• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Australians decisively support same-sex marriage"

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
People feel better if they "have a say". The religious right would be against it no matter what, but at least now they can't claim it was rammed down their throats. Here in the U.S. the Supreme Court made the obvious decision. As a result we still hear about "activist unelected officials" changing policy. We would have eventually made it legal, but with quite a few of our states still in the stone age it may have taken a while.

Yep, I get it, and that's exactly what their thinking was (if put a little more charitably than I'd be keen to).
However, democracy can't equate to 'rule of the majority', and turning decisions over to popular vote in this way just makes me even more scared of social media than I already am.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yep, I get it, and that's exactly what their thinking was (if put a little more charitably than I'd be keen to).
However, democracy can't equate to 'rule of the majority', and turning decisions over to popular vote in this way just makes me even more scared of social media than I already am.

I agree. A true democracy will break down into anarchy eventually. The people had an illusion of control in this case. How much did it cost? It was probably worth it to keep those on the anti side from complaining too much. And just think if we in the U.S. had followed your methodolgy would probably still have a holdout or two twenty years down the line. Congratulations on joining the 21st century. But at least I can claim that I did vote for it when it was passed as an initiative in my state. Washington state approved of marriage equality a couple of years or so before the Supreme Court decision.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm glad it passed, but the whole process was a complete frigging waste of money and time, and caused considerable stress for some folks.
120 million bucks to hold a survey which told us exactly what we already knew (majority favour giving people equal rights to marriage), and give our politicians the ability to say 'We gave everyone the chance to have their say', and provide protection from being seen as offering any real leadership on the issue. Idiots.
Let's have a vote on whether aboriginals should have the vote. Then we'll know how the nation really feels about it.

Both sides of the political spectrum here completely dropped the ball on this. Glad it's over, but pretty sure that money could have been used for something better. it's hard to imagine it could have been wasted any more egregiously.
Amen to that. Though given my twisted sick sense of humour much of the "debate" was sheer popcorn worthy. I mean just watching the No campaigners grasp at straws was kind of hilarious. Especially when I witnessed that it was having the effect I knew it would on the youngsters. Most teens I know from work went from indifference to yes voters simply because they were appalled at the No arguments.
I was never in doubt that the yes vote would win, given that surveys over the last decade indicated that most people favoured equality anyway.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If it were just about equality, then I can't see how the word "marriage" makes their relationship any more valid than when they were cohabiting without it. The word "marriage" has never prevented gays from shacking up as far as I know. Introducing your "partner" is common among the population...for the majority, who cares really?
It's allowing not just the term, but all the legal privileges and protections that come along with that "word."
Is it freedom to do as you please regardless of the cost to others? Time will tell, won't it?
There is no cost. When a parent overdoses on drugs and a young child has to call 911, that is damaging. When a parent yells at, degrades and demeans, and ridicules a child, that is damaging. When a parent sexually abuses their child, that is damaging. Homosexuality harms no one.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
It's allowing not just the term, but all the legal privileges and protections that come along with that "word."

Actually it goes a lot deeper than that. A civil partnership affords all the rights and privileges that come with marriage.

This whole gender thing has ramifications for lawmakers and educators and everyone who has a conscience problem with homosexuality. It won't become obvious right away, but we in Australia are waiting for the inevitable to hit the proverbial fan. Problems are already starting to surface in schools.

There is no cost. When a parent overdoses on drugs and a young child has to call 911, that is damaging. When a parent yells at, degrades and demeans, and ridicules a child, that is damaging. When a parent sexually abuses their child, that is damaging. Homosexuality harms no one.

A lot of what you say is true....and yet homosexuality does its own harm IMV. It blurs the line between genders. Children grow up with a warped concept of what a mother and father are supposed to be. (as if many aren't already warped enough) Gender identity is partly genetic and partly learned from our role models. If your parents are of the same sex, then those models are warped. It creates confusion. That confusion is starting to surface in High Schools with kids thinking its trendy now to have homosexual liaisons. That is a recipe for a sick society....immorality run amok. It sickens me.

I do not want my children and grandchildren growing up thinking that any kind of immoral sexual conduct is OK.

