• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia's Muslim Leader Takes Leave

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Australia's Beleaguered Muslim Leader Takes Indefinite Leave After Fainting Senior Australian Muslim cleric Sheik Taj Aldin al Hilali is seen in this file photo from July 31, 2006. The cleric triggered national outrage on Thursday, Oct. 26, 2006, for likening women who dress immodestly to meat that is left out for prey to eat, a comment critics said excused rape. (AP Photo/Rick Rycroft, file)10-30-2006 5:12 AM
By ROHAN SULLIVAN, Associated Press Writer
SYDNEY, Australia -- Australia's top Islamic cleric, who sparked outrage by saying that immodestly dressed women invite rape, said Monday that his words were "inappropriate and unacceptable" and he was taking indefinite leave.
Sheik Taj Aldin al-Hilali issued the statement from a Sydney hospital after collapsing Monday during a crisis meeting with Muslim leaders.
Earlier in the day, Prime Minister John Howard said the cleric may have breached Australia's counterterrorism laws by praising militants in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The Australian newspaper reported last week that al-Hilali had compared women who do not wear head scarves to "uncovered meat" in a sermon at the mosque.
"I confess that this analogy is inappropriate and unacceptable for the Australian society and the western society in general," al-Hilali said Monday. "In due course, I will take the necessary decision that will lift the pressures that have been placed on our Australian Muslim community and that which will benefit all Australians."
"The pressure of the last couple of days has had an obvious effect on my health and well-being," he said, adding that he had requested indefinite leave from his duties at Lakemba Mosque in Sydney.
Some local media speculated that the 65-year-old Egyptian-born Sunni cleric intended to resign, but Mosque administrator Toufic Zreika said he did not know if that was the case.
"What's happened in the last few days has really taken its toll on him, his family, his health and I think he's just had enough," said Zreika, president of the Lebanese Muslim Association.
The cleric's collapse was related to his heart, Zreika said. Al-Hilali has suffered four strokes and recently underwent double bypass surgery, Zreika said.
Al-Hilali had been meeting with members of the Muslim association that administers his mosque when an ambulance was called to the building.
Al-Hilali, who has been mufti of Australia since 1989, has rejected calls for his resignation over his remarks about women and rape. He apologized for the comments last week and agreed to stop preaching for three months.
The Australian reported Monday that al-Hilali used an Arabic-language radio interview two weeks ago to endorse militants in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Palestinian territories.
"Jihad of Iraqi Muslims is jihad, but not when Sunnis and Shias are killing each other _ that's not jihad," the newspaper quoted al-Hilali as saying on Oct. 17.
It is illegal to incite violence against Australian troops. Australia, a staunch ally in the U.S.-led war on terror, has soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Howard said he did not know if al-Hilali's comments were being investigated.
"If you incite people to hurt our troops, that could be an offense," Howard told Southern Cross Broadcasting radio.
Howard said Australia's 300,000 Muslims should be considering whether al-Hilali is the right person to represent them.
"The real worry I have, and it's a very deep worry, is that this will permanently damage the attitudes and perceptions of Muslims in the broader Australian community and I don't want that to happen," Howard said.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
He was well within his dogmatic beliefs to hold that view, if he was to examine the meaning behind the dogma he would not hold the view.

He is no more insane than any fundy of any belief.

gnostic

The Lost One
He should retired, not take leave. I don't care if this dispicable cleric is sick or not. And I preferred if he apologise in person and in public, not hide behind his so-called illness.

I normally don't agree with John Howard in most thing, but I think he is right this time about al-Hilali. Because his previous apology was unacceptable. :mad:

Random

I agree, he should retire or whatever clerics who are an embarrasment to their faith do, and stay that way. He's a meathead. :mad:

robtex

Veteran Member
It would be interesting to see how the muslim world views his speech, his views and his step down.

Random

robtex said:
It would be interesting to see how the muslim world views his speech, his views and his step down.

Haven't we discussed this ourselves on RF with the input of many Muslims on a thread here? I think the consensus was his views didn't reflect true Islam.

Edit: found it, here it is. :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
061029034439.n7gvn03b0_melbourne-s-daily-papers-outraged-by-sheikh-taj-alb.jpg

Note the headline in the lower right. It certainly suggests that Muslims are standing up against this man and for a more enlighted interpretation of Islam. This, it seems to me, is the real story, and it's a very positive one.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
So if you use diplomacy to get a group of people to deal with their own leader things work out better?

Wow, i thought sending an army in was the most effective way!!!

gnostic

The Lost One
Yesterday, another offensive Muslim cleric, this time in Melbourne, Shiek Mohammed Omran, blaming the court for being biased and unfair against the young gang-rapists who got over 60 years for raping the then 14-year-old girl, in Sydney.

I don't think the sentence is harsh at all, considering that if these crimes were committed in one of the Muslim countries and they were convicted, then they would have face the death sentence. All rape convictions, sexual assaults and child molestation should face such sentence, regardless of what race or religion they belonged. They derserve mercy, and as far as I am concerned they also deserve to rot in prisons. As barbaric it may sound, all rapists/molesters should have all their penises lobbed off.

How these offensive clerics became leaders in Melbourne and Sydney, is beyond me.

al Hilali is only popular among the Sydney's Lebanese Muslims, and yet he is considered to be the Muslim spiritual leader, when other Muslims don't even support him. Do you become a spiritual leader, just by proclaiming yourself one? The process of leaders being chosen is confusing to say the least.

It is these two Muslim leaders who have given Muslims as a whole, a bad image to Islam and the Muslim communities. Why do these two Muslim clerics defending gang-rapists and making excuses for crimes against Australian women? :mad:

kai

ragamuffin
Jay said:
061029034439.n7gvn03b0_melbourne-s-daily-papers-outraged-by-sheikh-taj-alb.jpg

Note the headline in the lower right. It certainly suggests that Muslims are standing up against this man and for a more enlighted interpretation of Islam. This, it seems to me, is the real story, and it's a very positive one.

this is encouraging, its good to see condemnation of these dangerous people

gnostic

The Lost One
According to his daughter today, Taj Aldin al Hilali is not resigning. Well, I hoped that Muslim communities around Australia will force him resign or sack him. But I doubt very much he would be sacked.

gnostic

The Lost One
Shiek Mohammed Omran is another who support convicted gang-rapists in Sydney instead of the rape victims. Another cleric who should leave Australia.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
I think he should stay and cause muslims in this country to decide where they stand.

Too bad they will not have the responsibility placed on their heads.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Pardus said:
So if you use diplomacy to get a group of people to deal with their own leader things work out better?

Wow, i thought sending an army in was the most effective way!!!
Good one! Frubals to you.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Well, he's saying he won't be stepping down, which is unfortunate. I don't think he should be thrown out of the country, but something needs to be done about men like this, certainly.

What is saddening is that with this whole contrived "values debate" going on here at the moment, this sort of thing coming out of Muslim leaders will only serve to skew public sentiment against the general Muslim population. There is enough suspicion already and this kind of thing only serves to justify that suspicion in the eyes of many people.

Not only is Sheikh al-Hilali expressing a disgusting "morality" from a position of authority, but by doing so is hurting his own people.