• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Australians decisively support same-sex marriage"

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Our "sex ed" consisted of "condoms don't work that well," "sex outside of marriage ruins sex," "abstinence is the only way to prevent pregnancy," and "a woman's sexuality is comparable to a piece of tape of chewing gum."
In health class, rudimentary text book drawings of the internal anatomy was it, and biology, things like "labia" and "clitoris" where all lumped together as "what the woman sees" as though it were shameful to call them by name and actually talk about them (and the teacher for this class was female).
Had you mentioned hermaphrodites/intersexuals, heads may have exploded.
:eek:
Where did you go to school? The Catholic Church?

I mean yeah, it took until grade 9/10 to cover things like full in depth anatomy (with crappy text books cuz public school.) But Labia, clitoris, ovaries, testes, these were all frankly discussed in Biology and sometimes the yearly Sex Ed courses. With the school nurse. We got over the giggles in such classes I think back in grade 7/8. Health class was literally listing the names of the (then known) sexually transmitted diseases, the various ways they could be transmitted (oral, anal etc) and how to prevent them. I mean the sure the School Chaplain might pop in to stress abstinence occasionally, but you know fine. It was also a cooking class and focused on basic nutrition information and warnings about various eating disorders, so that was a thing I guess. Sex ed was where we learnt about various ways to prevent pregnancy, the pros and cons of various contraception methods and the obligatory how to put a condom on. And free condoms, which we of course turned into water balloons the second we left class. And pocketed a few, you know, better safe than sorry. IIRC a few were even flavoured, though I don't think that was intentional lol. And you know, the other obvious ones. What exactly happens during a Menstrual Cycle (biologically and emotionally speaking) how pregnancy works, puberty etc etc etc.
Mind you I live in a pretty conservative state all things considered. So I might have gotten the shorthand version, as it were.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Where did you go to school? The Catholic Church?
Public school, unfortunately.
And free condoms, which we of course turned into water balloons the second we left class.
No, no, no, you got it all wrong! You get those, and you're supposed to have lots of babies because they don't work and become sex fiends, because, you know, teens aren't interested in having sex and won't have unless you encourage them by teaching them about sex and giving them condoms. :mad:

Mind you I live in a pretty conservative state all things considered.
What you described and the word "conservative" just don't belong together like that, lol.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
[QUOTE="Deeje, post: 5399275, member: 18814]This will never sit well with those who hold to the Bible's standards. Marriage is defined in scripture as between a man and a woman. They should call it something else instead of trying to dictate their own standards to what God has instituted. It will never have his approval despite what humans think.[/QUOTE]
Still, since God is an invention of humans anyway, it follows that since they approve, then their invention approves, too.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Public school, unfortunately.
Public school does indeed suck.

No, no, no, you got it all wrong! You get those, and you're supposed to have lots of babies because they don't work and become sex fiends, because, you know, teens aren't interested in having sex and won't have unless you encourage them by teaching them about sex and giving them condoms. :mad:
Ooops! We totally failed in life! No wonder I hardly knew any girl who dropped out of High School to care for a baby. Damn our education, encouraging teens to have sex! Monsters!!!

What you described and the word "conservative" just don't belong together like that, lol.
Well politically speaking, no one is really as hardcore as the Americans (in the West anyway.) Both sides of our yobbos in office are often described as "center left/right" when translated into the American landscape. So I guess conservative to me, mildly traditional to you lol

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
No one said you have to.

I don't condone lots of things people do. That's not grounds for making them illegal.

I have no desire to lobby for changes in law to make SSM illegal.....I didn't vote because what is in the law is none of my business. I have a greater interest in God's law than in man's.
That does not stop me from having an opinion on the issue, especially since it contravenes the law of God.
I don't have to agree with SSM any more than gays have to agree with the Bible.

But it seems to me that gays want to force everyone to accept them as normal....I will never see their relationships as normal. But that is not to say that I have anything against them personally. Its their lifestyle I can't accept because of how God views it.

What does it matter anyway? If the LGBTQ community are going to ignore God, they certainly aren't going to take any notice of dissenting voices....yet there are many.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have no desire to lobby for changes in law to make SSM illegal.....I didn't vote because what is in the law is none of my business. I have a greater interest in God's law than in man's.
That does not stop me from having an opinion on the issue, especially since it contravenes the law of God.

But it seems to me that gays want to force everyone to accept them as normal....I will never see their relationships as normal. But that is not to say that I have anything against them personally. Its their lifestyle I can't accept bacuse of how God views it.