If people want to live the lifestyle of their choice, then that is their prerogative...but when they want to force their ideas on my kids by altering what is taught in sex-ed at school, or what is framed into law, then I treat that the same way as I treat smokers. Their right to smoke ends where my lungs begin.

Homosexual rights end when they encroach on my conscientious right to hold an opposing view of their activity.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It won't become obvious right away, but we in Australia are waiting for the inevitable to hit the proverbial fan.
You're the only Australian I've heard that from, and I've talked to more than a few about the subject.
And rest assured that nothing is going to hit the fan. Homosexuals will have equal access to marriage and nothing more.

Problems are already starting to surface in schools.
You keep claiming this, but do not provide evidence.
It blurs the line between genders. Children grow up with a warped concept of what a mother and father are supposed to be.
This is untrue. I've worked with children who have homosexual parents, and they lack this "warped concept" of what a mom and dad are.
If your parents are of the same sex, then those models are warped. It creates confusion.
Homosexual parents do not create gender dysphoria. Role models do not create gender dysphoria. Though it isn't fully understood what causes gender dysphoria, there is sufficient variety of parental combinations and features among those with gender dysphoria to easily disprove it can arise from having homosexual parents.
Homosexual rights end when they encroach on my conscientious right to hold an opposing view of their activity.
You can hold an opposing view point. No one is telling you that you can't. However, homosexuals do not have a detrimental effect on others, and comparing it to second-hand smoke is a poor example because homosexuals will not cause damage or harm to your body like smokers potentially can.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You're the only Australian I've heard that from, and I've talked to more than a few about the subject.

Almost half of Australians didn't even vote (I didn't)......and of the ones who did, a large chunk of them said "no". You obviously haven't spoken to any of those then. I assure you, I am not alone.

And rest assured that nothing is going to hit the fan. Homosexuals will have equal access to marriage and nothing more.

I'll rest assured when I see no major changes in our laws and education system that take away rights from those who do not condone homosexuality. Time will tell.
As strongly as you feel in favor of this issue, I feel just as strongly against it. We don't have to agree. We can just live and let live.

You keep claiming this, but do not provide evidence.

It is what I am hearing from the young ones who attend our local High School. What other evidence do I need?
Gay partnering is gaining popularity in High School....not because kids are gay but because it is cool to be gay ATM. This is what I mean by being a negative influence on young and impressionable minds. This is not healthy IMO.
Children, barely sexually mature are pushed into questioning their sexuality. It's ridiculous!

This is untrue. I've worked with children who have homosexual parents, and they lack this "warped concept" of what a mom and dad are.

How would you know how affected they are? This will not become obvious until they choose mates for themselves later. Their "normal" is not my "normal". Their childhood role modeling would not be my childhood role modeling. Clear gender roles have separated mankind for millennia and yet now we are having a crises of gender roles. These roles are blurred now...how can kids not be affected when you have two guys in suits getting married and two women in wedding dresses tying the knot? I'm sorry, but that to me is just not natural. As a Christian, it will never be natural.

Homosexual parents do not create gender dysphoria. Role models do not create gender dysphoria. Though ihave no clear lines of demarcation.t isn't fully understood what causes gender dysphoria, there is sufficient variety of parental combinations and features among those with gender dysphoria to easily disprove it can arise from having homosexual parents.

I wasn't talking about gender dysphoria, I was speaking about gender roles. When you have two Moms or two Dads who act like a married couple, how does that not distort a child's perceptions of gender roles? Psychologically we are designed for the balance of both sexes. A daughter's relationship with her father affects her future choices for a mate, and the same with boys and their mother. Cross gender roles are important for their healthy development of future relationships. We managed to raise kids with those gender roles very clearly evident, but today's kids have no clear lines of demarcation. Its a recipe for disaster IMO.

You can hold an opposing view point. No one is telling you that you can't. However, homosexuals do not have a detrimental effect on others, and comparing it to second-hand smoke is a poor example because homosexuals will not cause damage or harm to your body like smokers potentially can.

The illustration was about rights, not the act of smoking. People can pollute their own lungs as much as they want...but they don't have the right to pollute mine. I have a Bible based morality and I have a right to hold my view, but if someone whom I view as immoral tries to make me share in their immorality by having laws passed that disadvantage me, that is when I draw the line. I will not allow them to pollute my morality regardless of what the law says.

