• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avi's Spiritual and Religious Journey

Akivah

Yes, we have different beliefs. Each of our beliefs is most logical to us.

Wikipedia has a bunch of different definitions for singularity, all of which, in this context, look to me as defining a moment when the infinite meets the finite.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Yes, we have different beliefs. Each of our beliefs is most logical to us.

Wikipedia has a bunch of different definitions for singularity, all of which, in this context, look to me as defining a moment when the infinite meets the finite.

In my view, a singularity is a mathematical condition. Remember when we studied fractions. When the denominator approaches zero, the value of the fraction blows up, to infinity.

Likewise, when all the mass in the universe is compressed down to approach zero volume, the density approaches infinity. The singularity then explodes to form a real universe.

We don't know how many times this happened, or whether the mass entered our universe from another universe.

We also don't know why the universe was created. Nor do we know how the universe was created. But recent evidence indicates that the universe may have been created by itself, without the need for a "creator". This process can be visualized as a self assembly process, not unlike oil/water separation in salad dressing. Anyone hungry ? :)

Last edited:

Akivah

In my view, a singularity is a mathematical condition. Remember when we studied fractions. When the denominator approaches zero, the value of the fraction blows up, to infinity.

Likewise, when all the mass in the universe is compressed down to approach zero volume, the density approaches infinity. The singularity then explodes to form a real universe.

Any in-depth discussions of infinity are ultimately useless. As finite humans, it is impossible for us to fully understand it. We just can't wrap our heads around things which are paradoxes to us.

We don't know how many times this happened, or whether the mass entered our universe from another universe.

We also don't know why the universe was created. Nor do we know how the universe was created.

I can't think of a reason, to care. So what? All that matters is the reality that we've got for the short time that we have to live it.

The bible isn't a science book. G-d tells us a brief synopsis of His Creation. More than that, we don't need. It doesn't help to elevate ourselves or to bring more holiness into the world.

But recent evidence ...

And the next recent evidence to come will contradict that. You can't find G-d in a test tube, science only looks at physical things.

Avi1001

Any in-depth discussions of infinity are ultimately useless. As finite humans, it is impossible for us to fully understand it. We just can't wrap our heads around things which are paradoxes to us.

In depth discussions of infinity are enlightening. The entire history of science and engineering is about solving paradoxes. Early man thought that wind was caused by swaying of the trees. It is often about distinguishing cause and effect.

I can't think of a reason, to care. So what? All that matters is the reality that we've got for the short time that we have to live it.

You don't care ? Why are you here speaking to us if you don't care ?

The bible isn't a science book. G-d tells us a brief synopsis of His Creation. More than that, we don't need. It doesn't help to elevate ourselves or to bring more holiness into the world.

You seem like a good guy to me Akivah. But you are much more literalist than I. G-d's message comes to us in the form of how we relate to other wo/men and our environment. G-d does not tell us about creation. We are learning about creation through logical deduction and induction. Any other way doesn't work, it will fail.

And the next recent evidence to come will contradict that. You can't find G-d in a test tube, science only looks at physical things.

Life and learning is a long term search. We must often fail many times before succeeding. Those that understand science know this and have realistic expectations.

Thank you for joining me on my search. I hope we can learn from each other. Do you know I was born a Conservative Jew and switched to reform about 20 years ago ?

Last edited:

Avi1001

Hi All, I have a question about treatment of visitors to your home and in analogy, this sub-forum.

When Abraham had the 3 angels visit him in his tent did he tell them they were only allowed to ask respectful questions ? Did he say, they cannot make any statements ?

In analogy, is it ethical to treat visitors to this DIR in that manner ? I propose the rules be changed in accordance with Jewish precedent in this manner.

Last edited:

Flankerl

In analogy, is it ethical to treat visitors to this DIR in that manner ? I propose the rules be changed in accordance with Jewish precedent in this manner.

Why doesnt it surprise me that its you who proposes to strip away the safeguard of this subforum where i dont have to read all the christian and muslim missionary bullcrap.

They can proclaim their love for their Hercules v2 and arab prophet pretty much everywhere else. But obviously this is not enough.

You know i regard this DIR pretty much as a house. And i dont welcome people into my house that only want to proselytize. Which is why this is a blue subforum and not a green one.

Though iam really surprised that you waited so long to make this an issue.

Avi1001

Why doesnt it surprise me that its you who proposes to strip away the safeguard of this subforum where i dont have to read all the christian and muslim missionary bullcrap.

I guess you meant that as a compliment, no ? ;)

You know i regard this DIR pretty much as a house. And i dont welcome people into my house that only want to proselytize. Which is why this is a blue subforum and not a green one.

Maybe we should go green for a while. Are you on-board ? I would like to see more diversity of opinion here in the DIR.

Though iam really surprised that you waited so long to make this an issue.
Sorry it took me so long. Are there other changes you can think of that would make the place more fun ?

Also, you didn't answer my question, when you have visitors to your house, do you only let them ask questions ?

By the way, Flankie, although we often disagree, I usually like your posts. Especially when you stick your finger in the eye of Americans who discuss anti-semitism in Europe !

Last edited by a moderator:

Flankerl

Perheps you should read up on the difference between blue and green DIRs.
Questions were never the problem.

Maybe we should go green for a while. Are you on-board ? I would like to see more diversity of opinion here in the DIR.

This is the Judaism DIR which is for the religion called Judaism and not other religions. So no iam not on board.

Also just to mention it, also i've been always against threads regarding the State of Israel in this DIR.

Judaism DIR for Judaism. Pretty simple.

Also, you didn't answer my question, when you have visitors to your house, do you only let them ask questions ?

"And i dont welcome people into my house that only want to proselytize."

Last edited by a moderator:

Avi1001

Perheps you should read up on the difference between blue and green DIRs.
Questions were never the problem.
:D I know the rules.

This is the Judaism DIR which is for the religion called Judaism and not other religions. So no iam not on board.
This generalization means nothing.

Also just to mention it, also i've been always against threads regarding the State of Israel in this DIR.
Again, you are oversimplifying. If the thread is political, I agree. If it relates to religion or philosophy, it is fine.

Judaism DIR for Judaism. Pretty simple.
"And i dont welcome people into my house that only want to proselytize."

It seems you don't welcome people into your house unless they only ask respectful questions. :facepalm:

CMike

Hi All, I have a question about treatment of visitors to your home and in analogy, this sub-forum.

When Abraham had the 3 angels visit him in his tent did he tell them they were only allowed to ask respectful questions ? Did he say, they cannot make any statements ?

I do not concur.

Flankerl

This generalization means nothing.

Thats no generalisation.
" -For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored blue, non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions, and are not allowed to make any non-question posts."

Which means that the Judaism DIR is for threads and posts regarding Judaism.

Quite simple.

Again, you are oversimplifying. If the thread is political, I agree. If it relates to religion or philosophy, it is fine.

lol a thread about the State of Israel that isnt about politics. Thats funny.

It seems you don't welcome people into your house unless they only ask respectful questions. :facepalm:

I have yet to invite a hostile person into my house that seeks to proselytize me.
But hey everyone got a hobby.

CMike

Why not ?
Because I think it's nice to have a place where jews can be jews without the christian point of view. The christians have a directory of their own for that purpose as well.

There is also the general religious debate forum for anyone to have input.

CMike

Thats no generalisation.
" -For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored blue, non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions, and are not allowed to make any non-question posts."

Which means that the Judaism DIR is for threads and posts regarding Judaism.

Quite simple.

lol a thread about the State of Israel that isnt about politics. Thats funny.

I have yet to invite a hostile person into my house that seeks to proselytize me.
But hey everyone got a hobby.
I don't concur with you either.

Israel is an integral part of judaism. A discussion about Israel is a discussion about judaism.

Avi1001

Because I think it's nice to have a place where jews can be jews without the christian point of view. The christians have a directory of their own for that purpose as well.

There is also the general religious debate forum for anyone to have input.

I don't understand, CMike, with an attitude like, this:
.....it's nice to have a place where jews can be jews without the christian point of view....
----

You may as well not give non-members the right to post at all !! That is totally contrary to the spirit of interfaith dialogue that we are trying to imbue in this forum.

I think you need to re-think your position on this, CMike.

Maybe we could go from blue back to green for 1 month, just to give it a try. What do you say ?

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
The Judaism DIR should stay blue. Non-Jews should be welcome to post respectful questions. They have the whole rest of the RF site to offer debate and non-Jewish opinions about Jewish thought.

Interfaith dialogue requires good boundaries. Once we blur the boundaries too much between Jews and non-Jews, there can be no good interfaith dialogue, because there are longer two parties conversing.

CMike

I don't understand, CMike, with an attitude like, this:
.....it's nice to have a place where jews can be jews without the christian point of view....
----

You may as well not give non-members the right to post at all !! That is totally contrary to the spirit of interfaith dialogue that we are trying to imbue in this forum.

I think you need to re-think your position on this, CMike.

Maybe we could go from blue back to green for 1 month, just to give it a try. What do you say ?
Blue is the color of the Israeli flag.:beach:

Green is the color of radical environmentalists. It's not my color.

There are plenty of directories to debate people of different religions.

I would like a directory not to debate the people of other religions as well.

Flankerl

I don't concur with you either.

Israel is an integral part of judaism. A discussion about Israel is a discussion about judaism.

So you are saying that the State of Israel is an integral part of Judaism?

How so? Is it being mentioned in the Tanakh or Talmud?

There is a difference between the State of Israel and Eretz Israel.