• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australian Aboriginal Religion

TTCUSM

Why doesn't the Australian Aboriginal religion have its own forum?
After all, it is the oldest religion on Earth!

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
Because, like most animist systems, there is no set codification of belief and relatively few internet-capable computers in the outback.

joea

Oshoyoi
Because conveying their realizations and experiences into words ( English) is the problem...

croak

Trickster
You make it sound like there is only one 'Australian Aboriginal religion'. There isn't. There was and still is a great variety of beliefs.

Not only that, but calling it the oldest religion on Earth? A great many people would disagree with you.

The Oceanic religions DIR doesn't have much in the way of threads, and I don't know of any active members of RF who believe in the mythologies of the region. Maybe that's the reason?

Because, like most animist systems, there is no set codification of belief and relatively few internet-capable computers in the outback.

Anything changed here in the last few years ? I follow an aboriginal 'religious belief' system and have an Indigenous Elder / Guardian teacher/s .

The above quote amuses me greatly ! Lately I have been out of the loop with the Indigenous .

Why ?

Because I refuse to to do facebook ! Serious !

This is getting ridiculous !

" Is there anybody out there ? "

Because conveying their realizations and experiences into words ( English) is the problem...

Nah ..... not more so than other systems . Try talking, as an English speaker, to an Indian about Vedanta !

Although I would concede that the teachings are better experienced . There is also the issue of connection to 'country' , something one has to feel .

You make it sound like there is only one 'Australian Aboriginal religion'. There isn't. There was and still is a great variety of beliefs.

That is a bit of a modern western view . 'varieties of beliefs' to not preclude 'one belief' . The same as different pieces of a jigsaw puzzle are not in contention with each other .

One may have the story that the 'first people' came here in a canoe , another that they came from out of the landscape, another that it was a woman with a dilly bag full of roots and seeds and babies in her belly walking out of the ocean ..... but never once , have I heard one say to another " You are wrong, this is the real story. "

Its a lot more complex and a lot more intelligent that many give it credit for .

Not only that, but calling it the oldest religion on Earth? A great many people would disagree with you.

I wish they would pop up and say what these religions are .

The Oceanic religions DIR doesn't have much in the way of threads, and I don't know of any active members of RF who believe in the mythologies of the region. Maybe that's the reason?

true .... maybe even you guys aren't around here anymore .

...... thought I would bump incase anyone else is interested or has popped up since .

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
That is a bit of a modern western view . 'varieties of beliefs' to not preclude 'one belief' . The same as different pieces of a jigsaw puzzle are not in contention with each other .

One may have the story that the 'first people' came here in a canoe , another that they came from out of the landscape, another that it was a woman with a dilly bag full of roots and seeds and babies in her belly walking out of the ocean ..... but never once , have I heard one say to another " You are wrong, this is the real story. "

Its a lot more complex and a lot more intelligent that many give it credit for .

I wish they would pop up and say what these religions are .

true .... maybe even you guys aren't around here anymore .

...... thought I would bump incase anyone else is interested or has popped up since .
Welcome to the boards. I'm an animist--that may take some explaining, because my meaning is probably not anything like what you think it means--and I'm always interested in hearing about people's experiences...and a bit less so in what people believe, although sometimes it helps to understand the stories of the experiences...So if you're interested in that, I'm game!

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Australian Indigenous and Aboriginal beliefs and culture is a difficult topic.

1) There is no one uniform set of beliefs. This seems to differ between areas.
2) Language barrier
3) There has been a lot of erasure due to communities being christianized
4) I am not sure how the communities would feel about non indigenous and aboriginal people making assumptions about their beliefs and culture without having a strong elder presence online

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

2) Language barrier
4) I am not sure how the communities would feel about non indigenous and aboriginal people making assumptions about their beliefs and culture without having a strong elder presence online
This is as it should be. As I understand it, there are traditions and experiences that can be openly discussed (despite language and other such issues), but there are other things that can only be discussed within the community, and still other matters that can only be discussed with/by the appropriate elders of the community. I would expect a member of the community to discuss their experiences and knowledge within such context/limits, and not to represent their knowledge and experience as universal among the Aborigines.

Welcome to the boards. I'm an animist--that may take some explaining, because my meaning is probably not anything like what you think it means--

Hi. I am interested in hearing people's 'meanings' . For me, animism means I can appreciate the 'sentience' in all things, and that 'God' is the physical Universe and all its 'interactions' . ..... briefly .

How did I do ?

and I'm always interested in hearing about people's experiences...and a bit less so in what people believe,

My beliefs are flexible , I try to keep them separate from what I know and understand and what I feel . I would rather use them to an end, than have them use me .

although sometimes it helps to understand the stories of the experiences...So if you're interested in that, I'm game!

Yes, I am into understanding the stories of our experiences ...... did you want to offer one , or do you want to hear one of mine ? If so , what sort ?

[ I seem to be running into some posting problems here ( W10 – Goggle Chrome , it seems good on other forums . What are you guys using ? ) . I was making a response to this post and it went haywire, lost it , no controls in post box ? ]

Try this way ;

Yes, see my post above on that. This isn’t and shouldn’t be a problem. Only in the observer. ‘Beliefs’, or let’s say, stories, knowledge, culture, teachings, differ between areas as ‘areas’ ( country, ‘landscape’ ) are not separate from these things.

2) Language barrier

Only on a deeper level and for more advanced teaching and learning . Most speak good English .

True, a lot. But not all. Some people never adopted it in the first place, some did and still practiced and participated in their own culture as well.

As far as teaching goes ; people should not teach or sell culture ( eg artwork ) if they do not have authority / permission to .

Well, no one likes people making wrong assumptions about their beliefs and culture . But with the idea of a ‘strong elder presence’ , that depends on the level of teaching. One can Google ‘ Australian Aboriginal Astrology and read what one wants. One can check out Wardaman Culture ‘creation story’ , and maybe get a paper from Sydney Uni written in collaboration with ‘Uncle Bill’ – a very senior and strong Wardaman Elder . Information can be shared. They publish a lot nowadays and have some great websites and outreach programs.

http://lryb.aiatsis.gov.au/PDFs/aasj04.02_drew.pdf

They have teachings for non-indigenous and want to share them . Some are quite open in teaching about their culture, in variety of ways , including , up to, tertiary education levels .

Again, there are levels ; but sometimes, the ‘simplest’ teachings can be the most important and vital.

Maybe some people reading this might want to meet and Aboriginal elder and ‘strong culture man’?

This is as it should be. As I understand it, there are traditions and experiences that can be openly discussed (despite language and other such issues), but there are other things that can only be discussed within the community, and still other matters that can only be discussed with/by the appropriate elders of the community. I would expect a member of the community to discuss their experiences and knowledge within such context/limits, and not to represent their knowledge and experience as universal among the Aborigines.

Thats right !

Just to be clear I am not purporting to teach anything or represent anyone. I do live in Australia , I was born here, I have strong connection to country . Am I Aboriginal ? I say no, but some of them say I am ..... <shrug>

I look white though :)

- I got painted up once , by them, in a group, the design was made by lashing a fine bunch of pine needles dipped in white clay slurry. It didnt show up on me so they had to make me black first with charcoal from the fire, then paint me white ... to our great amusement :D

... oh yeah, great sense of humor too !

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Hi. I am interested in hearing people's 'meanings' . For me, animism means I can appreciate the 'sentience' in all things, and that 'God' is the physical Universe and all its 'interactions' . ..... briefly .
How did I do ?

Sounds like a good version for you!:cool:
I am surrounded by other-than-human-persons, all of whom are kin/relations to me, and many of whom are very different than me. Some really like/care about me and mine, some others really dislike/don't care about me and mine, and the vast majority mostly never acknowledge me, nor I them. But they all have volition...sentience is a good word, but often causes problems for most Western people, I find...and I don't do deities at this point...

My beliefs are flexible , I try to keep them separate from what I know and understand and what I feel . I would rather use them to an end, than have them use me .

Very cool, man!:cool: Experience is the root, everything else is just a construct that can and should be changed if it doesn't fit well with experience...

Yes, I am into understanding the stories of our experiences ...... did you want to offer one , or do you want to hear one of mine ? If so , what sort ?
Always glad to hear what others think is important. I grew up without a pagan or animistic tradition in my family, so I've had to learn as the spirits choose to teach me...like the time in first or second grade where I made fun of another student for peeing his pants...only to do so myself the next day...it usually takes a smack upside my head like that...Others would say that was a "god-smack," and a few years ago, I would have, too. But I've realized I can't comprehend some universal deity, so I deal with the spirit level that I can understand: one of my guardian/guide spirits saw an opportunity to teach me a lesson I needed to learn.:oops:

One needs to be open and aware if you're going to be an animist, paying attention to what is going on around, because that's where your kin are going to be communicating at you. If you're focused on some transcendental deity, you'll only get transcendental communication when you get into that appropriate space...

EDIT: if you're not familiar with how this works, be sure to read what I wrote inside your response...just click the "click to expand" tab...

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Thats right !

Just to be clear I am not purporting to teach anything or represent anyone. I do live in Australia , I was born here, I have strong connection to country . Am I Aboriginal ? I say no, but some of them say I am ..... <shrug>

I look white though :)

- I got painted up once , by them, in a group, the design was made by lashing a fine bunch of pine needles dipped in white clay slurry. It didnt show up on me so they had to make me black first with charcoal from the fire, then paint me white ... to our great amusement :D

... oh yeah, great sense of humor too !
Are you an aussie rules fan? (if so...) Who you barrack for?

Nope . It is popular with many Indigenous though. Some even say they had an original version . :)

My background and interest (still) , is in martial arts and kobudo . Although they tried to make me the new school footy and athletics champ ... like my big brother at same school was . Sorry guys, that was him , not me .

{ Aside ; more stories - Big brother was up north in Aboriginal Community, visiting friend. Locals asked him who he was, he said " ....... " ( some famous Aussie Rules player, cant remember ... cant even name one myself , lets say ; Sam Jones ) ... and they all laugh and " Yeah sure ! .... Right mate .... Oh, you think so ? etc "

next day, he is walking along and he hears " OI ! Sam ! " . He doesnt look back, just turns a bit to put his arm up and wave at them ... and something hits his hand and he grabs it and manages to hang on. It was footy and they had lobbed it at his head and yelled out to him after they threw it .

Totally blind fluke catch . But he acts likes he meant to do it, walks over and signs the ball 'Sam Jones' and hands it back to them .

:D }

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Nope . It is popular with many Indigenous though. Some even say they had an original version . :)

My background and interest (still) , is in martial arts and kobudo . Although they tried to make me the new school footy and athletics champ ... like my big brother at same school was . Sorry guys, that was him , not me .

{ Aside ; more stories - Big brother was up north in Aboriginal Community, visiting friend. Locals asked him who he was, he said " ....... " ( some famous Aussie Rules player, cant remember ... cant even name one myself , lets say ; Sam Jones ) ... and they all laugh and " Yeah sure ! .... Right mate .... Oh, you think so ? etc "

next day, he is walking along and he hears " OI ! Sam ! " . He doesnt look back, just turns a bit to put his arm up and wave at them ... and something hits his hand and he grabs it and manages to hang on. It was footy and they had lobbed it at his head and yelled out to him after they threw it .

Totally blind fluke catch . But he acts likes he meant to do it, walks over and signs the ball 'Sam Jones' and hands it back to them .

:D }
Love the story! The spirits do funny things sometimes;)

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Thanks so much for your responses and input Electriceclectic. I am enjoying reading through them!