Conscience is inviolable. Homosexuals can do whatever they like, but please don't assume that everyone has to agree with it, or can be bullied into accepting what will never be acceptable to us. It cannot be forced by any law of man when it violates the law of God.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'll rest assured when I see no major changes in our laws and education system that take away rights from those who do not condone homosexuality.
What rights are being taken away from you?
Children, barely sexually mature are pushed into questioning their sexuality. It's ridiculous!
Where are people being told to question their sexuality? Or, is it rather they are being told it's ok if you do question it?
How would you know how affected they are?
I've basically had their life stories and very souls beared before me. Having "warped views" of gender roles just isn't a concern. If anything, their parents deserve praise, and not ridicule, for taking the initiative to get help for their children that they need (as well as having to courage to accept there are probably areas they are going to need to work on as well - there sexuality not being one of those areas).
When you have two Moms or two Dads who act like a married couple, how does that not distort a child's perceptions of gender roles?
How does it distort it? In what ways does it distort it? And, of course, gender roles are varied from place to place and time to time.
Psychologically we are designed for the balance of both sexes.
This just isn't true. We psychologically evolved for companionship and sex, but there is nothing to indicate we that psychologically we need both sexes.
Its a recipe for disaster IMO.
You opinion, not an evidence based conclusion.
I view as immoral tries to make me share in their immorality by having laws passed that disadvantage me,
In what ways does it disadvantage you?
I will not allow them to pollute my morality regardless of what the law says.
No one is telling you to go have sex with a woman and marry her. No one is telling you to condone it, or forsake your religious beliefs regarding it. You are free to believe as you will.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Almost half of Australians didn't even vote (I didn't)......and of the ones who did, a large chunk of them said "no".
Yes, but it should be noted it was a mail-in vote. Millennials never knew the dependence on mail like older generations did. It's likely those who voted no, asides from being passionately against it, were older and more used to mail, while those younger ones--those who overwhelmingly and mostly support SSM--may not have bothered. Because many didn't vote, we don't have a solid answer as to the overall percentage of how the entire nation actually did stand. But I get the impression that regardless the majority is in favor, and not necessarily by the 60-some percent that voted yes.
You obviously haven't spoken to any of those then. I assure you, I am not alone.
True. But the mail in vote did not capture the entire collective view of all Australians.

Olinda

Almost half of Australians didn't even vote (I didn't)......and of the ones who did, a large chunk of them said "no". You obviously haven't spoken to any of those then. I assure you, I am not alone.

As @sayak83 said on the previous page, almost 80% enrolled voters voted - a huge turnout for a non-compulsory mail vote! Perhaps you missed his post?

I wasn't talking about gender dysphoria, I was speaking about gender roles. When you have two Moms or two Dads who act like a married couple, how does that not distort a child's perceptions of gender roles?

Perhaps you see fixed 'roles' as important because they are so defined in your religion? (e.g., the father's "headship") My own experience is that joint problem solving and good communication are far more effective in maintaining a relationship, and therefore this provides an effective model for children. In any case, there are many more influences on children than their parents.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I'll rest assured when I see no major changes in our laws and education system that take away rights from those who do not condone homosexuality. Time will tell.
As strongly as you feel in favor of this issue, I feel just as strongly against it. We don't have to agree. We can just live and let live.
Hey, I come from a family full of professional educators. In all levels and a couple even in the private sector. They are far more concerned with the Government constantly emphasising the arts whilst doing nothing to encourage the STEM interests in their students. Present and future. I have seen much of the curriculum and I have yet to see any real evidence of your hand wringing being true.

As for more gay couples in high school, hey genius as we become more accepting of gay and BISEXUALITY you will notice a more out in the open prescence. I'm pretty sure this happened when interracial couples became more accepted. And kids have long experimented or thought this was trendy. I was in school over ten years ago and we were doing this then. SSM had nothing to do with it. We just didn't care because unlike the oldies we saw homophobia as inane nonsense. Like racism. We got to know gay people, instead of demonising them and don't like it when others bully our new friends. Some of us experimented in our teens in many ways, because at that age we are still figuring out who we are. Not sure why this is shocking, my dad's generation were experimenting in sexual ways themselves and his childhood was in the 30s (obviously more homophobic in their activities though.)

