• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australian Senator calls for Senate Inquiry of the Scientology Religion

lockyfan

Search "Scientology Senate Enquiry" on youtube to find Senator Nick Xenophon's attack on the religion and calls for senate Inquiry into the Tax Emept Status of Scientology in Australia

rojse

RF Addict
From what I know of Scientology, it does believe on some rather, well, implausible ideas. But how is it any more implausible than believing in the tenets that are associated with, say, Christianity?

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
From what I know of Scientology, it does believe on some rather, well, implausible ideas. But how is it any more implausible than believing in the tenets that are associated with, say, Christianity?
I don't think it's any more or less implausible, but I do think that Scientology was specifically created by Hubbard as a business endeavor and a cash scheme. Sure many of the world's religions have their corrupt money swindles, but I know of none that were intentionally invented for financial gain.
There's a lot of literature floating around that attests to what a scumbag Hubbard was as well as the tactics the church has used to manipulate its followers. Scientologists will cry foul but Operation Clambake is a decent starting point.

rojse

RF Addict
I don't think it's any more or less implausible, but I do think that Scientology was specifically created by Hubbard as a business endeavor and a cash scheme. Sure many of the world's religions have their corrupt money swindles, but I know of none that were intentionally invented for financial gain.
There's a lot of literature floating around that attests to what a scumbag Hubbard was as well as the tactics the church has used to manipulate its followers. Scientologists will cry foul but Operation Clambake is a decent starting point.

I dislike the fact that the Church of Scientology makes money and is not required to account for it, but then, I think that all churches should account for their donations. If the followers of a church are donating their money, they should be able to know what that Church does with that money.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I dislike the fact that the Church of Scientology makes money and is not required to account for it, but then, I think that all churches should account for their donations. If the followers of a church are donating their money, they should be able to know what that Church does with that money.
Definitely.
I think Scientologists feel they're being singled out unfairly when the truth of the matter is that to ascend the ladders and move up the "Bridge of Freedom" (basically the levels they climb to reach the epitome of their powers) requires huge amounts of money. Estimates are that it costs between $300,000 to $500,000 to acheive the highest levels. Scientology pays new members 10% commission to bring in new members who in turn pay large amounts of money to go through auditing and work their way up the ladder to clear. So they're not a religion being persecuted, but a business whose fraudulent practices have been investigated by France and now Australia.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
This is probably the beginning of the end.
such criminal organizations that rely on a docile membership structure for their funds, will inevitably fail when the cost of maintaining discipline and the resulting court cases exceeds their membership income. Bad publicity is more easily spread by to days web culture and is very much more difficult to counter.

They may well be able to maintain an inner core if they become a mafia style Criminal business. Though that process might already have started.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
It doesn't help that our Prime_minister is a Christian. Thats why i hate non-secular leadership, he automatically hates scientiology. If people want to give their money to it, let them.

rojse

RF Addict
It doesn't help that our Prime_minister is a Christian. Thats why i hate non-secular leadership, he automatically hates scientiology. If people want to give their money to it, let them.

It's not people giving the money to them that is the only problem - following their tenets of faith can be quite harmful to its adherents.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
The same can be said of Christianity. Literal interpretations of the bible can be quite harmful to adherents and the surrounding community.

lockyfan

I know exactly what my religion does with its money. Do your "religions"tell you where the money has gone and how much has been donated?

lockyfan

The same can be said of Christianity. Literal interpretations of the bible can be quite harmful to adherents and the surrounding community.

Why is that may I ask you?

if read within the whole context there is nothing wrong with living by the bibles styandards.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I know exactly what my religion does with its money. Do your "religions"tell you where the money has gone and how much has been donated?

All churches , like businesses, have to publish full accounts in the UK.
If you are that interested you can see the details.
Most Churches are registered charities and the rules are even stricter.
Scientology is registered as a business in the UK. as it failed its application for charity status many times.

lockyfan

serious? they failed to be a charity? wow.

We know where our money goes. No one gets paid its all voluntary.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
serious? they failed to be a charity? wow.

We know where our money goes. No one gets paid its all voluntary.

The charity commissioners are very tough in the Uk, They are independent of Government and can not be bought.

Who is we? and what is voluntary?

lockyfan

Everything is voluntary. God wants you to be wholehearted and whole souled (all your being) goes into him. that means time and energy too. Money not so much, it is good for now to get the preaching work and halls build over the world, but even that kind of building is voluntary too.

xkatz

Search "Scientology Senate Enquiry" on youtube to find Senator Nick Xenophon's attack on the religion and calls for senate Inquiry into the Tax Emept Status of Scientology in Australia

Notice how his last name resembles XENU, one of the most evil aliens in all of Scientology :sarcastic But seriously, I think scientology deserves this. It was completely made-up by a man who lived on a boat and had sex with children. The organization basically makes you give all their money to them to become a higher being supposedly (NOT TRUE) and gives people a sense of false hope. I know someone will say, "But don't all religions do that?"; but the answer to that is NO because other religions don't force you to pay money and other religions are at least based on something more realistic (like god, dharma, etc), and the prophets of most other religions were good, integral, honest, and hardworking people.

lockyfan

i nkow that is so true.

but what do you htink of this.

could it b the stasrt of an attack on religion in general?