• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Average

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Most of us here are average. Even those of us who are exceptionally good at one thing or the other are unlikely to go down in history.

Are you bothered by being likely forgotten in time? If you're not now, were you ever?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Average? Really?

Average human, sure, but humans are not average. We are the paramount species of this planet, probably the only one that exists on every continent, in every corner of the planet. Have you talked to a Martian lately? Met someone who was from Venus? No? Humans are now the apex of this planet's evolutionary line, our intelligence and wisdom unmatched by anything else here.

If you really think humans are average, you need to look at the mirror again, and thank God that you happened to have the right DNA sequence that allows you to be what many people consider to be God incarnate.

Humans, and I mean all humans, are magnificent.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Most of us here are average. Even those of us who are exceptionally good at one thing or the other are unlikely to go down in history.

Are you bothered by being likely forgotten in time? If you're not now, were you ever?
Admittedly I do have the desire to be remembered and famous to some degree. It's good to stay grounded to reality and remember things like impermanence and how we'll be forgotten in time, though, because it reminds us to live life the way we truly want without trying to be larger than life. But then the question becomes, how should we live our lives considering that?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Admittedly I do have the desire to be remembered and famous to some degree. It's good to stay grounded to reality and remember things like impermanence and how we'll be forgotten in time, though, because it reminds us to live life the way we truly want without trying to be larger than life. But then the question becomes, how should we live our lives considering that?

Where do you think the urge to be remembered comes from?

Tell that to Elon Musk. :p

Other than his money and popularity, do you find anything else remarkable about him?

Its remarkable to me the man managed to get as far as he has... there's so little that's remarkable about him!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Not so much. I just want more: food, time, fun etc.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Other than his money and popularity, do you find anything else remarkable about him?

When he bought Twitter I think everybody got a tweet from him affirming his ownership of it. Not many people can tweet 450 million people all at once.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Hey, I made an allowance for you. What more do you want? :p

Why do you feel that is?

For the sake of this thread, unremarkable in the public eye; perhaps unknown past friends/family/neighbors.

Because I value my privacy more. Fame brings tax auditors, lawsuits, and papparazi.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm, recognition if I were to guess. Some people sing because they like to sing and others sing because they want to be heard. I guess I'm a little bit of both.

I can relate to this. Sometimes I like to be heard, too, though I sense that even if I have a temporary crowd, I'll soon be forgotten.

I think that only hurts on an individual level, though... like if a friend forgets me. Not necessarily a face in the crowd.