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
What rights are being taken away from you?

None in Australia as yet, but time will tell if our suspicions are correct. The baker in the USA comes to mind. A person should not be prosecuted for following the dictates of his Christian conscience. Being forced to bake a specific "gay" wedding cake or face prosecution is a case in point. Teachers being forced to include a gay agenda into their sex-ed class would be another.

Where are people being told to question their sexuality? Or, is it rather they are being told it's ok if you do question it?

Kids are being confronted about this issue way too early IMO. They don't even know who they are, let alone what they are at such a young age. Sexual orientation is something to evaluate in adulthood, when one is sure about what they want to do, and the full ramifications of where it will lead.

I've basically had their life stories and very souls beared before me. Having "warped views" of gender roles just isn't a concern.

Of course its not a concern for them....why would it be? How do you see your views as warped if everyone you associate with holds those same views?

I have studied the Bible with gay women. And I have seen firsthand how unbalanced their thinking is. They are so wrapped up in their own gender that you never hear the words "him" or "he" unless they are speaking about their father or their brother. Their relationships are often superficially fleeting and can be very *****y. Every time there was a new relationship, God took second place......so consequently we gave up. They were interested in the Bible only when they had no other women to think about.

If anything, their parents deserve praise, and not ridicule, for taking the initiative to get help for their children that they need (as well as having to courage to accept there are probably areas they are going to need to work on as well - there sexuality not being one of those areas).

Any parent who gets help for their children deserves praise, but when you are the one responsible for them needing help, then I imagine that would be difficult to wear.

How does it distort it? In what ways does it distort it? And, of course, gender roles are varied from place to place and time to time.

I am not sure what you mean by that. Gender roles are specific in every culture and always have been as far as I know. A distortion is what would alter those roles.

This just isn't true. We psychologically evolved for companionship and sex, but there is nothing to indicate we that psychologically we need both sexes.

Evolved? Sorry but there is no evolution as far as sexual reproduction is concerned. Gender is for procreation in just about every species on earth. Tell me how homosexuals could procreate naturally? If all species on earth evolved into same sex relationships, we would have no species left on the planet.

You opinion, not an evidence based conclusion.

All I have ever voiced is my opinion. My conclusions are based on my own experience.

Yes, but it should be noted it was a mail-in vote. Millennials never knew the dependence on mail like older generations did. It's likely those who voted no, asides from being passionately against it, were older and more used to mail, while those younger ones--those who overwhelmingly and mostly support SSM--may not have bothered. Because many didn't vote, we don't have a solid answer as to the overall percentage of how the entire nation actually did stand. But I get the impression that regardless the majority is in favor, and not necessarily by the 60-some percent that voted yes.

Believe me, the fact that it was "postal" made no difference at all to the outcome.

There are 24 million people in Australia. Only 7.8 million voted. It wasn't 61% of the population who voted "yes"....it was 61% of the people who bothered to vote. "Australians decisively support same-sex marriage"

True. But the mail in vote did not capture the entire collective view of all Australians.

If 7,817,247 people voted "yes" out of 24,000,000 people who were invited to vote, then the majority of Australians do not support SSM. Out of the 12.6 million who bothered to vote, 38% of them said "no". The majority of Australians just wanted the whole issue to go away. Quite frankly, we were sick to death of hearing about it. We still are. It is as interesting to us as our religion is to you.

Olinda

Believe me, the fact that it was "postal" made no difference at all to the outcome.

There are 24 million people in Australia. Only 7.8 million voted. It wasn't 61% of the population who voted "yes"....it was 61% of the people who bothered to vote. "Australians decisively support same-sex marriage"

If 7,817,247 people voted "yes" out of 24,000,000 people who were invited to vote, then the majority of Australians do not support SSM. Out of the 12.6 million who bothered to vote, 38% of them said "no". The majority of Australians just wanted the whole issue to go away. Quite frankly, we were sick to death of hearing about it. We still are. It is as interesting to us as our religion is to you.

Nope, the whole Australian population was not invited to vote. Only those on the electoral roll. That's fewer than 17 million.

