• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aussie rules vs NFL

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
During the early lockdowns there was seemingly an increase of (likely bored) American sports fans watching/reacting to apparently the only available game at the time due to restrictions. The AFL or “Aussie Rules/Footy.”

A little context or refresher for those who may be unfamiliar with the weird Frankenstein monster that is AFL

The reactions were kind of interesting to see as an Aussie. If you watch the sport regularly you expect tall athletes kicking with precision, very long and high kicks, very rough tackles and people jumping on each other’s backs to catch a kicked ball (called a mark.) And even unfortunately some collisions that may result in blood or concussions. This is par for the course.
This seems to surprise NFL fans in particular.
Which is interesting to me. I always equate NFL roughly to Rugby just with shoulder pads. But I will say you guys cannot kick very well. No offence.

So what’s your take? How do you think the code compares to the NFL or other contact sports even?
Any questions about the weird sport?
Watch any matches? Discover any new sports during lockdowns?
Find the fans crazy for wanting to watch a bunch of guys run into each other? (Heh.)
Have at it

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
American football is very sedate compared to Aussie rules, where everyone on the field runs what appears to be a marathon in the course of a match.

Although, the last couple years, it seems to me like there are fewer high marks and fewer collisions than when I started watching back in the late VFL days...

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I like the no offside aspect. I don't like how in afootball the people have to keep lining up repeatedly. AFL is more active like hockey is.

It looks much more dangerous.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
During the early lockdowns there was seemingly an increase of (likely bored) American sports fans watching/reacting to apparently the only available game at the time due to restrictions. The AFL or “Aussie Rules/Footy.”

A little context or refresher for those who may be unfamiliar with the weird Frankenstein monster that is AFL

The reactions were kind of interesting to see as an Aussie. If you watch the sport regularly you expect tall athletes kicking with precision, very long and high kicks, very rough tackles and people jumping on each other’s backs to catch a kicked ball (called a mark.) And even unfortunately some collisions that may result in blood or concussions. This is par for the course.
Which is interesting to me. I always equate NFL roughly to Rugby just with shoulder pads. But I will say you guys cannot kick very well. No offence.

So what’s your take? How do you think the code compares to the NFL or other contact sports even?
Find the fans crazy for wanting to watch a bunch of guys run into each other? (Heh.)
Have at it
I think the difference between the NFL and rugby is best captured if you think of the helmets and shoulder pads as weapons rather than as protection.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In a local park, before COVID there was some Aussie rule fooball. From the little I saw, it seemed a lot more sedate than described in this thread.

rosends

I enjoy watching AFL and this helps with some of the scoring, but what is the point value if someone hand-passes or kicks something and a person catches it without jumping? The way the video words it, it seems that a leaping catch has a point value or at least a play stoppage allowing a kick-value.

PureX

Veteran Member
It took me years of watching before I could even comprehend the most basic rules...well, they're more like guidelines...:D
Yes. Throw that weird misshapen ball at someone, and if he's foolish enough to catch it, everyone jumps on him and pounds him into the turf. The points are either assessed randomly, or based on how long it took the 'catcher' to get back up.

No 'rules', really. Just Aussie 'instinct'. :)

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Foreigners often scoff at the helmets and pads worn in U.S. football, yet chronic traumatic encephalopathy is still a common and serious issue.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Have at it

I lived in Australia for a bit. When I watched some AFL the main rule seemed to be to push the opposing player's face as deep into the earth as possible.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I lived in Australia for a bit. When I watched some AFL the main rule seemed to be to push the opposing players face as deep into the earth as possible.
In Aussie Rules, unlike soccer football, when there's a collision, no one pretends to be hurt (yes there are occasions when players don't move) but none of this fakey rolling around grimacing behavior in the hopes of drawing a penalty. If you do that, the ball is already far away and no one cares except your defensemen trying to keep the other side from scoring.

The same if fisticuffs break out...they're playing on without you...

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the difference between the NFL and rugby is best captured if you think of the helmets and shoulder pads as weapons rather than as protection.
Do you think the armor encourages more injuries? I don't know, but maybe it does encourage head injuries. I think in afootball that gameplay encourages head injuries, somehow. They have to carry the ball at all times or throw it, and its hard shape means they can't dribble it. In afootball the ball will always be somewhere near to the player's head or chest.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Which is interesting to me. I always equate NFL roughly to Rugby just with shoulder pads.

I too equate NFL with rugby with the difference NFL players use Kevlar armour, rugby players use hospitals

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Have at it
First time I heard of it a few years ago I started calling it "WWF Football," or what happens when you combine pro-wrestling with football.
I too equate NFL with rugby with the difference NFL players use Kevlar armour, rugby players use hospitals
I equate the NFL to oversized ogres who seriously lack in the athletic department.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think the armor encourages more injuries? I don't know, but maybe it does encourage head injuries. I think in afootball that gameplay encourages head injuries, somehow. They have to carry the ball at all times or throw it, and its hard shape means they can't dribble it. In afootball the ball will always be somewhere near to the player's head or chest.
In fairness the AFL style of play can cause head injuries by default. Albeit through accidental collisions whilst going for the ball.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I enjoy watching AFL and this helps with some of the scoring, but what is the point value if someone hand-passes or kicks something and a person catches it without jumping? The way the video words it, it seems that a leaping catch has a point value or at least a play stoppage allowing a kick-value.
If you catch or mark the ball from a handball, you’re still considered fair game and can be tackled at any time. If you catch or mark the ball from a kick (I think it has to travel at least 15 metres, but don’t quote me on that) that hasn’t hit the ground or been touched you can either stop on the spot and take an unimpeded kick or play on immediately. Playing on is encouraged to keep the flow of the game consistent.
Stoppages from “speccies” or spectacular marks might be a bit longer to allow the players to recover. But they’re usually on their feet within seconds anyway.
On the field in practice roughly 15- 20 seconds are given to a player who marks the ball from a kick, allowing said player to strategise their next move. Ie look for teammates to pass to or even just run down the clock. If a mark is paid in a player’s inside 50 line (basically their team’s scoring zone) the stoppage given is a lot longer by default. Since the player will often take their time to size up their kick towards the goal and mentally prepare for it. It’s these stoppages that are the extra time at the end of each quarter

A mark is a mark regardless of how’s it’s taken, so long as it’s taken cleanly (caught without fumbling it at first. You’re allowed to drop it when you hit the ground, so long as you controlled the ball properly for a time.)
Those instances of leaping to catch or mark the ball are merely seen as great feats of athleticism. There’s no real point to them other than being the main highlights discussed and praised after a match. And it gets the crowd excited to see them.
I suppose it contributes to a player’s overall stats and goes towards getting them points for any awards for players during the season. But honestly, they’re just seen as a cool thing done by players, really.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
In a local park, before COVID there was some Aussie rule fooball. From the little I saw, it seemed a lot more sedate than described in this thread.
Umm yeah because a match played in a park by amateurs will not be as full on as in pro matches with stakes such as winning enough games to go to the finals (play offs.) ???