• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Australians decisively support same-sex marriage"

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Pretty myths aren't my area of expertise, but out of curiosity, is there any passage in your bible that explicitly states the word "marriage" must be reserved for the union of a male and female?

Genesis 2:24 ......."That is why a man will leave his father and his mother and he will stick to his wife, and they will become one flesh."

Then there is Jesus quoting these words.

Matthew 19:4-6
...."In reply he [Jesus] said: “Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female 5 and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? 6 So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart.

The last part of that scripture is often quoted in marriage vows. Don't let anyone tell you that marriage isn't God's arrangement. No human has the right to tamper with it IMV.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I care about that why? I care what someone thinks about me and my private life why?

I care what someone else’s scripture says why? Your scriptures are not binding on me. I have my own, which are far more fulfilling and meaningful for me. I care about a deity who has no power over me why?

This is what really chaps my butt... trying to force your beliefs on me.

When have I ever done that? Seriously. You can make your own choices.....nothing to do with me.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You should stop insisting Christians hold the exclusive rights to define a civil law ceremony and right.

When did I insist on any of that?

Christians have no right to dictate the lives of others. "God's law" does not apply to those who don't believe, and Christians themselves can't even really agree as to what exactly "God's law" is. You have your beliefs, they have theirs. You have no right to over-ride and over-rule the beliefs of others, especially when it comes to civil matters.

I agree, people are free to do whatever they wish. God allows people to make their own choices. What are you reading into my words? I have a personal opinion but I do not force it on others and would never protest or lobby to have laws changed unless I was personally affected by them, such as in restriction of my own freedoms including the practice of my religious beliefs. I do not dictate to others, but hold my own views on this topic.....what are my views worth to you?

In America (I'm not sure formally of other nations but it doesn't seem to fly in most I'm aware of) it was ruled, decades ago, that "separate but equal" is unconstitutional and thus illegal and not something that can be legally practiced. This demand for "civil unions" instead of marriage is nothing less than trying to roll back on civil rights.

I never demanded civil unions for gays but only asked why that wasn't good enough for them? When straight people are getting married less and less, doesn't it make you wonder why gays want it so badly?

"Normal" (straight) marriage as an institution is almost dead in the western world....so why revive (what is to me) a perverted version of it? That makes no sense unless it is to lead somewhere else. :shrug:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
so why revive (what is to me) a perverted version of it?

Because maybe we perverts can make it work, something “normal” people failed miserably at. Is it such a scary prospect that it has to be blocked at every turn?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Where did I say it had to? Religion has nothing to do with secular law...or it shouldn't. But religion is what gives us our conscience...our natural sense of right and wrong. Even non religious people are repelled by SSM.
Stats, please. I suspect many are indifferent to it.

Also not every Christian was in the no camp. For example These religious leaders are putting dogma aside to support same-sex marriage

Also religions say different things about SSM. For instance I did not hear a lot of Jewish noise on this debate, only various denominations of Christianity, to be fair, on both sides. I didn't even hear that many Muslim voices tbh. And I suspect that a sizable amount of Dharmic adherents would either be indifferent or yes voters.

Australia's largest "religion" is sport. We are by nature skeptics and we have our BS meters set pretty high on average. We don't swallow what others tell us generally, and we like our own way of doing things.
True. We are also kind of lazy by nature. Case in point, the amount who actually voted in this thing.

We are less likely to say yes to anything unless the propaganda has been dispensed in just the right way, by the right people....e.g. celebrities and sports stars who are gay. Especially the ones who touch an emotional chord. Perception management is a science and the powers behind this movement know what they are doing. There is an agenda that most people will not be aware of.
Same goes for being told to be against something, or the no side in this case.
. Incidentally I saw far more emotional tug pulling and often downright lies from the No campaign. Something something, religious freedom even though SSM does not magically take away religious freedom but whatever, something something won't somebody think about the children (except kids who have gay parents who would benefit from this legislation of course, screw them. Yes very Christian, indeed.) Something something, I was called a bad name therefore the gays are meany meany poopheads. That one was the most pathetic. No wonder they lost, they sound like those sore losers who were against integration back in the day. That is what the no side looks like, by their own doing.

FAQ: Ontario's Bill 28

Make of these what you will.
Oh noes, non traditional families will be fully recognized by law. The sky is falling. trololol
Ontario Passes Law Ensuring Equal Recognition for All Parents and Children

And really you went to Canada to point out "ramifications?" Dude, what about the Netherlands? They've had gay marriage for over a decade. How about Germany? Finland? Argentina? Brazil? New Zealand? Norway? Portugal? Denmark? Iceland? Ireland? Sweden? Spain? The list goes on. Seriously, you have a sizable map to choose from.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
When did I insist on any of that?
Here:
They should call it something else instead of trying to dictate their own standards to what God has instituted.
What rattles me most is the demand to call their union a "marriage" when it violates all the laws of God pertaining to his arrangement.
He has rules for his own institution....but its almost as if this issue is designed to humiliate God and to force acceptance from people to whom it will never be acceptable.
I will personally never accept a gay marriage as valid no matter what the law states.
don't make a mockery of marriage by using the word to describe what gays are doing.
they shouldn't expect to have their opinions forced on me.
Don't let anyone tell you that marriage isn't God's arrangement. No human has the right to tamper with it IMV.
why revive (what is to me) a perverted version of it? That makes no sense unless it is to lead somewhere else.

Even non religious people are repelled by SSM.
They do, but far, far less frequently than Abrahamics. And plenty of religions have no objections to same-sex marriage at all.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Gays have no right to override God's laws and to redefine his arrangement.

How can an adult person say such a thing without feeling ashamed of himself?

Were I a god-believer you would have offended me deeply.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
How can an adult person say such a thing without feeling ashamed of himself?

Or even herself? :p and I have no feelings of shame at all. I feel as passionately about my beliefs as any gay person does about their right to believe as they wish.

Were I a god-believer you would have offended me deeply.

If people can get offended by an opinion, then the problem lies with them.......IMO. :facepalm:

I didn't vote, but it doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. I favor the Bible over public opinion...Jesus did too.
It is my choice to make, is it not? This is a public forum on a topic that elicits strong emotion, especially from the many gay posters who seem to come out of the woodwork when this issue is raised. I understand that it is personal to you all. It isn't to me and I wish everyone would just let it go. We will have it on our news for days or even weeks with gay weddings and pictures of gay people making what I believe is a mockery of marriage. That is my opinion.

If gays can be offensive to us and we can be offensive to gays....whose offense is more important? :shrug:

Can't we just share the planet and stay out of each others faces? Sounds like a reasonable solution to me.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Genesis 2:24 ......."That is why a man will leave his father and his mother and he will stick to his wife, and they will become one flesh."

Then there is Jesus quoting these words.

Matthew 19:4-6
...."In reply he [Jesus] said: “Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female 5 and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? 6 So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart.

The last part of that scripture is often quoted in marriage vows. Don't let anyone tell you that marriage isn't God's arrangement. No human has the right to tamper with it IMV.
It wasn't in MY marriage vows.
Look, if you want to not marry someone of the same sex, that's fine, I won't interfere. BUT don't try to impose 2000-year old dogma on the rest of the people.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I never demanded civil unions for gays but only asked why that wasn't good enough for them?
Why shouldn't they get married? More to the point, if civil partnerships are good enough, why not have them instead of marriage for straight people too? Why do you want exclusive rights to a word?

(Incidentally, civil partnerships don't actually have all the same rights as marriages, depending on where they are - for example, couples in a civil partnership in certain US states cannot jointly adopt a child and both be considered legal guardians and have to instead individually both register for adopting the child).

When straight people are getting married less and less, doesn't it make you wonder why gays want it so badly?
Equality?

"Normal" (straight)
Your equivocation of these two terms demonstrates your prejudice.

Last edited:

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Or even herself? :p and I have no feelings of shame at all. I feel as passionately about my beliefs as any gay person does about their right to believe as they wish.

If people can get offended by an opinion, then the problem lies with them.......IMO. :facepalm:

I didn't vote, but it doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. I favor the Bible over public opinion...Jesus did too.
It is my choice to make, is it not? This is a public forum on a topic that elicits strong emotion, especially from the many gay posters who seem to come out of the woodwork when this issue is raised. I understand that it is personal to you all. It isn't to me and I wish everyone would just let it go. We will have it on our news for days or even weeks with gay weddings and pictures of gay people making what I believe is a mockery of marriage. That is my opinion.

If gays can be offensive to us and we can be offensive to gays....whose offense is more important? :shrug:

Can't we just share the planet and stay out of each others faces? Sounds like a reasonable solution to me.

You are the one who seems to have an issue here. There are gay people in the world and they want equality, get over it.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"After months of voting and discussion, the results of the same-sex marriage survey have finally landed: we said yes! Curious to see exactly how many people voted Yes and how many voted No? Below are the numbers as we heard them during the official results announcement this morning.

Response_infographic.gif

How many people voted in total?
There were 12.6 million votes counted in total — just over half the population of Australia.

How many people voted Yes?
61.6 percent of the Australian population, or 7,817,247 people voted yes.

How many people voted No?
38.4 percent of the Australian population, or 4,873,987 people voted no.

In Numbers: How Australia Voted in the Same-Sex Marriage Survey
So taking into consideration that there are 24,000,000 people in Australia and only 12,600,000 voted that means that almost half of Australia's population didn't even participate in the vote. Most of us were sick to death of hearing about it TBH.

I look at pictures like this and think.....what do they say at such weddings? "I now pronounce you husband and husband or wife and wife"?
297.gif

images

This will never sit well with those who hold to the Bible's standards. Marriage is defined in scripture as between a man and a woman. They should call it something else instead of trying to dictate their own standards to what God has instituted. It will never have his approval despite what humans think.
Most Aussies have stopped caring about what the god of the Bible thinks.

1280px-AustralianReligiousAffiliation_2.svg.png