• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia Defense Minister Calls for US Expansion in Indo-Pacific

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Australia Defense Minister Calls for US Expansion in Indo-Pacific - Bloomberg

He said the region is facing a military build-up "at a rate unseen since World War II." That seems ominous.

Australia’s Defence Minister Richard Marles has called for the US to grow its military presence in the Indo-Pacific, warning that a failure to maintain the balance of power in the region could be “catastrophic.”

Speaking in Washington DC on Monday, Marles, who is also Australia’s deputy prime minister, said the region was currently facing a military build-up “at a rate unseen since World War II” as part of an “intensification of major power competition.”

Marles said the invasion of Ukraine by Russia earlier in the year showed the dangers to regional stability when “one country’s determined military build-up convinced its leader that the potential benefit of conflict was worth the risk.”

“In the years ahead, the US-Australia alliance will not only have to operate in a much more challenging strategic environment in the Indo-Pacific. It will need to contribute to a more effective balance of military power aimed at avoiding a catastrophic failure of deterrence,” he said.

Marles is on his first visit to the US since his center-left Labor party won power in an election in May. During his visit to Washington, the Australian minister will meet with his US counterpart, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.

The new Australian administration, under Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, has spoken bluntly about the potential threat to the region from the Chinese government while also attempting to repair diplomatic ties with Beijing.

Marles said on July 3 to Sky News that China was attempting to “shape the world around it in a way that we’ve not seen before.” The Australian defense minister also met with his Chinese counterpart, Wei Fenghe, in Singapore in June.

In his speech to the Center for Strategic and International Studies, Marles said Australia would take “greater responsibility for its own security,” including investing in the country’s defense capabilities. “This will include capabilities such as longer-range strike weapons, cyber capabilities and area denial systems tailored to a broader range of threats,” he said.

Marles’ speech comes as Australia is sending high-level representatives to the Pacific Islands Forum, including Prime Minister Albanese and Foreign Minister Penny Wong, in an attempt to fend off growing influence by Beijing in the region.

News of the signing of a security agreement between the Solomon Islands and China in April shocked Australia’s foreign policy and defense establishment. At the time, Wong called it the Australia’s worst foreign policy failure since World War II. Since coming to office in May, Wong has made four trips to the Pacific to burnish Australia’s diplomatic credentials in the region.

Related article: Australia foreign minister urges Pacific neighbors to unite - ABC News (go.com)

Much of the world's attention has been on Ukraine these days, but it might pay to keep an eye on the Pacific as well. Should there be an Asia-Pacific Rim version of NATO?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Australia Defense Minister Calls for US Expansion in Indo-Pacific - Bloomberg

He said the region is facing a military build-up "at a rate unseen since World War II." That seems ominous.

Related article: Australia foreign minister urges Pacific neighbors to unite - ABC (go.com)

Much of the world's attention has been on Ukraine these days, but it might pay to keep an eye on the Pacific as well. Should there be an Asia-Pacific Rim version of NATO?

With the advent of China building man-made military islands, I think it prudent that they do.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
How about instead we send money to Australia, so they can make some carriers? Lets get out of the world theater.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
How about instead we send money to Australia, so they can make some carriers? Lets get out of the world theater.

I remember coming across something on Quora where some Navy fan said that four U.S. submarines could sink the entire Chinese Navy. I was trying to find it but couldn't. It did seem like idle braggadocio, but I can't say either way.

I think the US and Australia recently made a deal for submarines, but not sure about carriers. They'll probably have to keep a closer eye on the Solomons.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember coming across something on Quora where some Navy fan said that four U.S. submarines could sink the entire Chinese Navy. I was trying to find it but couldn't. It did seem like idle braggadocio, but I can't say either way.

I think the US and Australia recently made a deal for submarines, but not sure about carriers. They'll probably have to keep a closer eye on the Solomons.
Japan is supposedly making the new latest in carriers. They have some hot new stuff.