12.6 million votes were counted, and 61.6 million of those voted Yes.

So your conclusion does not follow.

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
None in Australia as yet, but time will tell if our suspicions are correct.
therefor let us freak out about nothing
The baker in the USA comes to mind.
So sick of the damn baker, but whatever you think of the case, the baker hasn't lost any rights due to same sex marriage.
If 7,817,247 people voted "yes" out of 24,000,000 people who were invited to vote, then the majority of Australians do not support SSM. Out of the 12.6 million who bothered to vote, 38% of them said "no". The majority of Australians just wanted the whole issue to go away. Quite frankly, we were sick to death of hearing about it.
And how do you know what people who didn't vote wanted?

Altfish

Veteran Member
None in Australia as yet, but time will tell if our suspicions are correct. The baker in the USA comes to mind. A person should not be prosecuted for following the dictates of his Christian conscience. Being forced to bake a specific "gay" wedding cake or face prosecution is a case in point. Teachers being forced to include a gay agenda into their sex-ed class would be another.
So if his conscience had said, "I won't bake a cake for a negro"; would that be ok? Or perhaps not bake a cake because they are Autistic, or Blind? Where do you draw the line?

Kids are being confronted about this issue way too early IMO. They don't even know who they are, let alone what they are at such a young age. Sexual orientation is something to evaluate in adulthood, when one is sure about what they want to do, and the full ramifications of where it will lead.
Should we apply the same rules to indoctrinating kids with religion, after all. "They don't even know who they are, let alone what they are at such a young age." Should religion not be evaluated in adulthood?

I have studied the Bible with gay women. And I have seen firsthand how unbalanced their thinking is. They are so wrapped up in their own gender that you never hear the words "him" or "he" unless they are speaking about their father or their brother. Their relationships are often superficially fleeting and can be very *****y. Every time there was a new relationship, God took second place......so consequently we gave up. They were interested in the Bible only when they had no other women to think about.
My daughter is in a gay relationship, they have a lovely daughter who is an absolute delight. They meet with heterosexual friends, meet dads all the time. I'm her granddad.
Could you present some evidence that same sex relationships are any more superficially fleeting than heterosexual relationships? All the evidence I have seen contradicts that.

Evolved? Sorry but there is no evolution as far as sexual reproduction is concerned. Gender is for procreation in just about every species on earth. Tell me how homosexuals could procreate naturally? If all species on earth evolved into same sex relationships, we would have no species left on the planet.
The same way that many heterosexual couples who have struggled to have children procreate.
They go to a clinic and eggs are fertilised and implanted.

I would argue that ALL (Barring people who were incapacitated on the day) who felt strongly against the legislation will have voted, similarly those who were for the legislation will have made sure they voted.
Your 24m figure includes children and other people not eligible to vote, the actual people able to vote is nearer 16m. Turnout was almost 80%

