• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australasian Robins

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Not related to European Robins but apparently looked similar enough that the early settlers called them Robins. They're actually more closely related to Crows and Ravens, and could be an example of convergent evolution. Not a lot of examples of them around here.

This is an Eastern Yellow Robin, fairly common and one of the easiest birds to photograph as they're not shy around humans.

DSC_8554 -1.jpg

RestlessSoul

Rose Robin, they migrate here from higher altitudes in the winter. One of the hardest birds I've tried to photograph, I'm yet to get a decent photo of them. First pic is a male, the 2nd a female.

View attachment 62255
View attachment 62256

Crows, I have found, frequently refuse to be photographed. They are everywhere in England, the blackguards, but point a camera at one and he’s off.

Robin Redbreast is the opposite. They’ll come up to your feet, and look right into the camera, at least they will if you’re on their territory. I thought the little fellow in my dad’s tiny garden was being friendly, turns out he wanted to fight me.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It seems like naming things after other, familiar things is pretty common.

Here in the US we have robins, but they're thrushes, and considerably larger than the old world, flycatcher robins.
220px-Turdus-migratorius-002.jpg

But after a couple months in a rickety sailing ship and settling in a wild, unfamiliar new world, the early settlers were eager to name the first bird they saw with a ruddy breast after something familiar.

Last edited: