• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia: 3,500 selfish people gather in Sydney for antilockdown protest

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
BLM protesters should have worn masks and practiced social distancing as well. And I certainly never called for the protestors to be locked up.
I'm not sure why you consider saying people who don't wear face masks and don't social distance are spreading disease and selfish is a double standard.
I was asking your opinion on it.

That's not what I said. The double standard is the lack of outrage over people violating lockdowns and Covid mandates when it's a BLM protest but not when it's for other causes.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I was asking your opinion on it.

That's not what I said. The double standard is the lack of outrage over people violating lockdowns and Covid mandates when it's a BLM protest but not when it's for other causes.
Well I agree with all people having the right to protest, however not all protest causes are equal, some are motivated by concern for others, and some are motivated by concern for self interest. Nonetheless I personally would not have charged them for merely protesting the lockdown provided they wore masks and practiced social distancing.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
These are the stats for Australia:

They don't need any lockdowns.

Can you please not base proclamations like that upon a quick review of overall case numbers?

Our strategy is to zero-base community transmission. This has been successful, if costly in some ways. Sydney is a mess at the moment because of their refusal to adhere to that strategy and it is a fast growing issue that could compromise the strategy nationally.

If we want to change strategy, fair enough. But it shouldn't be these boofheads making a call on it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think you can justify a lockdown after 7 months of no deaths. You're done.

We haven't had 7 months of no deaths, and unless you're ready for a detailed discussion on Australian policy and strategy, you shouldn't be calling this.

If you are up for that discussion, by all means go for it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That is what they call "Freedom of Religion", isn't it? And "Freedom of Expression"

I never forget @ChristineM say on RF "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
I like @ChristineM her statement, hence I find it hypocritical if people disapprove of a protester holding up that sign

And by the way, if you take the sign literally, using proper English interpretation, there is nothing wrong with it

Note: I only replied to the protester's opinion as in "Freedom of Religion", not to the crowds or other stuff
Note: Reminds me about people objecting to "picture of Muhammad" yes or no? Hypocrisy easily raises it's hood

Phhht.

They can express whatever opinion they want. Gathering breaks health laws, letting off flares breaks safety laws, and punching a horse in the face deserves a solid kick in the nuts as a response.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well I agree with all people having the right to protest, however not all protest causes are equal, some are motivated by concern for others, and some are motivated by concern for self interest. Nonetheless I personally would not have charged them for merely protesting the lockdown provided they wore masks and practiced social distancing.
It doesn't matter what the motivations are and you'll find both types everywhere. The rules are supposed to equally apply to all, right?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't matter what the motivations are and you'll find both types everywhere. The rules are supposed to equally apply to all, right?

We don't have the same freedom of speech laws you guys do. Where there are health protocols in place, they supercede the right to gather.

You can argue the toss on that, of course, but this isn't a case of rules being applied differently to these boofheads just because they're boofheads.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
We don't have the same freedom of speech laws you guys do. Where there are health protocols in place, they supercede the right to gather.

You can argue the toss on that, of course, but this isn't a case of rules being applied differently to these boofheads just because they're boofheads.
Yes, I have long realized that the US has the strongest freedom of speech and expression laws that I know of in the world. It's one of the things that makes me proud to be American.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I have long realized that the US has the strongest freedom of speech and expression laws that I know of in the world. It's one of the things that makes me proud to be American.

Yep, I get it, honestly.

As an Australian, I have all the freedom of speech I want. The State Premier has been openly heckled on camera at times (sometimes in amusing fashion) and people have smashed his office windows without conviction with relation to our lockdowns. I can criticize the Church, our leaders, or redheads. I can speak loudly, and be a tool.

But all nations...even the USA...have limits to free speech enforced by a combination of criminal and civil law. The US is at the extreme end of permissiveness from a criminal law point of view.

If you hold to freedom of speech being the single most important concept for a free nation, then this is something to justifiably take pride in.

I just think freedom of speech is too often seen in binary terms, where it's either completely unfettered or you don't have it. No one's freedom of speech anywhere is completely unfettered. And everything has a cost.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yep, I get it, honestly.

As an Australian, I have all the freedom of speech I want. The State Premier has been openly heckled on camera at times (sometimes in amusing fashion) and people have smashed his office windows without conviction with relation to our lockdowns. I can criticize the Church, our leaders, or redheads. I can speak loudly, and be a tool.

But all nations...even the USA...have limits to free speech enforced by a combination of criminal and civil law. The US is at the extreme end of permissiveness from a criminal law point of view.

If you hold to freedom of speech being the single most important concept for a free nation, then this is something to justifiably take pride in.

I just think freedom of speech is too often seen in binary terms, where it's either completely unfettered or you don't have it. No one's freedom of speech anywhere is completely unfettered. And everything has a cost.
Well, yeah. You can't slander or make violent threats against people (that's menacing, legally). I think that's reasonable.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Damn traitors, they should be brought up before the magistrate and sentenced to Transportation to one of the colonies... Oh, wait. :p

Surely at some point we get to ship our boofheads to England?

If I can be a little more controversial, I'd support them sailing up the Thames and claiming London as unoccupied land...ROFL.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes many people are being led around by a ring in their nose to follow all the silly regulations, that we like to pretend give us security. Freedom seems to be a lost concept in much of the world.

Almost as lost as shared responsibility it seems.