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
None in Australia as yet, but time will tell if our suspicions are correct.
So, then despite your claims, you can't actually name any such things happening though you say they are happening.
The baker in the USA comes to mind.
The issue of the baker was settled decades ago when it was ruled those businesses of public accomadations cannot discriminate, for any reason, including religious. And, yes, the reasons given for keeping black people out and not serving were very similar, and also quoted from the Bible, just as they are today against homosexual couples.
Kids are being confronted about this issue way too early IMO.
Kids become sexually curious during their pre-teen and teenaged years. It's not being "confronted" about it, but rather educated and taught about it. And it's not too early to teach them when they are sexually curious, because failing to teach them results in teenaged pregnancy, the spread of STIs, and it also doesn't help them to deal with peer pressure and being pressured into having sex even if they are not ready/willing themselves. It's not just "ok kids, this is how to have sex," but rather such programs teach about sexuality, including the fact that not everyone is heterosexual.
Sexual orientation is something to evaluate in adulthood, when one is sure about what they want to do, and the full ramifications of where it will lead.
Yet most people know their sexual orientation many years before they are an adult. And even many, many adults do not know what they want, nor fully comprehend the ramifications of their actions.
Of course its not a concern for them....why would it be? How do you see your views as warped if everyone you associate with holds those same views?
It's not just my views, but also the views of those who have also worked with them, such as their therapists who helped developed treatment plans and goals.
Any parent who gets help for their children deserves praise, but when you are the one responsible for them needing help, then I imagine that would be difficult to wear.
In my field, sometimes the parents are responsible, sometimes they aren't. In the case I was referring to, they aren't. Actually, one of their moms is actually quite adamant when it comes to saying please and thank you, yes sir, no mam, and speaking loudly and clearly and making eye contact.
I am not sure what you mean by that. Gender roles are specific in every culture and always have been as far as I know. A distortion is what would alter those roles.
Even in cultures that made no distinction between hetero/homosexual, such things just didn't happen.
Evolved? Sorry but there is no evolution as far as sexual reproduction is concerned.
Evolution and reproduction (both sexual and asexual) are very intimately interwoven into each other.
Tell me how homosexuals could procreate naturally?
They do. And, even if they never did, it wouldn't be a problem since they don't even come close to making up half the population.
If 7,817,247 people voted "yes" out of 24,000,000 people who were invited to vote, then the majority of Australians do not support SSM. Out of the 12.6 million who bothered to vote, 38% of them said "no".
There is no basis or grounds to assume those that didn't vote are against SSM. It's kind of like how in American elections, only a minority of eligible voters even bother to vote, meaning our elections here never capture the voice of the public, but only of those who do vote.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Okay first of all, if you provide a service to the public you have to serve the public. You can't just randomly decide who you're not serving. The very first thing you're taught in retail is, the life of the customer buying your product is none of your damned business. I doubt very much said baker blinked when serving a satanist couple or a divorced couple unawares. Because he's a hypocritical douche who just wanted an excuse to be a jerk to gay people. And worse, hid behind Jesus like a coward.

If he really had such convictions (and I have my doubts) he could have put up a large sign that read
We refuse service to Divorcees, Non Christians and Gay People. And then capitalism would then probably run it out of business, but at least he would have stood strong in his convictions. I suspect though that he knew he would lose money, the actual thing he worships.

Nothing more than a cowardly cherry picking crybaby throwing a tantrum when told to treat others in a manner in which he would want to be treated (hint hint hint!!) Yeah, Jesus must be real proud. :rolleyes: Pharisee much?

Kids don't know about themselves which is exactly the right time to tell them. Sexuality is taught at a young age in order to boost self esteem, allow children to get to know themselves and how to say no effectively when they are not ready. They are taught how to have safe sex, how to avoid sexual abuse (AHEM!) and why some people are different from themselves. Teaching sex ed to children is essential to providing an outlet for sexually abused children to protect themselves and to teach young children that it exists. Contraception and the like usually comes a little bit later, like in early High School, just before the onset of puberty and those hormones. But sure, let's just keep kids in the dark, allow sexually abused children to suffer in silence until they learn better and let their peers be their teacher. Won't someone think of the children, indeed!

Do you even know what our curriculum teaches? Like seriously. You could just see for yourself. It's not like the Government hides it.
Sexuality Teaching Programs

Relationships and sexuality - The Australian Curriculum v7.5

Ehh, not really. Folklore from my own ancient culture, just from the top of my head.

Shikhandi - Wikipedia
Ila (Hinduism) - Wikipedia
Brihannala - Wikipedia

There's also a story where Indra turns a man (who had like a 100 kids) into a woman, who then goes on to mother another 100 or so kids. And they seem to do just fine.

And kids prove you wrong this time as well. Even the people I know with single parents who never see the other one knows what a mother and a father is and does. And please, biological parents are not the only influence in a child's life.

Okay first of all, procreation is not the only reason nature has sex. There are entire schools of dolphins who have gay orgies just for the hell of it. Secondly, sexuality evolves for many different reasons. Procreation isn't the pinnacle actually. In many social species,of which we are one, a portion of their population does not reproduce at all. For whatever reason. Sexual selection, survival strategy, natural selection etc. It's hypothesized that gay people cropped up as a way for a tribe to have someone to protect and care for infants if the parents died. And given how often this happened, it was pretty damned useful. Fun fact, this strategy is observed in many social species, including Meerkats and many species of ape.
Even if that were not the case, you should be thanking gay people for not contributing to the overpopulation of our species and the starvation that future generations might go through. Instead you're wanting to make that happen faster.
I know the whole, go forth and multiply is a strong thing. But that has consequences too. One must take into account when that was issued and what has changed since then. But whatever, that's up to you I guess.

