translation) --

"Where is anger from one free of anger, who by his mind tamed and equanimous, who is liberated with right understanding, who is tranquil? One worsens matters by flaring up at another who flared up. Whoever doesn't flare up at another doubly wins a battle difficult to win, benefiting oneself and the other."

Akkosa sutta SN 7.2

Akkosa Sutta: Insult

It's difficult and it takes a lot of inner work.

Last edited: