• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australian Scientists Plan to Resurrect the Extinct Tasmanian Tiger

We Never Know

No Slack
Do you think they will achieve it?

"The Tasmanian tiger, or thylacine, is one of Australia’s most iconic species. Even though it has been extinct since 1936, the slender, striped marsupial maintains its place in Australian mythology because of a constant string of supposed sightings that has captivated the public and the media. Just last year, one group claimed to have spotted the “Tassie tiger” padding through Australia’s forests. The claims were never verified.

Sadly, the Tasmanian tiger is gone — but with advances in biotechnology, that might not have to be the case.

A group of researchers from the University of Melbourne plan to bring the Tasmanian tiger back from the dead. On March 1, they announced the creation of the Thylacine Integrated Genetic Restoration Research (TIGRR) Lab, thanks to a $3.6 million ($5 million AUD) philanthropic donation.

Andrew Pask, a marsupial evolutionary biologist and Tasmanian tiger expert at the University of Melbourne, will lead the project. He notes that yes, the grand challenge of the research is to bring back the Tasmanian tiger from the dead. However, while that is the headline goal, the biotechnology that will be developed along the way is critical for marsupial conservation efforts today.

“It’s not all Jurassic Park and, you know, ‘we shouldn’t be playing God’,” says Pask. “We actually need a lot of this stuff for protecting marsupials right now.”

There have been calls to resurrect the Tasmanian tiger for over two decades. In 1999, paleontologist Michael Archer took over as director of the Australian Museum and committed around $57 million to a project that hoped to clone the iconic marsupial from old specimens. It was called a “fantasy” at the time and by 2005, it was canned.

Since then, two decades of breakthroughs in gene editing have allowed scientists to dream big about “de-extinction,” the process of bringing extinct species back from the dead. The major revolution is thanks to CRISPR, a powerful DNA cut-and-paste tool, which presents a way for scientists to recreate the genetic code of species long extinct.

The technology is at the heart of a proposal to bring back the Woolly Mammoth by 2027, led by the biotech firm Colossal. In September, the company announced it had received $15 million in funding and would attempt to have the first calves in “four to six years” and rewild herds of mammoth into the Arctic.

Decoding the Thylacine
Bringing back a species would require understanding its DNA code, from start to finish.

Scientists would then be able to take cells from a related species and use CRISPR to change that code. For instance, the Tasmanian tiger is related to another marsupial species, the mouse-like dunnart. “It turns out the dunnart is pretty much the closest thing to a thylacine of any living marsupial,” he says.

Starting with a dunnart cell, you can edit in all of the DNA differences to turn it into a Tasmanian tiger. Think of it like turning a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone into a copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. You can leave some of the words, characters, sentences intact, but you’re going to need to rejig and reorder the text so it becomes a completely different book.

The first step is complete. Pask’s group was able to decode the full genome of the Tasmanian tiger in a study published in Nature Ecology & Evolution back in 2017. However, the work needed to mould one species into another is still at least a decade away, Pask estimates. “It is dependent on leaps in that technology over the next few years,” he says.

The point of starting the TIGRR Lab is to use gene editing techniques developed at places like Colossal to make more immediate gains in marsupial gene editing, Pask adds."

You get the idea..full story here.
Australian Scientists Plan to Resurrect the Extinct Tasmanian Tiger – TechiAI

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Whilst I am curious to see if they can pull it off.
Is anyone else here getting “Jurassic Park” vibes from this? Lol

We Never Know

No Slack

That was one of my first thoughts. But he says "“It’s not all Jurassic Park and, you know, ‘we shouldn’t be playing God’,” says Pask"

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but Jurassic Park is about unbridled greed toying with magic. This other project which is not just a film is a way for us (humans) to correct a mistake. It may save more than one species in the end such as our own.

We Never Know

No Slack
I doubt that a litter of thylacines would pose any great threat.

True but I have doubts that they will be genetically the same as the original.
They might regret doing it if they become more invasive/destructive in the wild than they plan.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but Jurassic Park is about unbridled greed toying with magic. This other project which is not just a film is a way for us (humans) to correct a mistake. It may save more than one species in the end such as our own.
My vote is to being back the Dodo. I’m curious to see whether the movies have slandered them or not