Only those on the electoral role were invited to vote and if one really wanted to vote, they had the option of signing up for the electoral role. If they were barred because they are not Australian citizens, then they can't vote. That was literally the only thing holding people back. So of those people who voted, I can say without a doubt, every single one of them was a legal Australian citizen who gets a say in how our country is shaped. Those that opted out, I can't really say the same thing confidently. Maybe some of them are, maybe they weren't. So of the ones that did not opt out intentionally in this vote but still failed to vote, one can surmise that their voices actually do not matter. Since they are unable or barred from helping to make decisions for this country. Either because they are illegal immigrants or criminals or whatever else bars one from getting a vote in any election this country holds. Those are your so called "No voters" who didn't vote.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Nope, the whole Australian population was not invited to vote. Only those on the electoral roll. That's fewer than 17 million.

Can't imagine why those 17 million folk haven't got their names on the electoral role....can you? Nothing to do with having no one worth voting for I suppose? :shrug:

12.6 million votes were counted, and 61.6 million of those voted Yes.

You might want to do the math again....eh? :D

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
So if his conscience had said, "I won't bake a cake for a negro"; would that be ok? Or perhaps not bake a cake because they are Autistic, or Blind? Where do you draw the line?

Since I see no Biblical law that prohibits Negros or autistic or blind people from eating cake, I would draw the line where the Bible does.

If I was to put up a sign that said "no gay wedding cakes available here" what do you think would happen? The protests would be loud and ugly. Yet if someone else was to put up a sign that said "gay wedding cakes made to order", that would be seen as OK. You see, all I want is the choice. If my conscience will not allow me to condone a certain behavior, then I want a choice to say "I can't do that because it is a violation of my conscience."

Since other bakeries will gladly comply, why make a big deal out of it? If gays take their business elsewhere, then that is my loss. I'll accept it. If the issue gets out of hand, then its time to opt for a new way to earn a living...or else just bake cookies and cupcakes.

Should we apply the same rules to indoctrinating kids with religion, after all. "They don't even know who they are, let alone what they are at such a young age." Should religion not be evaluated in adulthood?

No one should be forced into a religion against their will. But if parents decide to tech their children the religion that they follow, then when kids are old enough to make their own decisions they will either validate what they have been taught or they will go in another direction. It is their choice and they should be free to make it. The same can be said for indoctrinating kids with the theory of evolution as if it were established fact. By the time they leave High School, they do not question it.....but they should. We should question everything. I wasn't born into my religion, I chose it after a very thorough investigation taking two years to check it out thoroughly. I have never regretted my decision after 45 years.

My daughter is in a gay relationship, they have a lovely daughter who is an absolute delight. They meet with heterosexual friends, meet dads all the time. I'm her granddad.
Could you present some evidence that same sex relationships are any more superficially fleeting than heterosexual relationships? All the evidence I have seen contradicts that.

I am pleased for you. Many gay relationships are very loving and monogamous. The ones I had contact with were not.
Why would their children be anything different to any other kids? Its only when forming their own relationships in adulthood that unexpected problems might occur. Role modeling is important to a child's healthy mental development. Gender roles have always been clearly separate, but now they are blurred.

I have nothing against gay people at all personally....except when they try to force me to accept their lifestyle as something that should be acceptable to everyone. As a Christian, it will never be acceptable to me but I have no desire to lobby a government to ban it. All I can do is follow the Bible's teachings in my own life. If I am as offended by their lifestyle as they are offended by my refusal to accept it, then whose offense is more important? Isn't it better to just live and let live? Stay out of each other's way?

The same way that many heterosexual couples who have struggled to have children procreate.
They go to a clinic and eggs are fertilised and implanted.

I have known gay women to use the sperm of gay male donors in their friendship circle because the clinic route is expensive. I have to wonder about the gene pool in such circumstances.

In a world that has lost all sense of morality, I don't think we can really expect things to go in any other direction. Such is life.