• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attempted Robbery

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Just getting home from assisting local police investigate and attempted robbery that occurred a couple of hours ago at one of my restaurants.

Occurring after the dining room closed, the perpetrator ordered food like a regular guest at the drive thru speaker, drove around to the window, and as the cashier opened the window to collect, she pulled a gun and demanded money.

The cashier, thinking quickly upon seeing the gun, closed and locked the drive thru window and yelled "gun!"

I'm struggling to decide if this brave move was heroic or foolish. While he stopped the robbery and protected others inside the building, the robber could have pulled the trigger as he closed and locked the window. What do you think?

It also saddens me that someone would threaten an innocent life to steal a few bucks out of a cash drawer. Fortunately, we have some good video and the robber tried to open the window after it was locked leaving fingerprints the police were able to lift, so I'm confident the perpetrator will be caught and brought to justice.

The robber could have pulled the trigger no matter what the employee did. Do something...

Jedster

Its sad that such a thing is so common.

Both quick and foolish thinking on behalf of the cashier.

Not sure what i would have done. I like to think i would have been as brave as the cashier but am aware that fear and gun fixation would have frozen me to the spot.

He needs some recognition of his prompt action.

I agree.
It could have been an automatic reaction, i.e without thought.
Maybe afterwards she thought "WTF did I do!" or "did I really do that?"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think it was probably more like defending the customers inside than the money.
There were no costumers, and regardless it could have escalated the situation. As Salix pointed out, he could have been shot while taking action. Even though that is likely more trouble than the robber wants, it's just not worth the risk.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
There were no costumers, and regardless it could have escalated the situation. As Salix pointed out, he could have been shot while taking action. Even though that is likely more trouble than the robber wants, it's just not worth the risk.

From the OP "While he stopped the robbery and protected others inside the building," i had assumed this was customers.

Also notice my original post on this thread "Both quick and foolish thinking on behalf of the cashier."

Yes it could have gone wrong, luckily it didnt

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Just getting home from assisting local police investigate and attempted robbery that occurred a couple of hours ago at one of my restaurants.

Occurring after the dining room closed, the perpetrator ordered food like a regular guest at the drive thru speaker, drove around to the window, and as the cashier opened the window to collect, she pulled a gun and demanded money.

The cashier, thinking quickly upon seeing the gun, closed and locked the drive thru window and yelled "gun!"

I'm struggling to decide if this brave move was heroic or foolish. While he stopped the robbery and protected others inside the building, the robber could have pulled the trigger as he closed and locked the window. What do you think?

It also saddens me that someone would threaten an innocent life to steal a few bucks out of a cash drawer. Fortunately, we have some good video and the robber tried to open the window after it was locked leaving fingerprints the police were able to lift, so I'm confident the perpetrator will be caught and brought to justice.

1. Your employee was brave. Although your staff training may differ from his actions, he should not be criticised in any way.

2. What kind of windows are fitted for 'drive-thru' purchases? In your area (lots of guns?) self locking service windows are a good idea, even if you train your staff to comply with robbers.

3. Because there were only 'a few bucks' at risk, then certainly all your staff could be trained to 'comply with the demands of robbers', but there are kinds of violent people who are clearly 'not of sound mind' and to comply with these types can sometimes increase the danger. Your description does seem to indicate that this robber was out of her mind, what with trying to force a window back open and leaving her prints everywhere..... that suggests an imbalance or drug misuse. Such people don't respond like a professional robber does, and quite often they are crazed..... ergo, if I had been at that window I would have slammed it shut, and hope that it is fitted with auto-slam-locks.

4. If you get a lot of window-robberies, then you might need to consider supplying your window staff with bullet-resistant vests. ?? How hot is it where you are? From Autumn till Spring bullet vests can be worn, indeed they are quite pleasant in very cold weather. In summer they cannot be worn for long.

5. Please research the properties of Acrylic Sheeting in 12-18mm thicknesses..... these can be fitted over ordinary glazing and because they bend when hit by hammers, bullets etc they absorb energy without breaking so easily. Ask for some samples and get some tests carried out...... ?? maybe?

6. Your employee was on the spot. He made an on-the-spot decision. You need top thank him without this turning in to any kind of order for other employees...... Difficult? Sure...... but you're the boss! :D

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Maybe it's time to consider bullet-proofing all the drive-thru windows at your restaurants. Furthermore, keep in mind. good guys with guns is what is often needed to stop bad guys with guns..
Or to provide them with the opportunity and the motivation not to hesitate in carrying and use such guns.

Sorry, not a big fan of the NRA lobby.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Or to provide them with the opportunity and the motivation not to hesitate in carrying and use such guns.

Sorry, not a big fan of the NRA lobby.

I'm an NRA member whose membership fees in part do pay for NRA lobbying in order to protect our 2nd Amendment Constitutional right to be well-armed, but I myself I'm not an NRA lobbyist. There are some issues where I respectfully disagree with the NRA. For example, in contrast with the N.R.A., I support universal background checks on those purchasing firearms and I also support red-flag laws allowing police or family members to petition a state court to order the temporary removal of firearms from a person who likely present a danger to others or themselves,

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I'm an NRA member whose membership fees in part do pay for NRA lobbying in order to protect our 2nd Amendment Constitutional right to be well-armed, but I myself I'm not an NRA lobbyist. There are some issues where I respectfully disagree with the NRA. For example, in contrast with the N.R.A., I support universal background checks on those purchasing firearms and I also support red-flag laws allowing police or family members to petition a state court to order the temporary removal of firearms from a person who likely present a danger to others or themselves,

But when fast-food service employees could be advised to keep a loaded gun under the counter, that must surely tell us all what a crazy situation exists in that country?

