• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attempted Robbery

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This would-be robber is still on the loose and he is likely lurking around looking to attempt another armed-robbery; unfortunately, he hasn't already been taken down by a good guy with a gun.
How in the hell do you know any of that? You don't. Such as, the robber was a she, no names were given, and we don't know what she's up to or if she's in jail or not. And, it's fortunate if she hasn't been killed. Sure, such a non-violent solution will not be viable or present in all situations, but neither will the chance to use a gun. And this Gunslinger Cowboy Fantasy is dangerous. It does absolutely nothing but kill people. It doesn't make us safe, it doesn't deter violence, and it doesn't address the gun problem America has. Can you imagine what it will look like, a shooter opens fire in a crowded event, and suddenly numerous "good guys" draw their own guns and suddenly they shoot at each other because they have no idea what's actually going on? And what is the SWAT team to make of an active shooter scene with an unknown amount of shooters because there is also an unknown amount of vigilantes running around?

You generally reward behaviors we want to encourage. Rewarding foolery is rather foolish.

If you want to use it as a teaching episode though and say "if it happens again, don't do what he did", you still might want to give him a token of appreciation and praise his bravery as this allows you to protect his feelings while also holding it up as a bad example.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you want to use it as a teaching episode though and say "if it happens again, don't do what he did", you still might want to give him a token of appreciation and praise his bravery as this allows you to protect his feelings while also holding it up as a bad example.
I can't say with certainty because I wasn't there and I don't know the layout, but beyond acknowledging what he did I'm not sure I could reward it in anyway, as those actions are discouraged because they escalate situations, and defending money like that just is not worth it, even when things don't go bad because they could have went especially bad.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Right. The money can be recovered from the insurance.
Money comes second in retail. Besides the store would be sued into oblivion if it allowed its staff to play hero and get shot defending a till. lol

Heyo

Veteran Member
You generally reward behaviors we want to encourage. Rewarding foolery is rather foolish.
If we agree that the action was both foolish and brave, you'd still want to reward the bravery while pointing out the foolery. Next time a situation may call for some courage, say, standing up to a bully, it wouldn't help if the "hero" or a witness remembers only the scolding.

Laika

Premium Member
Just getting home from assisting local police investigate and attempted robbery that occurred a couple of hours ago at one of my restaurants.

I’m glad to hear you and everyone else is safe. Take it easy for a few days and give yourself time to process the shock. Its going to feel a bit surreal for a bit that it could have happened at all. Otherwise, here’s to many free Hugs!

:hugehug:

I'm struggling to decide if this brave move was heroic or foolish. While he stopped the robbery and protected others inside the building, the robber could have pulled the trigger as he closed and locked the window. What do you think?

I think the priority is to just be glad no-one was hurt. Whatever we might tell ourselves, we honestly don’t know how any of us would respond in that situation when your dealing with split second decisions in the grip of fear. In those circumstances being brave and stupid are often the same thing. Seizing the initiative, being a “coward” and running away takes courage too. Even trained professionals in the police and army who are meant to be calm under fire screw up too. Either way, they are going to need some counselling to clear their head.

It also saddens me that someone would threaten an innocent life to steal a few bucks out of a cash drawer. Fortunately, we have some good video and the robber tried to open the window after it was locked leaving fingerprints the police were able to lift, so I'm confident the perpetrator will be caught and brought to justice.

There is probably a story behind why they did it. Maybe greed, desperation or both. But if they are caught and brought to justice, it will at least stop them doing it again so no one else will be at risk. So thats hopefully a positive that will come out of this. :heart:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If we agree that the action was both foolish and brave, you'd still want to reward the bravery while pointing out the foolery. Next time a situation may call for some courage, say, standing up to a bully, it wouldn't help if the "hero" or a witness remembers only the scolding.
An armed robber is more than a mere bully. I just cannot see justifying actions that are both discouraged and foolish because they increase the chance of harm. If it were to happen again, I wouldn't want "reward" to be a thought in anyone's mind, especially when it would be for something they really shouldn't be doing and are often told to not do.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Just getting home from assisting local police investigate and attempted robbery that occurred a couple of hours ago at one of my restaurants.

Occurring after the dining room closed, the perpetrator ordered food like a regular guest at the drive thru speaker, drove around to the window, and as the cashier opened the window to collect, she pulled a gun and demanded money.

The cashier, thinking quickly upon seeing the gun, closed and locked the drive thru window and yelled "gun!"

I'm struggling to decide if this brave move was heroic or foolish. While he stopped the robbery and protected others inside the building, the robber could have pulled the trigger as he closed and locked the window. What do you think?

It also saddens me that someone would threaten an innocent life to steal a few bucks out of a cash drawer. Fortunately, we have some good video and the robber tried to open the window after it was locked leaving fingerprints the police were able to lift, so I'm confident the perpetrator will be caught and brought to justice.

Its sad that such a thing is so common.

Both quick and foolish thinking on behalf of the cashier.

Not sure what i would have done. I like to think i would have been as brave as the cashier but am aware that fear and gun fixation would have frozen me to the spot.

He needs some recognition of his prompt action.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I can't say with certainty because I wasn't there and I don't know the layout, but beyond acknowledging what he did I'm not sure I could reward it in anyway, as those actions are discouraged because they escalate situations, and defending money like that just is not worth it, even when things don't go bad because they could have went especially bad.

I think it was probably more like defending the customers inside than the money.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Quick thinking on the cashier’s part.
When I worked retail, we were constantly trained to just give the robber anything, take note of their appearance and then call the police.

This is what we train as well, but in the heat of the moment, people don't reflect upon what they were trained to do. They rather react on instinct.

Such a situation probably reflects a person's "true colors." After sleeping on it, I applaud the cashier's reaction.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe it's time to consider bullet-proofing all the drive-thru windows at your restaurants. Furthermore, keep in mind. good guys with guns is what is often needed to stop bad guys with guns..

Yes, the old west was so peaceful. :rolleyes:

Just think of how awesome it would have been had they had bullet proof glass. :rolleyes:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It was both heroic and foolish. You should praise the employee and at the same time make clear to your other employees that that is not a behaviour that you expect from them. Therefore the reward you'll give to the hero should be small and/or idealistic so that it can't be an incentive to repeat that heroism.

Agreed. This is essentially what I did last night.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Occurring after the dining room closed, the perpetrator ordered food like a regular guest at the drive thru speaker, drove around to the window, and as the cashier opened the window to collect, she pulled a gun and demanded money.

The cashier, thinking quickly upon seeing the gun, closed and locked the drive thru window and yelled "gun!"

You may consider installing a device like this just above the drive thru window, and in the event of a robber, the employee can activate it and vaporize the thug.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Brave if the warning was fast. Beside bravery and some foolishness go hand in hand so the focus is on intent.

The reaction and getting the window closed happened in less than a second.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Some of the late night drive through restaurants around here only take credit cards at night so they don't have cash.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This would-be robber is still on the loose and he is likely lurking around looking to attempt another armed-robbery; unfortunately, he hasn't already been taken down by a good guy with a gun. I wish there'd be armed store clerks to shoot would-be armed robbers.

Like I said, we have good video and fingerprints. This is the best evidence I've ever had in a robbery. I'm confident the perpetrator will be caught.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

At least you didn't hire a cat.
CAT CAFE BURGLARIZED; CATS SAT AND WATCHED...