What does it matter anyway? If the LGBTQ community are going to ignore God, they certainly aren't going to take any notice of dissenting voices....yet there are many.
It's unavoidable to violate some god's law. There are so gosh darn many, & they don't
coordinate their laws with each other very well at all. If it's not God laying down the law,
then it's Allah, Thor, Apollo, the Jewish god, Lakshmi, Zeus, etc, etc. If you dance, eat
bacon, don't wear a veil, work on Saturday, consort with untouchables, eat meat on
Friday, or do any such thing which is prohibited somewhere, you're violating "God's law".

So what's a guy to prohibit? Well, here's a good guide to deciding which laws to enforce....
If it doesn't harm anyone else, & if you're doing something with someone else with their
permission, then it's probably OK.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

But it seems to me that gays want to force everyone to accept them as normal....I will never see their relationships as normal. But that is not to say that I have anything against them personally. Its their lifestyle I can't accept bacuse of how God views it.

Why the sanctimonious indignation? How about worrying about the beam in your own eye rather than the mote in the eye's of others?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
So you believe that infertile couples shouldn't be allowed to marry either?

Did I say that? Biblical marriage between a man and a woman is the norm because it allows children to be born into a family where male and female influences are balanced and the people who contributed to your birth are actually related to you biologically. That gives us our sense of self. I understand that certain circumstances make that difficult, but that is the goal of Biblical marriage, generally speaking.

Regardless of whether children are born or not, the marriage itself is sanctioned by the Creator.

I'm British.

You were talking about the US.

Do you not understand that not everyone agrees with your notion that gay sex is immoral, and that even more people believe that homosexuals deserve equality?

Indeed.....but not everyone thinks gay sex is moral either. There is really no such thing as equality if it has to be forced on people. That means that consensus will never be reached because of opposing views that can never be reconciled. We just have to learn to live with the fact that neither side will ever gain acceptance from the other camp. To agree to disagree is the only solution.

The Bible can also be wrong, so you must be happy to be wrong.

I have never found the Bible to be wrong in any way that counts. It has guided me all my life one way or another.
I have never found that when humans transgress the laws of God that it ever results in genuine happiness for them long term. Just the opposite in fact.

It's not about offence, it's about rights and equality - an issue you entirely sidestep.

Rights? Equality? If everyone has equal rights, then those rights should never come at the expense of the rights of others. Tell me how that can work in real life?
Without compromise, it can never be achieved. Do you see a willingness to compromise on either side of this topic? It will never be forced, no matter what the law says. You do understand this?

Do you believe you have the right to decide which groups of people are entitled to express their love openly, and which groups are entitled to a legally recognized union?

I don't personally have the right to dictate anything to anyone. No one has to answer to me.....but I do believe that they will have to answer to the Creator sooner or later. Lets see if he recognizes those rights.....?

Till then...live and let live. If they stop throwing gay rights at me....I will stop throwing God's law at them....simple.:shrug:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Well, here's a good guide to deciding which laws to enforce....
If it doesn't harm anyone else, & if you're doing something with someone else with their
permission, then it's probably OK.

Perhaps you can apply that to a pedophiles? Some children raised in a household where pedophilia has been a part of their lives since they can remember, see nothing wrong with it. It is normal behavior to them. Girls who have had incestuous relationships with their fathers or brothers, see no wrong if the activity is consensual. If it comes to light they will defend their abusers. On that account, does that make what they are doing OK with you? :shrug:

Humans are not natural perverts unless they choose to step over that line for whatever reason. Once they see that their flesh has a craving for that kind of activity and that they weren't struck by lightning as a result, they will keep moving that line because the flesh is a powerful influence in what people want to do, particularly in a sexual way. We are sexual beings, but the Creator added boundaries to that activity so that it was properly conducted within the boundaries that he set. Just because humans want to move the boundaries altogether, doesn't mean that the Creator does. That is the way I look at it.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I can’t ignore a God I don’t believe in, can I?

Yes you can. The Creator has made his requirement known regarding his laws to people of all faiths. Not believing in him doesn't make his law invalid....it doesn't mean that his law doesn't apply just because people reject it.....he says it applies to all. I am just passing that message along. What people do with that is up to them. :shrug:
I am nobody's judge.

Now, another God who has my devotion gets my full attention. But he doesn’t make demands.

There are many people who had better hope that their gods are the right ones....and not some overindulgent fake who is going to laugh all the way into oblivion with his many deceived devotees. No one gets out of this world alive you know.....:p

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Why the sanctimonious indignation? How about worrying about the beam in your own eye rather than the mote in the eye's of others?

I am concerned about the outcome for those who reject the Creator's terms for life. Is that being sanctimonious?

Is it wrong to warn people of a bad outcome for certain behaviors, as Jesus did? You can judge me that way if you wish, but I am just a dissenting voice in this issue, reminding people that what was not acceptable in times past for moral reasons, is still unacceptable now for all the same reasons. Humans want to change the rules, but unless God wants to change them, its a bit of a futile exercise IMO.

Some who claim to be Christians have voted "yes" in this issue, against all Bible teachings.
And some have been very nasty about their views in condemning gays to "burn in hell". Neither of those positions reflect the attitude of Jesus Christ, who simply offered his message to whomever wanted to listen. Those who rejected it were free to do so.

Australia has one of the biggest gay mardi-gras in the world, held every year....and it is obvious what is being celebrated. It is gay sex that is being promoted....it isn't "love" but "lust" that is the theme of the occasion.......do people even know the difference anymore?

Perhaps we should all just avoid talking about this issue? :shrug: I don't believe that it is ever going to gain complete acceptance.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Did I say that?
No, but you're saying that that point of marriage is to have children - therefore, do you think that infertile couples also shouldn't be allowed to get married?

Biblical marriage between a man and a woman is the norm because it allows children to be born into a family where male and female influences are balanced and the people who contributed to your birth are actually related to you biologically.
So do you believe adoption results in an "unbalanced" family?

That gives us our sense of self. I understand that certain circumstances make that difficult, but that is the goal of Biblical marriage, generally speaking.
So infertile couples shouldn't be allowed to marry, right?

Regardless of whether children are born or not, the marriage itself is sanctioned by the Creator.
This being the case, what does it matter if homosexuals get married? If it's not sanctioned by God anyway, it makes no difference.

You were talking about the US.
I gave the US as an example of a place where the rights of a civil partnership are different to the rights of a marriage, and it's similar in almost every nation that has both civil partnerships and marriages.

Indeed.....but not everyone thinks gay sex is moral either.
Irrelevant. We're talking about marriage, not sex. There are lots of people who think sex outside of wedlock, recreational sex or sex between people of different races is immoral, but we don't stop such people from marrying.

There is really no such thing as equality if it has to be forced on people.
Nothing is being forced on anyone. Gay marriage literally only affects gay couples who want to marry. Also, you're the one who believes on forcing your beliefs on others.

That means that consensus will never be reached because of opposing views that can never be reconciled.
And I'm sure people who think black people don't deserve equal rights won't come around either, but that doesn't mean we should deny black people rights.

We just have to learn to live with the fact that neither side will ever gain acceptance from the other camp. To agree to disagree is the only solution.
Then do that. Just don't impose your beliefs on others.

I have never found the Bible to be wrong in any way that counts. It has guided me all my life one way or another.
So you're okay with slavery?

I have never found that when humans transgress the laws of God that it ever results in genuine happiness for them long term. Just the opposite in fact.
You're right. Slaves were better off obeying their masters.

(Actually, at this point, let's avert debating the Bible - it'll derail the thread - instead, let's agree that the Bible has served you well as a moral guide, but that this doesn't give you the right to force that moral guide on others.)

Rights? Equality? If everyone has equal rights, then those rights should never come at the expense of the rights of others. Tell me how that can work in real life?
In what way does gay people being allowed to marry come at the expense of anyone else's rights?

Without compromise, it can never be achieved. Do you see a willingness to compromise on either side of this topic? It will never be forced, no matter what the law says. You do understand this?
You're right. Civil rights leaders should have compromised with racist government policies rather than overturning them. Because, as we all know, rights should be dictated by compromising with people who will never change their minds rather than by taking definitive action.

I don't personally have the right to dictate anything to anyone. No one has to answer to me.....but I do believe that they will have to answer to the Creator sooner or later. Lets see if he recognizes those rights.....?
Again, those are YOUR beliefs. Why should your beliefs affect the rights of others? If God wants to judge people, let him judge people. You have no say in the process anyway, so why deny other people the right to marry when you cannot judge them for it?

