• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia: Rio Tinto Allegedly Threw Ancient Aboriginal Artifacts in the Trash

danieldemol

Premium Member
'An Aboriginal group is accusing an Australian mining giant of destroying priceless historical materials and keeping their destruction secret for decades, claiming that some artifacts were quite literally thrown into the trash...

...'“So little was the respect for either the state’s conditions, or for the cultural heritage that was destroyed on a massive scale, hundreds of Eastern Guruma cultural artefacts ended up in the bin,” the submission continues. “It is WGAC’s view that the accidental, and then deliberate, discarding and destruction of Eastern Guruma cultural material was never disclosed to the Eastern Guruma people. It is a secret that has been kept by [Rio Tinto’s subsidiary] and the government for some 25 years.”

While the government has standards in place for how mining companies like Rio Tinto need to go about handling and treating Aboriginal sites, there’s actually a separate piece of legislation in place just for this specific mine that insulates Rio Tinto from oversight and legal action from Aboriginal people. The WGAC said in its submission that that specific law needs to be reconsidered in light of its allegations.'

Source: Rio Tinto Allegedly Threw Ancient Aboriginal Artifacts in the Trash

Sounds to me like a good idea to review the laws that protect Rio Tinto from legal action.

In my opinion.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Yes, the river turns red from all the pollution from the mine.