• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia has a new Prime Minister. Again.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep, musical chairs down here over almost a decade now.
So, we don't actually elect a Prime Minister, but rather we elect a party. The head of that party is the Prime Minister.
So if the party (Liberals in this case) dump their leader, the replacement becomes Prime Minister.

There's more to it than that, but that's close enough.

Oh, and for anyone interested, the Liberal Party is the main conservative party, and old mate Scott Morrison (the new PM) is a Pentecostal, one of 10 Liberal Party members who obstained from the vote here on marriage equality (after the electorate answered resoundingly in the positive via a non-binding plebiscite the Liberals forced on us at great cost and no point!!)

I've mentioned here before, I'm a centrist and a swinging voter. I had high hopes for Malcolm Turnball (the outgoing PM) but he was largely ineffectual. I'm wary of Morrison (he's certainly more conservative) but he has at least showed himself to be pragmatic and flexible fiscally.
Still, the social conservatism troubles me.

The alternative new leader considered (Dutton) was more conservative across the board, and I have to admit to relief he didn't win.

So...good luck, Scott Morrison. I hope my fears are unfounded, and you do a good job for all Australians.

Scott Morrison wins Liberal party leadership with Frydenberg to be deputy – politics live

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Our politics seem more and more like a soap opera every day. I half expected the breaking news story to start out with a recap of last weeks episode followed by a shocking reveal of some melodramatic secret.
What is the point of our elections if the top dog barely stays in office for more than a year or so? It's just a huge jousting tournament and it's getting out of hand.

My apathy towards bi elections and what have you has been increasing ever since Rudd was ousted. I just can't be bothered any more (though I will still vote, I ain't going to get a fine for their nonsense!)