I like bullet resistant screens, etc, and in winter bullet resistant vests can be comfortable and warm, but I wouldn't go anywhere near any retail or service company whose employees,,,,, unwarranted, untrained and inexperienced,,,, were issued with guns. No way!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But when fast-food service employees could be advised to keep a loaded gun under the counter, that must surely tell us all what a crazy situation exists in that country?

I like bullet resistant screens, etc, and in winter bullet resistant vests can be comfortable and warm, but I wouldn't go anywhere near any retail or service company whose employees,,,,, unwarranted, untrained and inexperienced,,,, were issued with guns. No way!
I agree. Bullet proof glass and a bin of grenades so that one can toss one out at a moments notice. Just the knowledge that the facility has that should keep everyone safer. You see a gun relies on training and nerve. If one pulls the pin on a grenade, tosses it, and closes the resistant windows no training or nerves needed.

Problem solved. Hmm, perhaps I should become a business consultant in my spare time.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

I'd feel very comfortable eating at restaurant where the store manager or some bystanders would be well-trained well-armed persons packing heat.

Oklahoma City shooting: Armed bystanders kill restaurant shooter - CNN

I reckon would-be thieves would not try robbing places where there'd be well-armed persons around; armed thieves would more likely try robbing soft target places where they'd not have to worry about getting shot.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I agree. Bullet proof glass and a bin of grenades so that one can toss one out at a moments notice. Just the knowledge that the facility has that should keep everyone safer. You see a gun relies on training and nerve. If one pulls the pin on a grenade, tosses it, and closes the resistant windows no training or nerves needed.

Problem solved. Hmm, perhaps I should become a business consultant in my spare time.
Ha ha!
Come to Big Joe's fast food!
But have your money ready, 'cos if you reach for your glove compartment you'll end up holding a grenade with your chips.

Love it......

....or getting shot by a scared assistant.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I'd feel very comfortable eating at restaurant where the store manager or some bystanders would be well-trained well-armed persons packing heat.

Oklahoma City shooting: Armed bystanders kill restaurant shooter - CNN

I reckon would-be thieves would not try robbing places where there'd be well-armed persons around; armed thieves would more likely try robbing soft target places where they'd not have to worry about getting shot.
Yeah....good luck with that.

Question....... If an employee shoots you by accident, or if you made a strange movement, does the employee have third party public liability insurance, or does the restaurant?
And after any accident, does the restaurant deny liability, and the employee insist that the restaurant pay the compensation?

Ha ha!
Advert.....
Waiter required for busy restaurant, no experience needed but does require concealed carry licence, own handgun and bullets. Restaurant won't be responsible for employee's decisions with it, though.

Mad mad mad mad mad .... :p

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes it could have gone wrong, luckily it didnt
Yeah. It's something we definitely have to separate the end results from weighing if it was a good decision or not. There may not really have been any or much, but the actions were risky, and I'm sure very few people want to go to the ER or morgue over it. If they do, kudos to them. I'm helping the robbers load the soda machine because getting killed at work with a work uniform on is probably the absolute last way I want to die.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Question....... If an employee shoots you by accident, or if you made a strange movement, does the employee have third party public liability insurance, or does the restaurant?
And after any accident, does the restaurant deny liability, and the employee insist that the restaurant pay the compensation?

Ha ha!
Advert.....
Waiter required for busy restaurant, no experience needed but does require concealed carry licence, own handgun and bullets. Restaurant won't be responsible for employee's decisions with it, though.

Insurance, shminsurance. Those customers knew the score when they used the drive through. Using the drive through all but guarantees a screw-up on your order. Curly fries instead of straight, well r done versus medium rare, and now the occasional hand grenade in the lap.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Insurance, shminsurance. Those customers knew the score when they used the drive through. Using the drive through all but guarantees a screw-up on your order. Curly fries instead of straight, well r done versus medium rare, and now the occasional hand grenade in the lap.
Notice:
Customers accept responsibility for all and any losses. If you move strangely whilst accepting your order, please don't blame the management if you get a .45 hollow point with your meal.

:p

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Notice:
Customers accept responsibility for all and any losses. If you move strangely whilst accepting your order, please don't blame the management if you get a .45 hollow point with your meal.

:p
Now you are getting in the spirit of things.

The only problem with my set up is that misunderstandings might get a bit messy.

PureX

Veteran Member

People react how they react. There really is no point in passing judgment on them, later.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

Ha ha!
Advert.....

"A Dollar General clerk is resting at home today after he shot and killed an armed robber in the Dayton, Ohio store where he worked.

The police said that they did not arrest the clerk because he acted legally, and in self-defense."

dollar store clerk shoots armed robber - Yahoo Search Results

The above incident demonstrates a well-armed store clerk with a gun can stop a would-be robber with a gun.

Kudos to Dollar Store for allowing its clerks to be well-armed and put down a bad guy who shoves a gun into the faces of store clerks.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
"A Dollar General clerk is resting at home today after he shot and killed an armed robber in the Dayton, Ohio store where he worked.

The police said that they did not arrest the clerk because he acted legally, and in self-defense."

dollar store clerk shoots armed robber - Yahoo Search Results

The above incident demonstrates a well-armed store clerk with a gun can stop a would-be robber with a gun.

Kudos to Dollar Store for allowing its clerks to be well-armed and put down a bad guy with shoves guns in the faces of store clerks.

You have not answered my question.

Where a company allows its employees to bring guns to work, does employee error, abuse and accident get full public liability insurance cover by the employer, or is the employee expected to take out personal liability cover?

I wonder what such insurance cover would cost....? In fact, I'll bet that most companies would not consider paying such a premium, nor the employees.

I wouldn't go anywhere near a drive thru' takeaway in the small hours if I knew that the staff were allowed to carry guns.