Till then...live and let live. If they stop throwing gay rights at me....I will stop throwing God's law at them....simple.:shrug:
How exactly does one "throw gay rights" at people?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
No, but you're saying that that point of marriage is to have children - therefore, do you think that infertile couples also shouldn't be allowed to get married?

So do you believe adoption results in an "unbalanced" family?

So infertile couples shouldn't be allowed to marry, right?

This being the case, what does it matter if homosexuals get married? If it's not sanctioned by God anyway, it makes no difference.

I gave the US as an example of a place where the rights of a civil partnership are different to the rights of a marriage, and it's similar in almost every nation that has both civil partnerships and marriages.

Irrelevant. We're talking about marriage, not sex. There are lots of people who think sex outside of wedlock, recreational sex or sex between people of different races is immoral, but we don't stop such people from marrying.

Nothing is being forced on anyone. Gay marriage literally only affects gay couples who want to marry. Also, you're the one who believes on forcing your beliefs on others.

And I'm sure people who think black people don't deserve equal rights won't come around either, but that doesn't mean we should deny black people rights.

Then do that. Just don't impose your beliefs on others.

So you're okay with slavery?

You're right. Slaves were better off obeying their masters.

(Actually, at this point, let's avert debating the Bible - it'll derail the thread - instead, let's agree that the Bible has served you well as a moral guide, but that this doesn't give you the right to force that moral guide on others.)

In what way does gay people being allowed to marry come at the expense of anyone else's rights?

You're right. Civil rights leaders should have compromised with racist government policies rather than overturning them. Because, as we all know, rights should be dictated by compromising with people who will never change their minds rather than by taking definitive action.

Again, those are YOUR beliefs. Why should your beliefs affect the rights of others? If God wants to judge people, let him judge people. You have no say in the process anyway, so why deny other people the right to marry when you cannot judge them for it?

How exactly does one "throw gay rights" at people?

Why would anyone bother to respond to you? You twist everything I say :facepalm:

Believe whatever you wish.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
There is something very sinister about the person who will point to any group and then rant and rage in self-righteous judgement against it.
I have taken some interest in such people and often found that they are compensating for their own mindsets or actions.

Deeje seemed to like this message when it was supporting her in another thread. I'll repeat it back to her in this thread. I think it works well in both cases.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Deeje seemed to like this message when it was supporting her in another thread. I'll repeat it back to her in this thread. I think it works well in both cases.

When I saw that you had quoted me on this thread, I was so surprised, because I felt sure that I had not posted anything here.

My post stands, here, there or anywhere else......... folks who rant in heated frenzy over issues show a sinister aspect, either connected with agenda, compensation or prejudice.

By the way, it's really great that Oz has voted to support Gay Marriage. I understand that the OZ Parlaiment still has to debate the issue to discover any ammendments it wishes to make.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
No, but you're saying that that point of marriage is to have children - therefore, do you think that infertile couples also shouldn't be allowed to get married??
The above was sent to another.....
Many Fundamental Christians believe the above.
My wife cannot have children for various reasons, and when this was discovered on a mainly Right Wing, White-Lives-Matter, Fundamentalist Christian Forum a majority of members who were posting thought that our marriage is therefore Null, and should never have happened.

But the Mosaic Laws were all about bringing strength, security, health and success to the Israelites, and therefore it was required for men and women to couple and have children, for the Israelites to grow.

That was the reason why Gay Closed Couples did not suit the Israelites, they got nothing out of it.

And since all couples had to be closed to protect from transmitted sicknesses there was no place for homosexuality back then.

But Men could take slaves and captured virgins, that was ok, so long as the relationships remained closed for health reasons.

Today we certainly don't need a high birthrate, so don't need couples to have children, so don't need to insist on Hetero-couples.

Some religions are just stuck fast back in the day, I'm afraid, and it's up to the new generations to vote humanity into freedom of sexuality, sexual choice, sexual partnerships and sexual orientation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Perhaps you can apply that to a pedophiles?
That harms children....horribly.
And they're simply too immature to be capable of giving consent.
Humans are not natural perverts unless they choose to step over that line for whatever reason.
Humans are natural perverts.
Where choosing comes into play is in their actions.
....the Creator added boundaries to that activity so that it was properly conducted within the boundaries that he set. Just because humans want to move the boundaries altogether, doesn't mean that the Creator does. That is the way I look at it.
I observe that different creators have different standards of behavior.
With no way to say which ones have The Truth, we need a more
universal standard...hence my proposal.

Last edited: