• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Autotheism of the Left Hand Path

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
In my personal Path and the philosophy behind the Herald of the Dawn, which is the alchemical path of Mercury through Lucifer, Autotheism plays a huge part and truly defines the western left hand path or as Jeremy Crow refers to as, the Complete Path. The crux of Autotheism is that each of us interpret the world and existence dependent upon one's beliefs and these beliefs profoundly effect one's reality as a whole. Belief can be understood as the acceptance of one conviction over another which modifies one's worldview and interpretation. This in turn effects our emotions, attitude, actions and our deliberations.

The definition of Autotheism is the recognition of one's own authority and the philosophically achieved realization that no one is higher than the self. To which I would amend the word self with Self, differentiating between this self and one's higher Self. This is not to be confused with Solipsism, as the Autotheist recognizes the minds of others. We project our own consciousness onto everyone and everything around us and this projection becomes our relationship with parts of ourselves. Although it is difficult to see past our own projections, the Autotheist recognizes that others are doing the same.

At the most mystical level, it is the development of the understanding that we are our own God and always have been. That we are the creators of our own Universe. That we alone are responsible for our own reality and that reality is exemplified by the Ancient Greek aphorism Gnōthi Seauton "know thyself" . . . Know Thy Self!

Autotheism does not lead to a self-depreciating sense of selflessness or the placement of one self over another. It leads to the realization of equality and harmony (Primacy of Darkness), and the Freedom to whomever one feels driven to be. This is, or rather should be, the true meaning behind Free Will . . .
Freedom from the Will of Another!

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Autotheism seems to resonate very well with the Setian concept of Self-created belief systems.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That we alone are responsible for our own reality and that reality is exemplified by the Ancient Greek aphorism Gnōthi Seauton "know thyself" . . . Know Thy Self!
Try telling that to someone whose home was bombed during war, the people who have faced ISIS invasion, those injured or killed by drunk drivers, and most people who are currently ill with whatever infection.
After cultural upbringing, social circumstances, and genetic factors are all considered, there isn't much room for making your own reality. We can shape it to same extent, but it doesn't take much, in terms of things outside of our control, to tear down what we have made. Nobody made their own reality of wage cuts, loss of benefits, layoffs, and job loss, but just a few people made that a reality for many when the Recession hit (actually, even before the Recession hit many were faced with unfavorable economic situations).

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Try telling that to someone whose home was bombed during war, the people who have faced ISIS invasion, those injured or killed by drunk drivers, and most people who are currently ill with whatever infection.
After cultural upbringing, social circumstances, and genetic factors are all considered, there isn't much room for making your own reality. We can shape it to same extent, but it doesn't take much, in terms of things outside of our control, to tear down what we have made. Nobody made their own reality of wage cuts, loss of benefits, layoffs, and job loss, but just a few people made that a reality for many when the Recession hit (actually, even before the Recession hit many were faced with unfavorable economic situations).

Endurance of mind and will is a great strength of the Left Hand Pather. Sure reality can hit hard, life isn't always pretty and can be hell, but it is the kind of (Self-Created) individual you are which will either triumph or fail during times of tribulation. I did make my own triumphant reality through two layoffs and drug addiction. I exercised my own force of mind and will and went out and got another job/s and overcame my addiction. It is a skill of the Black Magician to always land on his/her feet. Either you can let hard times defeat you, or you can get off your ***, employ some sweat equity, will power, endurance of being, and intelligence, and create your own reality of triumph over tribulation. :smileycat: Life is hard, either you can strive to conquer and enjoy, celebrate it, or you can take the easy way and surrender all and let it eat you alive.

Gnothi seauton.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Endurance of mind and will is a great strength of the Left Hand Pather. Sure reality can hit hard, life isn't always pretty and can be hell, but it is the kind of (Self-Created) individual you are which will either triumph or fail during times of tribulation. I did make my own triumphant reality through two layoffs and drug addiction. I exercised my own force of mind and will and went out and got another job/s and overcame my addiction. It is a skill of the Black Magician to always land on his/her feet. Either you can let hard times defeat you, or you can get off your ***, employ some sweat equity, will power, endurance of being, and intelligence, and create your own reality of triumph over tribulation. :smileycat: Life is hard, either you can strive to conquer and enjoy, celebrate it, or you can take the easy way and surrender all and let it eat you alive.

Gnothi seauton.
That is why I said there is some room. But it still doesn't change that a lot of us is beyond our control. I can towards a career that caters towards my strengths and abilities, but that doesn't change the fact my career choices are based on me being an aspie, which makes more conventional career choices impracticable.
In the "river of life," the best we can do is learn how to master the currents of the streams we have been thrown into. But the river we are thrown into, the flow of the river, and its currents, are outside of our control. I wouldn't call it shaping our own reality, but rather learning how to play with the hands we are dealt.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
When I write 'universe' I'm talking about each of our Subjective Universes . . . I should have made that clear.
Otherwise, the reality which the people you mention is still malleable.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
When I write 'universe' I'm talking about each of our Subjective Universes . . . I should have made that clear.
Otherwise, the reality which the people you mention is still malleable.
Even that still depends. It is in no way malleable as things like The Secret imply, and there are still external factors to consider, factors that no matter what you do are going to have a major impact of shaping your reality.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Even that still depends. It is in no way malleable as things like The Secret imply, and there are still external factors to consider, factors that no matter what you do are going to have a major impact of shaping your reality.
Everything 'depends' . . .
I'm not familiar with 'The Secret' is that some movie or book?
"no matter what you do are going to have a major impact of shaping your reality" . . . you are pretty sure that you can't change, aren't you?
That's too bad . . .

Called Meta-Mind in some esoteric circles, neuroplasticity is a very real and useful tool in changing not only one's subjective but also one's objective universe. Unfortunately, like the extreme swing of a pendulum the further someone is traumatized the further that person remains from equilibrium of emotion and mind and that much more difficult to become individuated much less create beneficial change.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not familiar with 'The Secret' is that some movie or book?
It is a book and documentary that claims if you really want something, all you have to do is literally just think it, and think it really hard, and it will happen.
Obviously it's a load of bullocks but a lot of people actually believe it.
"no matter what you do are going to have a major impact of shaping your reality" . . . you are pretty sure that you can't change, aren't you?
I am stating that no matter what, there are always going to be things outside of your control that shape your reality. Circumstances of birth, natural disasters, that fact is there are many things that we cannot choose, cannot control, cannot shape, and yet they will happen anyways. It's best to acknowledge this fact so you can better deal with them than pretending you are completely and entirely in control of everything in your life.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
It is a book and documentary that claims if you really want something, all you have to do is literally just think it, and think it really hard, and it will happen.
Obviously it's a load of bullocks but a lot of people actually believe it.

I am stating that no matter what, there are always going to be things outside of your control that shape your reality. Circumstances of birth, natural disasters, that fact is there are many things that we cannot choose, cannot control, cannot shape, and yet they will happen anyways. It's best to acknowledge this fact so you can better deal with them than pretending you are completely and entirely in control of everything in your life.
You can be in control of your life AND simply observe these outside influences . . . but I get what your saying.
Although you are still talking about the objective universe, which we have very little control over.

I believe in a concept similar to autotheism where one ends up being beyond the objective universe while becoming one's own god.
L’être does not separate from the world, it becomes as vast as this one but while remaining connected to the entirety of the omniverse.

It is similar to the concept of Rhp except that in Rhp there is an annihilation of the individual will for the benefit of the Divine.
here there is also a notion of union (without fusion) except that the individual being does not lose his individual self but he stretches it to take more space to be everything but while remaining himself.

this is the omniversal individuation principle.

Basically I become "a universe" as vast as the universe inside the omniverse (infinite -multiverse).

the mantra of the omniversal Deification is this "I am all that I am and even what I am not, I am" by meditating on this paradoxical phrase one reaches a form of awakening.

one becomes a being infinite in its finitude and particular in its universality.
we become an integral God, that is to say a surreal paradox more real than what we usually take for real .

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
In my personal Path and the philosophy behind the Herald of the Dawn, which is the alchemical path of Mercury through Lucifer, Autotheism plays a huge part and truly defines the western left hand path or as Jeremy Crow refers to as, the Complete Path. The crux of Autotheism is that each of us interpret the world and existence dependent upon one's beliefs and these beliefs profoundly effect one's reality as a whole. Belief can be understood as the acceptance of one conviction over another which modifies one's worldview and interpretation. This in turn effects our emotions, attitude, actions and our deliberations.

The definition of Autotheism is the recognition of one's own authority and the philosophically achieved realization that no one is higher than the self. To which I would amend the word self with Self, differentiating between this self and one's higher Self. This is not to be confused with Solipsism, as the Autotheist recognizes the minds of others. We project our own consciousness onto everyone and everything around us and this projection becomes our relationship with parts of ourselves. Although it is difficult to see past our own projections, the Autotheist recognizes that others are doing the same.

At the most mystical level, it is the development of the understanding that we are our own God and always have been. That we are the creators of our own Universe. That we alone are responsible for our own reality and that reality is exemplified by the Ancient Greek aphorism Gnōthi Seauton "know thyself" . . . Know Thy Self!

Autotheism does not lead to a self-depreciating sense of selflessness or the placement of one self over another. It leads to the realization of equality and harmony (Primacy of Darkness), and the Freedom to whomever one feels driven to be. This is, or rather should be, the true meaning behind Free Will . . .
Freedom from the Will of Another!

Self is a discovery so I am in agreement with your views. Higher self and lower self, I will assume, reflects the developmental aspects of being an individual. I champion individualism. To thine own self be true, so as a Christian, I understand your sentiments. The truth makes us free, the spirit of truth, being the path that leads to freedom. We call this the holy spirit. It's about being honest, so logic comes quite naturally to us.